PDA

View Full Version : Decal

gig651
05-16-2003, 02:17 PM
I feel like I am really overlooking something easy- really easy.

All I want to do is apply a decal to an object . Or even more easier:

Lets say I have a sheet. I want to put an arrow on it (tif bitmap or whatever). I only want the arrow to be visible.

I am going crazy!

Thanks in advance,

Greg

hrgiger
05-16-2003, 07:00 PM
I can think of two ways to do it off the top of my head.

Let's just say you have a white sheet of paper and you want to put a black arrow on it. You could paint a black arrow onto a white background that's the same color as the paper it's going onto. I don't think this is the best way because the background still might cover up something that's on the sheet of paper not to mention, the color might not be exactly right and you'll see the background border.

The best way to do it is to use an alpha image. Make a copy of your arrow image and with this copy make the arrow part white and the background black. Now apply this as a new layer above your arrow image. Change the blending mode to alpha. Now where there is black it will trim away the image below it, so in this case it will apply the arrow to the page and nothing else.

WizCraker
05-16-2003, 09:20 PM
or you can go to Decal Tutoral (http://lwg3d.com:8080/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12333) and follow it to learn a way.

gig651
05-17-2003, 10:12 AM
Thanks All.:p