PDA

View Full Version : Using cut outs of real people for animation?

Jean-Paul Lar.
02-19-2006, 02:08 PM
Hello all I was wondering is it illegal to use cut outs of real photos of lets say the trailer park boys, and use them in animation like south park monty python etc. and not get permission? :) and if so is it illegal to model them in 3d and use them?

prospector
02-19-2006, 02:46 PM
yes illegal
yes

having said that
will they come after you?
probably not untill you get above the radar screen

Jean-Paul Lar.
02-19-2006, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the reply prospector.:D I figured it was but wasn't sure thanks again.:thumbsup:

toby
02-19-2006, 03:25 PM
I don't think using someone's likeness in a short film is illegal, it's when you don't get consent when it's used for profit or advertising, that's illegal... I think -

Wonderpup
02-19-2006, 05:31 PM
I was talking to an artist who sells pencil drawings of Lord of the Rings characters, and he claimed that so long as he didn't include copyrighted designs from the films, he was not breaching copyright by drawing the actors faces, as they were real people. ( I thought he was pushing his luck a bit with Gollem though!)

Jean-Paul Lar.
02-19-2006, 05:51 PM
Thanks for the posts guys, Im actually using this for sort of a short film its actually part of the next episode of the cartoon I make called franky vs death.
if you want to check the first episode out. My site is writen below my post you have to copy @ past the link.;D by the way my second episode should be out in a month or so.:thumbsup:

fyborg_1138
02-20-2006, 12:28 AM
I ran across this problem before. A person holds the copyright to his or her likeness. Always get written authorization from the individual if you use a recognizable likeness for any reason, including derived art, even for fair use applications.

Fair use of copyrighted material is covered under section 107 of copyright law. It contains a list of the various purposes for which the reproduction of a particular work may be considered “fair,” such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. For more information, I suggest going to the authoritative source http://www.copyright.gov/.

Also, one never knows when non-profit, educational use may turn into for-profit use and failing to get written authorization for non-profit use may spoil any chances for a profitable use in the future. This happened to me a little while back when I created some derived art for educational purposes from copyrighted material without getting permission from the copyright holder. A few months later, a person wanted to pay me to use some of my derived art images in her publication. I had to turn her down. Profit lost.

Steven.

prospector
02-20-2006, 12:33 AM
that's what I thought

I'm seeing more and more faces and such being blurred or pixelated in commercials done in public of people not directly related to ther commercial.