PDA

View Full Version : Shading and the New Shading Models

ackees
02-17-2006, 03:09 AM
I don't know who (or which team) made this video but may I say that I am stunned by the depth, breath and quality of this video. This should be a ruler by which the other videos can be judged, a new level of sophistication and quality (of information). There should be an award system for these videos because it is an art in itself.

mattc
02-17-2006, 03:35 AM
That'd be Tesselator who made it.

Very nice job too.

M

Nemoid
02-17-2006, 03:52 AM
excellent video.

Tess rocks! he should do other Lw related vids to aid Proton the great in his evangelization mission. :thumbsup:

Weetos
02-17-2006, 04:08 AM
totally :agree: !

ackees
02-17-2006, 06:32 AM
Tanks for this video tesselator, whatever you're being paid it's not enough. Rarely have I seen information video's at this level, I can't wait for the others in the series. It's the underlying structure, designed to accommodate the novice and the advanced expert while making both comfortable with the information. Please do more, more, more.

Captain Obvious
02-17-2006, 07:06 AM
That was surprisingly in-depth. Nice video!

m.d.
02-17-2006, 08:57 AM
All the video's that Tesselator have done give Newtek a very professional look
it's kinda like a Gnomon style video.

lesford
02-17-2006, 09:49 AM
Not to be a naysayer, but I much prefer the Proton "Talk me through the process" kind of approach to having a college paper read out to me while unrelated and unexplained events occur on the screen. Nor do I want to know about the math and how simple or complicated the algorythms are. This is much less useful to me than " You click here and LOOK; it does this". There is a lot of connecting and disconnecting of wires without explanation of what is occurring or why.
I'm not saying it wasn't interesting because it was, but a lot of talk could have been eliminated with a simple labelled set of images that show the differences between the shaders through example.

Obviously a lot of time has gone into writing the scripts for these things, and what I do like about them is that I see the beginnings of a plan. Groundwork is being laid for future lessons and there is the potential that this could result in a greater depth of understanding, once he does begin to explain the node system in a more hands on way. This is a new approach for the Newtek videos; the providing of background, but it involves a commitment to follow through in a step by step way in future videos and show what the buttons do. I very much applaud that commitment and look forward to the coming lessons.

Remember that a large portion of the audience are film scum and art students and you can't go too far off the rails. ;0)

Les

kurv
02-17-2006, 12:05 PM
I do like the more tutorial based video, but I am also a fan of Proton’s demo style videos as well. I applaud NewTek for hitting both sides of the artistic coin with demo and tutorial based videos.

Keep them all coming… Tess and Proton what a combo!!

Captain Obvious
02-17-2006, 12:11 PM
This is much less useful to me than " You click here and LOOK; it does this". There is a lot of connecting and disconnecting of wires without explanation of what is occurring or why.
I think it's assuming you've already seen the other demonstration of the nodal system. ;) Besides, I feel that a "deeper" understanding of what things do helps me decide which approach is the most appropriate in a given situation.

WilliamVaughan
02-17-2006, 12:29 PM
I think this is a great tutorial. Anyone wanting a detailed look at shaders should watch it.

prospector
02-17-2006, 12:31 PM
I like the 'here's what it does and why approach'
saves time later in trial and error tests

bobakabob
02-17-2006, 12:59 PM
Excellent video! Educational and informative. Refreshing to see an emphasis on the fundamentals rather than 'hard sell'. The new shader system looks awesome :thumbsup:

ackees
02-17-2006, 04:19 PM
Not to be a naysayer, but I much prefer the Proton "Talk me through the process" kind of approach to having a college paper read out to me while unrelated and unexplained events occur on the screen. Nor do I want to know about the math and how simple or complicated the algorythms are. This is much less useful to me than " You click here and LOOK; it does this". There is a lot of connecting and disconnecting of wires without explanation of what is occurring or why.
I'm not saying it wasn't interesting because it was, but a lot of talk could have been eliminated with a simple labelled set of images that show the differences between the shaders through example.

Obviously a lot of time has gone into writing the scripts for these things, and what I do like about them is that I see the beginnings of a plan. Groundwork is being laid for future lessons and there is the potential that this could result in a greater depth of understanding, once he does begin to explain the node system in a more hands on way. This is a new approach for the Newtek videos; the providing of background, but it involves a commitment to follow through in a step by step way in future videos and show what the buttons do. I very much applaud that commitment and look forward to the coming lessons.

Remember that a large portion of the audience are film scum and art students and you can't go too far off the rails. ;0)

Les

I am sorry but I think you have totally missed the concept. Of course there is going to be 'click here get that' type info to follow. The whole point is we will get that plus much greater understanding of what drives the clicking. As LW becomes more powerful users will have to increase their background understanding to make full use of the new power. It's about growing with the software. Film and art students will have no problem recognising and understanding this series of videos, I think they will prefer to have the added information than not have it.

Tesselator
02-17-2006, 05:32 PM
I am sorry but I think you have totally missed the concept. Of course there is going to be 'click here get that' type info to follow. The whole point is we will get that plus much greater understanding of what drives the clicking. As LW becomes more powerful users will have to increase their background understanding to make full use of the new power. It's about growing with the software. Film and art students will have no problem recognising and understanding this series of videos, I think they will prefer to have the added information than not have it.

Yup! If they let me ;) those will follow shortly. The "click here get that" ones
I mean. With the first one I wanted to get everyone on the same page so that
the briefs to follow made sence. All the new tools are very advanced and need
this imo, L9 will really offers some REALLY kewl stuff! It's like opening the door
to the stairwell that leads hopefully to the top... if you get me. I wanna make
sure everyone knows where the door is, how to open it, and where it will take
you if you go in. :D

BTW, thanks for all the positive feedback! Really makes my job worth doing!

Earl
02-17-2006, 06:29 PM
So far I've been more than impressed with how NewTek has presented the new features of v9. All the videos released so far are greatly improved in format, clarity, and with information presented. It's truly awesome to have these at our disposal (especially the node shading video tutorials!). Of course, I think it will be equally important that they are organized logically on the NewTek site. Currently having all LW9 vids in one area is fine, but once the software hits the street and more users come on board it will be important for them to find these videos in an orderly fashion.

sonofagun
02-18-2006, 01:25 AM
Only just registered to post to the forums, but been around since 5.5.
Have to agree :thumbsup: pretty much with what's been said about
the the quality of the LW9 videos so far - looking forward to the next.
It's been good to have Tesselator on board and I like the different ways
that he and Proton present the vids.
What I'm wondering is - might there be other "guest" presenters for
future videos?
Personally I've always been a great fan of Lee Stranahan's quirky and
amusing presentation style - I still like to watch his old 7.5 vids.
Don't know what he's up to now, but any chance that he might be
recruited?

ackees
02-18-2006, 08:27 AM
Only just registered to post to the forums, but been around since 5.5.
Have to agree :thumbsup: pretty much with what's been said about
the the quality of the LW9 videos so far - looking forward to the next.
It's been good to have Tesselator on board and I like the different ways
that he and Proton present the vids.
What I'm wondering is - might there be other "guest" presenters for
future videos?
Personally I've always been a great fan of Lee Stranahan's quirky and
amusing presentation style - I still like to watch his old 7.5 vids.
Don't know what he's up to now, but any chance that he might be
recruited?
Agreed a good training video is like a good movie, you watch it again and again. There is so much depth in the new shading videos that I can see my self returning to them again and again as my understanding improves – good educational reference. At a guess I would say more effort went into the production than was allowed for in the budget.

RedBull
02-19-2006, 04:59 PM
Have not seen the latest Video, as it's 163Mb....
I thought Nodal at 50Mb was about right....

Why are we not using WMV ???????
I mean WMV will give the same quality at 1/10 of the current file size...
I'm not a microsoft fan, but WMV is impressive compression/quality...
And i use VLC videoplayer not WMP to view them.....

Some videos are .mov files, others are .avi and others are .avi with the techsmith codec.... Just wish we were using a better compression codec....
and a standard res and format....

Verlon
02-20-2006, 03:41 AM
I think Tesselator had to give all the tech stuff because of people asking VERY pointed questions about such things in another thread (cough..cant remember who started that one.. cough)

There are obviously LW users who want or NEED to know that kind of information, and I certainly find it interesting. I like to know how things work, not just what they do. It helps me back track through my mistakes....

So 2 thumb up for the tesselator video, and I look forward to more.

Captain Obvious
02-20-2006, 10:36 AM
Some videos are .mov files, others are .avi and others are .avi with the techsmith codec.... Just wish we were using a better compression codec....
and a standard res and format....
Ensharpen is the codec for screen recordings. You claim WMV would give equal quality in 1/10th the size, but I dispute this. According to someone at NewTek (The webmaster? Proton? Can't recall.), they tried making an H.264 version, but with equal quality, it ended up at like 500 megabytes. WMV is NOT that much better than H.264, if it's even better at all.

Plus, WMV is much less multi-platform than DivX or Ensharpen.

wacom
02-20-2006, 05:48 PM
Great video once again Tess- exactly the kind of videos I hope to see more of. These compliment Protons tutorials well. Theory and practice: what more could one want?

Thanks again!

Netvudu
02-20-2006, 06:50 PM
I also applaud Tess style for this videos. Such a new (new for LW users, that is) concept as a nodal texturing system, specially because of the simplistic "shader" concept being used on previous LW versions required a thorough explanation.

Also, for those wanting "click and do" explanations I want to say that IMHO that kind of teaching just solves one problem, while understanding the true concept behind a feature solves each and every case and makes us creative with the tools. Thatīs the difference between demoing and teaching.
Iīm absolutely sure that Proton is very very good at understanding the underlying theory behind most concepts in LW, but his videos are usually simple demos of features because thatīs whatīs heīs attempting to do, nothing else...and very good at that.
Tess is showing not just the hows, but also the whys and the guy rocks at that.
Arigatou-goizama****a Tess-san! xDD

DragonFist
02-20-2006, 07:07 PM
for some reason, the tech smith codec crashes media player for me, so I haven't been able to watch the nodal video. The others are all awesome and I cannot wait for v9.

A Mejias
02-21-2006, 10:22 AM
Tesselator THANKS for the great videos and please, PLEASE keep them coming! :thumbsup: :D

More than a few of the new tools in LW over the past few versions have been poorly documented and poorly understood -- to the point that many user avoided them. This hurts the users and ultimatly it hurts NewTek in lost sales of upgrades and new converts.

A deeper and clearer understanding of how and why the tools work the way they do is a must. Simple click here get that just isn't enough especially as LW grows in complexity. Users will get more out of LW and NewTek will end up making more money! Both in new sales and upgrade AND in tech support savings. I'll bet a large percentage of calls and emails are dew to users not fully understanding the tools. And I'll also bet most of those are because of poor documentation. Sure there are always those that refuse to read the manual and even worse they just refuse to learn anything new. You can't do anything about that. As for the rest of us eager and hungry student keep the meat coming!

Thanks again for the GREAT in depth videos! :D

Captain Obvious
02-21-2006, 10:59 AM
for some reason, the tech smith codec crashes media player for me, so I haven't been able to watch the nodal video. The others are all awesome and I cannot wait for v9.
Try using VLC instead.
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

animotion
02-21-2006, 02:26 PM
This video tute is just what I needed to get my head around the differences in shading models. I agree that this type of tutorial along with what proton has been providing us is very very useful.

Some of us are interested in more advanced aspects of the technology.

Keep up the good work Tess. and Proton.

DragonFist
02-21-2006, 02:57 PM
Try using VLC instead.
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Thank you Capt., I was finally able to watch it. I had some strange color ghosting of the image but it was viewable as opposed to media player crashing itself and explorer everytime I tried that codec (other codecs work fine).

I am very excited about v9 and the future improvements made possible by it.