PDA

View Full Version : hey, BRITS! a little help...

lone
02-16-2003, 12:26 PM
way off topic, but time is a factor, and research isn't panning out. i'm working on a story, set in London, 1930s, and in the interests of accuracy (not to mention not looking like an idiot), i need some clarification on a few things. 1) how much of an effect did the stock market crash/depression have on your side of the pond? 2) is there another word for 'flat'? can i use 'flat' and 'apartment' in the same story? 3) is 'coathanger' a correct term? 4) billiards: is there a slang expression? is 'pool' ever used?

i think that's it. any advice anyone might be willing to give would be greatly appreciated. are there are any good web sites for this sort of thing? thanks.

Skonk
02-16-2003, 12:50 PM
1) Hmm dunno really, i dont think it effected us that much.
2) 'flat' and 'apartment' are both used in the uk, flat is more common though but with all the US sitcoms that get shown on tv here apartment is getting use more and more, i suppose a larger flat would be refered to as an apartment.
3) 'coathanger' is the correct term.
4) billiards is very rarely used, pool and snooker are the main 2 here.

Hope that helps :)

James..

Digital_red
02-16-2003, 08:10 PM
Have to remember this is set in the 1930's

2) Doubt they whould have said apartment

4) they might have said Billards back then. Perhaps I should ask my Grandad.

Btw SpankDaddy your way ahead anyone in number of posts:)

Skonk
02-17-2003, 05:08 AM
haha lol i totally didn't see that 1930's bit :) now dont i feel silly.

Billiards was used back then but im pritty sure the game of pool was around by the 1930's, pool and snooker are both derived from billiards but i think bliiards is something that the "higher classes" would of played while the "working class" would play pool. As for the stockmarket well i dont know but maybe a search on the net could wield some results?

James..

Jim Capillo
02-17-2003, 08:23 AM
Never mind......... thought you were asking about here......;)

lone
02-21-2003, 07:36 AM
thanks, gents.