PDA

View Full Version : New LW9 Animation Path video is amazing!

Carm3D
02-17-2006, 12:08 PM
Wow (ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub/LightWave/LW9/Animation_Path.mov)!

HowardM is going to flip when he sees this.

WilliamVaughan
02-17-2006, 12:13 PM
I've been flipping since I have been using it....Killer tool that is probably on my top 3 LW9 features.

Carm3D
02-17-2006, 12:15 PM
Thanks for the video, Proton. This would be awesome for making blood cells flowing through a vein. :)

kurv
02-17-2006, 12:15 PM
Oh yeah, Howard and Larry are going to freak over this...

Well done!!

WilliamVaughan
02-17-2006, 12:18 PM
I have a list that is pretty long of things I can do with this. it really makes working with particles and wind sooooo much easier IMHO.

ufo3d
02-17-2006, 12:20 PM
great stuff, no need to use multiple wind effectors to do some simple motions!:thumbsup:

romrom74
02-17-2006, 12:23 PM
this IS a really killer feature! is it already part of the beta we have ? (I havn't done any betatesting on dynamic effect yet)

prospector
02-17-2006, 12:25 PM
It just keeps getting better and better

Lamont
02-17-2006, 12:28 PM
WTF!?!? Holy poop on a cracker!! WAY more easy than the old "path" tool and insane control.

I can't wait to get my beta!!

Go Newtek!!

hrgiger
02-17-2006, 12:34 PM
This is a great new additon!

Intuition
02-17-2006, 12:36 PM
OMFG. W3RD. L337. and any other uberness.

Man, I was just having problems getting the wind to blow my smoke around last week. Now I definitely can get it right.

prospector
02-17-2006, 12:40 PM
I just KNOW they have a 'make my anim perfect' button coming out at this rate :hey: :D

TSpyrison
02-17-2006, 12:40 PM
Seems like that would be a nice easy way to make sci-fi flying car type traffic...
Kid of like in Star Wars episodes 1-3

Captain Obvious
02-17-2006, 12:44 PM
Looks like a useful feature if you want to animate particles and whatnot. ;)

User interface nitpick:

When Proton (right?) switched the wind mode to animation path, it asked if he wanted to create path items. The buttons were "ok" and "cancel." This is poor UI design. A situation like this should have a "yes" (or "ok") button and a "no" button. A "cancel" button should really stop the entire procedure and switch back to whatever wind mode was selected before.

"Yes" creates the path object.

"No" doesn't.

"Cancel" for "ooops, wrong button."

mav3rick
02-17-2006, 12:51 PM
great video and i came up idea... can we get same thing for camera...
so for example i can create PATH IN LAYOUT and say camera follow rotation and position of path and in graph editor we only control velocity of camera... this way we would be able to do faster camera anims and more occurate easy in out of motions.......

Brian Arndt
02-17-2006, 12:56 PM
You totally beat me to posting this! hehe

SaturnX
02-17-2006, 01:31 PM
hmmmmmm
(goes to check out the new video...)

Yog
02-17-2006, 01:45 PM
I've got to say that's probably the best integration of a LW9 feature I've seen so far.

Nice work.

ned
02-17-2006, 01:47 PM
its very nice

SaturnX
02-17-2006, 01:50 PM
That's a very useful... and hugely cool particle effector...
i like the way you can add/remove ctrl handles, making it very flexible...
this thing will have many uses... a nice addition. :)

Earl
02-17-2006, 01:55 PM
Very intuitive. :thumbsup:

Carm3D
02-17-2006, 01:57 PM
You totally beat me to posting this! hehe

Pearls of wisdom buddy! :D

cagey5
02-17-2006, 02:07 PM
Now that's just plain cool...

Emmanuel
02-17-2006, 02:52 PM
Thats absolutely awesome, had to think about "Twister" when Proton started to hit the rigid bodies with the wind path...ever wanted to destroy a wooden roof ? This is the ticket ! We are now as good as ILM, hehe :)
At the same time, I could imagine a deformation lattice for objects work that way.
In Maya You can add such a deformation lattice of any shape that You can extrude from a rectangle and send an object through it on a motion path and have it deform along the path/lattice.
This video reminded me of that.

hrgiger
02-17-2006, 03:53 PM
I imagine it would be great also for controlling the flow of HV's in something like a mushroom cloud.

KillMe
02-17-2006, 04:46 PM
awesome feature - easy control over particle motion

got some idea in mind for this already

T-Light
02-17-2006, 05:10 PM
SEXY:D

I'm off to play.

kml12
02-17-2006, 06:46 PM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Yes...

SplineGod
02-17-2006, 07:41 PM
Seems like that would be a nice easy way to make sci-fi flying car type traffic...
Kid of like in Star Wars episodes 1-3

You can already do that using grid objects as emitters. The size of the grid determines the lanes of traffic. I have a tutorial on the LW8 3rd party content CD showing how to do that. This new wind emitter could be used to make the traffic bend and flow around things. :)

SplineGod
02-17-2006, 07:47 PM
Thanks for the video, Proton. This would be awesome for making blood cells flowing through a vein. :)

Hey Carm,
While youre waiting, lernie has a script that can do something like this. You can make particles follow bone chains and react to other displacements while following a path.
http://thespread.ghostoutpost.com/index2.html
Also you can use DStorms Trailer plugin to make a group of points follow a path and deform to the path as well as be effected by other displacements at the same time. :)

SplineGod
02-17-2006, 07:51 PM
Oh yeah, Howard and Larry are going to freak over this...

Well done!!

Way ahead of you on that. Ive already got a ton of cool things to try with this one. This can be combined with several other things for some awesome stuff :)

KillMe
02-17-2006, 07:58 PM
sure there are some stargate fan here and has anyone ever thought that the deadelus needs some more firepower? yup yup ancient drones i dont think there could be a more perfect tool for animating them

JMarc
02-17-2006, 08:26 PM
I would really love to be able to deform geometry this easily. Spline Control does not allow you to rotational control like this and a bone chain isn't this easy to set up.

Just a thought.

Jean Marc Rodrigue

SplineGod
02-18-2006, 01:18 AM
Im not knocking the wind thing, its pretty cool. But I have to disagree about rotational control and sizing with Trailer. Like I said, both see other deformers including bones. You can for example use the Trailer plugin AND bones at the same time. Here is a quick example I did demonstrating both at the same time. As far as a bone chain goes I usually just convert a spline to skelegons which goes pretty quick.
http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/examples/snake.mov
All I would have to do is replace the snake object with points. I can definately do some things with the
method I mentioned that the wind path thing wont do. Its always good to have options. :)

Ivan D. Young
02-18-2006, 01:32 AM
I think these kind of new tools in lightwave is great! Way to go Newtek, this is a really cool addition to Wind Effectors and is a really powerful feature that I never heard of until this video was posted. I know some of the other features are important, but Holy Cow this is really really cool and very useful. I am amazed this feature was'nt talked about sooner. I can't wait, I know that there has to be a few more things like this in LW 9. C'mon tell us already.

Panikos
02-18-2006, 06:20 AM
I'd prefer a spline to control wind instead of a series of Nulls that clutter the scene.

Shift made such a fantastic spline deformation.
Spline custom object cant be that difficult.

5had0w
02-18-2006, 06:23 AM
Thats so COOL!! animation path rocks!:thumbsup:

SaturnX
02-18-2006, 06:41 AM
hmm.. Will FXlinker get updated to?
.. Perhaps to such a degree, that you can redo the calculations, as opposed to starting from scratch ?

it's been a while since i did this.. and maybe its been updated since..
But is there another way besides FXlinker... to attached geometry to particles ?

Don't mean to go off topic, for no good reason.. animation path made me think of FXlinker... :)

WilliamVaughan
02-18-2006, 06:47 AM
hmm.. Will FXlinker get updated to?

>FXDynamic-Linker links objects to particles with smart routines that reduce memory requirements

http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/lw9_features.php

SaturnX
02-18-2006, 06:49 AM
Bah... Cheers proton.

heh

Nemoid
02-18-2006, 07:59 AM
I'd prefer a spline to control wind instead of a series of Nulls that clutter the scene.

i agree. a spline would have been a more elegant solution.
but the null could be useful for the dynamics setup.

however the tool is good and intuitive in the workflow.

Lamont
02-18-2006, 09:56 AM
I'd prefer a spline to control wind instead of a series of Nulls that clutter the scene.I think the nulls are there because they would work better with other systems in Layout.

Ahhh, will Monday ever get here?

Lewis
02-18-2006, 04:30 PM
Excellent feature, really nice and pretty easy to use.

Bog
02-18-2006, 06:46 PM
I can see many swarming rocket pods in my future. :D

Let's be honest - wind's been a bit crap until now. Suddenly it is so uber-not-crap it hurts. The ability to *sketch* flocking and swarming behaviors? The ability to doodle destruction? Being able to sketch the dust-path of a hovering helicopter?

Oh mummy. This is a Hole Hawg[1].

[1]http://artlung.com/smorgasborg/C_R_Y_P_T_O_N_O_M_I_C_O_N.shtml and search for "hawg"

colkai
02-19-2006, 04:57 AM
SCAaarry :p
Funny, first thing that came into my head was the image of Grommit spinning round in "A Grand Day Out". :D

druitre
02-20-2006, 04:28 AM
very useful, good feature, good video too.
(Sidenote: I noticed Proton hitting 'IKB calc' to calculate dynamics - never knew IKB and dynamics are the same thing)

SplineGod
02-20-2006, 04:57 AM
IKB calc and the calculate button in the dynamics tab do the same thing.
IKB dynamics is also part of the other dynamics. :)

FranK10
02-20-2006, 07:07 AM
i agree. a spline would have been a more elegant solution.
but the null could be useful for the dynamics setup.

however the tool is good and intuitive in the workflow.

If they use a spline, how could you size down and twist a point to change the way the path acts?

Ciao

Stooch
02-20-2006, 10:34 AM

why not replace the nulls with spheres then? it would look exactly like a spline...

Lamont
02-20-2006, 10:37 AM
why not replace the nulls with spheres then? it would look exactly like a spline...I know... I am sure it will work with "Object replace" or "Item Shape".

A Mejias
02-21-2006, 10:24 AM
This is such a cool new feature! It's just what I've always wanted!

Nemoid
02-22-2006, 04:02 AM
If they use a spline, how could you size down and twist a point to change the way the path acts?

Ciao

maybe it would be possible to give to spline(or curve) nodes the same scale /rotate options of nulls, but there's no real problem.

actually, what could bother in the workflow is that you have to use the clone option and create new nulls. it would be handy to be able to click on the line to add them and maybe RMB click them to delete em.

how i said the tool kicks serious *** however so not a great prob.

FranK10
02-22-2006, 08:39 AM
actually, what could bother in the workflow is that you have to use the clone option and create new nulls. it would be handy to be able to click on the line to add them and maybe RMB click them to delete em.

Yes, that could be really an improved workflow.
Anyway I agree it's an awesome tool!