PDA

View Full Version : Is Everyone Happy Now?!

mfegley
05-16-2003, 01:02 PM
OY! all this whining about "where's 8?" "when do we get 8?" "7.5 is boring... gimme 8" "8,8,8,8,8,8,8,8,8,8,8,8,8,8!!!!"

I'm about to take an 8 ball and pound it through my @#&*ing SKULL! newtek decided to show it at SIGGRAPH and it will be out 4th 1/4.

http://www.newtek.com/buynow/lw_products.html

oooh... and maaaaaaaaaybe modeler and layout will be integrated... because thats what 99.9% of users seem to want! AAAAAH!

sorry about the sarcasm.. its brought on by frustration.... and a dying love for a program i started with so long ago.... they better get it right this time... or i will succumb to the darkside....

to be continued....

- Micah

Rei
05-16-2003, 01:14 PM
Of course, you realise that some people, CIM and sorta me, will never be happy with LW, whatever its like. I don't care if its WetWired into my brain....

colkai
05-16-2003, 01:33 PM
So ya gotta ask, why are you here?
:rolleyes:

Rei
05-16-2003, 01:55 PM
Im here because I still like LW, its not the greatest (its not Ali!) but it sure rocks. CIM on the other hand, who knows?

mfegley
05-16-2003, 02:58 PM
i'm here because i have used lightwave since college.. i have fought tooth and nail against everyone else to stick up for it... to say its a killer 3D package... i made killer stuff, made tons of $ with it... i use it everyday as a job for crying out loud!!! but, as much as i want it to be the best, be even good... it's the BS that makes it fall short. i have complaints a mile long... and when i finally told friends and co-workers i was thinking about switching... they all almost died! i was the last one they thought would leave it... but its the bugs, the lack of prioritizing when it comes to issues... don't get me started. it makes me sad... but if 8 is not kick *** and up to par with "the other guys"... sorry baby.. its been fun.. but now you gots to go!

-Micah.... i had an affair with 3DS and Softimage... i'm sorry baby.. but they were CRAZY IN THE SACK!

hrgiger
05-16-2003, 04:11 PM
Why don't you leave now and maybe we'll call you when 8 comes out?

mattc
05-16-2003, 04:28 PM
Funnily enough, CIM sounded extremely happy with the lscript update. :)

Regards
Matt

mfegley
05-19-2003, 09:11 AM
listen, i too was once in your shoes. i too love(d) Lightwave, always felt like i was the only guy sticking up for it at macworld or to other 3D people. it was amazing sitting up at night after i got home from my pizza job, ignoring my work from college just to make some awesome stuff. it still makes awesome stuff! but its the routes needed to get there that make it hard to deal with in a real production (deadline oriented) environment. so much stuff either doesn't work, works quircky and needs a work around or just plain crashes the program.

i'll give you an example from my most recent project:

i need to network render since this project has so many scenes. 2 floors above me is a rack of processors totalling 32. i send my info and this plug-in or that plug-in won't work thanks to the lovely screamernet... dynamic parenting... great idea if you want to render on YOUR cpu and ONLY your cpu... ooh.. and 7.5b.. need i say more? who puts out an update that is that BAD?! we had to reinstall everything on 4 separate cpu's. not to mention, some plug-ins or even scenes wouldn't load that were made in 7.5. so, with a 2 week deadline and a client that won't take no for an answer (none do really), how can i be expected to put up with that? i want to make money, great animations and have fun... Lightwave has been keeping me from those, thanks to its unpredictability.

side note... i switched from layout to modeler on friday, to update an object... when i switched back to layout, my plug-ins, my keyboard shortcuts... ALL WIPED OUT! it was as though i just installed it. funny enough... the scene was still in there! huh... now thats nice!

i just can't imagine why you guys are so mad about my comments... you have to have come across issues that were a problem and they made no sense why a "proffessional" app would do that. i read a computer arts special or the 3D one (the one from the UK) as they revued maya, 3ds, softimage, lw, etc... the main focus of lw was... if 8 doesnt prove a worthy, bug fixing upgrade... bad things are inevitable... so it isn't just me being a jerk. in a deadline driven situation, its not so reliable. it bums me out... big time... but i can't afford, nor really want to patch the heck out of a program i use just so it keeps working so-so. i wouldnt do it for a car which costs more, i wont do it for some thing that my income RELIES on!

sorry to be a jerk, if that's truly what i am...

-Micah

hrgiger
05-19-2003, 10:15 AM
mfegley,

I don't think it's a matter of being a jerk or not being one.

Here's just what I think so take it for what it's worth:

No software is perfect. If you were using Maya right now, I would venture to guess that there are things you wouldn't like there either. Something to do with the workflow, or interface or whatever. We hear all the time how somebody has a problem with the Lightwave interface, or it screwed something up or whatever. Yet, despite this, many other people still manage to get some great projects done in Lightwave and Lightwave still continues to be a big marketshare holder.
I think I speak for some people, clearly not all of course, that when someone here on the forum says "hey, if the next version of Lightwave doesn't kick some serious butt, then I'm jumping ship" to which of course my response is, hey, don't let the door hit your ***** on the way out. And it's not a matter of being mad or flaming you, it's just that your comments come across as some kind of weak threat to Newtek. You know, get your act together Newtek, or I'm dropping you! It also comes across as a little arrogant to think that you threatening to buy another package has any kind of significance to any of us or to the future of Lightwave because you're going to spend your money on softimage instead.
I'm not saying that is your intention, that's just how it sounds. If you have issues with Lightwave, I think it's better to address your concerns to Newtek personally through email or to start a topic of conversation in the forum here with something other then, make it this way or else I'm leaving. I know there are some who would disagree, but I feel that Newtek does a fairly good job of listening to it's users and implementing them into Lightwave. They have also stated that there wil be more of an agressive development/update policy in the future much like the VT currently receives.
Stick around, I think there are good things coming...

colkai
05-19-2003, 10:50 AM
Hrgiger,
Hear hear!

I wonder just how many times the "..or else I'm leaving" threat has been bandied around?
Like the old sketch, "this is the line of death, cross it and die" <guy crosses line> "Well?" <other guy takes a step back and draws another line> "Okay, THIS is the line of death.."
Can't remember where I saw it, old age ya know ;)

If I don't like something, I stop using it, I don't spend my time saying "I'm gonna stop if they don't X,Y,Z" <shrugs>

Don't get me wrong, LW is not without its faults, and there are things I'd love to be added. Even better tutorials showing the new features would help. But, I can't see me changing software this side of whenever
:p

mfegley
05-19-2003, 10:51 AM
i can totally understand your side. i did come across as an idiot, threatening, etc. i guess it has to do with a tiny bit of space and way too much to say. this thread actually started out because of the ENORMOUS amounts of threads dealing with the hub... need i say more. the hub is the least of newteks issues. i guess its just getting dissapointing when i get all excited and stoked off my doo-doo maker about all these grand things in the new version of lightwave... when i go to use it, and they work sometimes.

as for talking to newtek, i learned very early on (when i upgraded to 5.6) that sending an email was like spitting in to a blackhole... i still try to this day to send emails, but I end up getting answers from all of you guys instead (which i have ALWAYS appreciated to the nth degree).

i guess its just being tired of let downs and such that makes me as bitter as i have become. it's hard to fight for a program that is starting to ring true in the criticisms. i said i'll check out 8, and i definitely plan to... its figuring out if emptying my pockets for another 7.5b is what i want to do in the future.

just so i can try to save myself a touch, i always love coming here, to the forum... even if i am an idiot and pick a fight. i've learned stuff, recieved major amounts of input that always seems to push my ideas, and plus, it just feels great to have a little family that you can give advice to and they appreciate it. i stand firm in my dissapointment, but only in the program, not what all of you guys produce...

kill this thread.. PLEASE!!!!... hehehehehehe

mattclary
05-19-2003, 11:47 AM
Damn, Steve! Are you getting soft in your old age? You didn't even piss anyone off with that! ;) LMAO

hrgiger
05-19-2003, 01:13 PM
Yeah, I must be feeling nice today....