PDA

View Full Version : Introductions are in Order

geneg
02-16-2006, 05:20 PM
Hi Everybody:

Let me introduce myself, my name is Gene, and I just wanted to pop in and say Hi!
I've just migrated to these Forums a little while ago from my former software and although I consider myself to be pretty good with it, it looks like I'm back down to Newbie status when it comes to learning the in's and out's of Lightwave. So, I guess I'll be lurking mostly till I get the hang of it or until I get into trouble, and then I'll probably have to ask for help. Hopefully this is a good place to ask for that help.

Currently I'm using LW8.5, with Vue5 and LWCAD1.5 and although I'm looking forward to LW9, I doubt I will make a dent in it for awhile, 8.5 is quite enough for me to try and get my head around.

thanks for listening
see ya
geneg

P.S. Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place but I don't see the 'Introductions Forum' it talks about.

AdamAvenali
02-16-2006, 05:25 PM
welcome to the community :thumbsup:

i'm sure you'll find the people around here are quite helpful. personall, i have been helped A LOT from this forum! i usually receive quick replies to my threads with questions and nice clear answers.

so welcome again, and dont forget to have fun :thumbsup:

Silkrooster
02-16-2006, 06:23 PM
Welcome to the forum and to the world of lightwave.:lwicon:

Here are some links to help get you started.

Tutorials
Scott Cameron’s Collection of Lightwave tutorials on the web:
http://members.shaw.ca/lightwavetutorials/Main_Menu.htm
Newtek’s main tutorial page http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/index.html,
Newtek video’s http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/videos/index.html (Most of Proton’s listed here)
LW 8 Demo’s http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/product/demos.html
puff and larkin http://www.puffandlarkin.com/lightwave/tutorials/character_modelling/
Splinegod www.splinegod.com/onlinetraining.htm – This link is being replaced with 3d training online
Dan Ablan www.3dgarage.com
Kurv Studio www.kurvstudios.com
Simply Lightwave www.simplylightwave.com
Lost Pencil www.lostpencil.com
Desktop Images http://www.desktopimages.com/index.shtml
3d Training Online http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/
Toby Gaines Smoothing tutorial http://www.tobygaines.com/smoothing.html
Starbase1’s Lightwave Ringed Planet http://www.starbase1.co.uk/tutring.htm

Books
Inside Lightwave 8 by Dan Ablan
Lightwave 3D 8 Texturing by Leigh van der Byl
Essential Lightwave 3D by Timothy Albee
Lightwave 3D [8] Cartoon Character Creation vol 1 and 2 by Jonny Gorden

Forums
Newteks http://vbulletin.newtek.com/
Spinquad www.spinquad.com/forum/
Kurv Studio www.kurvstudios.com/forum
Simply Lightwave http://forum.simplylightwave.com/
Lightwave Group V3 http://www.lwg3d.com/v3/index.htm
CGTalk http://www.cgtalk.com/index.php?
Silkrooster’s www.silkrooster.com/forum
3Drecursion http://3drecursions.com/forum/index.php

Wiki’s
Wiki3Dpedia www.silkrooster.com/wiki
Wiki CG, Computer Graphic Encyclopedia http://www.wikicg.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
Darkling Simulations http://www.darksim.com/dswiki/index.php/Main_Page

Plug – in database
Flay is a web site where you can search other web sites for plugins. If you need a plugin for Lightwave this is the very first place to check. The address is www.flay.com

If I missed anyone my apologies as this is going to be a growing database. Anyone wishing to be listed, please pm me or access my forum and post a message.
Silk

BlueKnot
02-16-2006, 06:24 PM
Heh, I also don't see the "Introductions Forum" mentioned in the little message that hounds me on every page... but this seems as good a place as any.

Although I plan on doing more rendering and animation with Layout in the future, my main focus at the moment is Modeler ... this looks like a good place to come for help if I get stuck, eh? :D

Edit: A huge list of links and books appeared while I was typing my little note... thanks! :thumbsup:

dablan
02-16-2006, 06:57 PM
Hello Gene!
And thanks Silk, for the links.

hrgiger
02-16-2006, 07:12 PM
Hey geneg. Hope you enjoy Lightwave, version 9 is going to be the best version yet.

Great links Silk.

Matt
02-16-2006, 07:20 PM
Welcome aboard! You'll find everyone here friendly and helpful, so post away with any questions!

Cheers
Matt

fyborg_1138
02-16-2006, 07:59 PM
Likewise, I have been searching for the "Introductions Forum" and could not find it. So I'll add my brief bio to this thread.

Let's see...

A decade in television broadcast engineering.
A decade designing control systems in 3D (AutoCAD, Mechanical Desktop, Pro-E).
Fifteen years, and currently, a biologist.
And two years (so far) into college-level graphic design coursework in my "spare" time.

No, I'm not THAT old... some multitasking was involved...

I am glad to get back into CG again and plan to use LW for biological illustration/animation as well as the creation of conceptual 3D art that won't fill up my garage with worthless, yet priceless works of art. :D

My avatar is a picture I took of myself last year as a reference image for a linoleum print in a printmaking course. I was standing on my kitchen table with my head pressed against the ceiling while holding the camera in my left hand. It took four tries to get the composition and focus right. :screwy:

Anyway, I hope to be an asset to the LW community as soon as my noobishness wears off and I feel confident in posting some of my work for C and C.

Lurkin', Lightwavin' and lovin' it...

Steven.

jeremyhardin
02-16-2006, 08:16 PM
welcome to the community folks. always good to have new additions (or old additions that have come out of lurking.) :D :thumbsup:

Exception
02-16-2006, 08:23 PM
Tom waves to geneg.
I am the forum loony.
Today that is.
Welcome and enjoy!

Gettarobox
02-16-2006, 09:32 PM
welcome. i don't think you will regret joining the coolest CG community of all time.

gary james
02-16-2006, 10:38 PM
Thanks for all the links Silk, I will have a look at these too.

This is my first post too, but I have lurked every now and then.

My background is in engineering and I have been a Lightwave user since version 6.

I do a lot of commercial video and DVD production as well as product design.

I hope I can be of assistance on this forum.

Hi to all my fellow lurkers out there.

Gary

3DBob
02-17-2006, 02:49 AM
Hi There Geneg,

You are now in a warm friendly place - sometimes hot, but people usually apologise. Congratulations on your choice of software - you will be assimilated.

3DBob

Kuzey
02-17-2006, 02:51 AM
It's so cool to have new members...welcome one and all :D

Maybe this thread should be a sticky so we can get more lurkers involved.

Post some images as soon as you guys can, it's always great to see what people are making.

Kuzey

phile
02-17-2006, 02:57 AM
Gene! What took you so long? :)

Nice to have you aboard!

Phil

StereoMike
02-17-2006, 03:38 AM
Welcome to the new members, this is a funny bunch of people in here.
The forums really add to the experience of LW.

Have fun!

Mike

mapgraphs
02-17-2006, 09:23 AM
Add another newbie lurking reader.

As someone who started out working in the grand 'ol Z80 tabletop days of 256x192 pixels, 15 colors (plus transparent) and 24k EPROMs (somewhat before the Amiga launched) one can never have too many tutorial links. :-)

Bog
02-17-2006, 11:05 AM
Welcome aboard! :D

The LW community's always been brilliant, and this current iteration's carrying on the tradition brilliantly. Though it would be great if there was a breathalyser function that automatically flagged posts made when one was in a post-crunch tired-and-emotional state ;)

Silk: Cracking list, that should get stickied somewhere.

geneg
02-18-2006, 11:07 AM
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome, that's what I was looking for the most. I know that Lightwave is more program than I can handle at the moment, but second on my list of needs is a vibrant and helpful community, that is important to me.

Silkrooster - awesome list of Links, thanks

dablan - the most grueling and fun time I've had so far was trying to do the Skyscraper Tut from Inside LW7 while working in LW8, it actually helped me learn where everything is in the menus. Thanks for the book.

Phil - Hi! Its great to find a familiar face here.

BTW, I have RTFM, all 1562 pages of it, whew! Not sure how much has sunk in yet, this is all a bit of a culture shock to me still.

Ok, time to go get my feet wet.

see ya
geneg

Sculley
02-18-2006, 11:31 AM
Welcome to our world... :) Pull up a chair.. relax and enjoy yourself.

Sculley

Bog
02-18-2006, 11:40 AM
Welcome to our world...

Please try to forget the following terms:

Sleep
Spouse
Healthy diet
Sober weekend
Exercise
Cardiovascular Fitness

;)

don_culbertson
02-18-2006, 03:50 PM
Cardiovascular Fitness = rolling mouse around on the desktop :)

toby
02-18-2006, 06:05 PM

Sleep
Spouse
Healthy diet
Sober weekend
Exercise
Cardiovascular Fitness

;)
I think they will have a harder time remembering them ;D

Welcome dudes, LW is a BLAST.

Bring on the questions! ( after you RTM that is )

BTW, I have RTFM, all 1562 pages of it, whew! Not sure how much has sunk in yet, this is all a bit of a culture shock to me still.
You're doing exactly the right thing, whether you memorize anything or not. It will give you a good sense of how the program works and where to find answers.

kopperdrake
02-18-2006, 06:15 PM
Ah...fresh meat :D

Just to say hi guys - always good to see new people on :) Been a LWer since 95, also product design background but now do anything thrown at me ;)

Cheers,

Dunk

fyborg_1138
02-18-2006, 06:15 PM
Thanks to all of you for the warm welcome and links.

I plan to enjoy learning LW even more than when I was learning the DOS version of AutoCAD 11 with AME solid modeling on my brand new, state of the art 33MHz 486DX with 4MB RAM and a 50MB hard drive. I could tell it to "render" a 3D object, go to lunch, come back and it STILL wasn't done. It took me a while to realize that, no, the computer wasn't locked up. Don't push the reset button… its crunching numbers.

I have LightWave 8.5 running on a Dell Dimension 8300, 2.6GHz P4; 2GB RAM; 120+60 GB HDs; NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 ('til it starts to annoy me) under WinXP Pro SP1. Now I can tell it to render a scene, go to lunch, come back and it STILL won't be done. No, the computer isn't locked up. Don't push the reset button… its crunching numbers. Isn't technology wonderful!

It's great to have such a wonderful resource of inspiration, information, tutorials and help (from real people!) available on-line in the LightWave community and I look forward to participating as soon as my binary biceps begin bulging.

Slowly, but surely I am working my way through the books ILW8, 1001T&T, Essential LW8 and others. Among my numerous Objects d'Art, I've managed to create a mutant giraffe (with thanks and apologies to Dan Ablan) and a cell phone that looks like it was run over by a Mack truck. So far I have gotten past the point of:

Stop that…STOP that…now why did it do that? Stop that…stop that… Oh… Cap Lock. All right, which one of you cockroaches stepped on the cap lock key? I certainly didn't. All you 'roaches, get back in the kitchen where you belong and clean those dishes in the sink. I'm TRYIN' to get some WORK done here, guys.

Steven.

Bog
02-18-2006, 06:33 PM
Cardiovascular Fitness = rolling mouse around on the desktop

Pfft! I'm such a Chairborne Ranger, I break a sweat double-clicking!

Fyborg - a whole bunch of us came in via the unexpanded Amiga 500 running at a blistering 7.142MHz with a whole 512K of RAM. Heady spaces for those of us who started on the VIC-20 or before ;)

Never been a better time to relish the boundary zone that coruscates between art and tech :)

fyborg_1138
02-18-2006, 07:25 PM
Yep, been there.

Not the Amiga, per se, but I got my start writing BASIC on a Commodore PET in '77 down in the basement of the Physical Science Building on campus. We were all agog about this new computer technology and the 6502 microprocessor (which I believe was also used in the Amiga). In '81 I splurged and bought an Apple II+ (it also used the 6502 microprocessor) with a green-screen monitor and a single-sided single-density 5-1/4" floppy drive instead of an audiocassette drive. I spent many, many late nights writing programs and building computer interfaces such as a NiCad battery tester that would deep discharge Cine60 battery belts through a dummy load and disconnect the load at a voltage set point. It would then save the information and print out the graph on a thermal printer so I could tell the photogs just how much juice they could get out of each belt. There's nothing more annoying than getting ten minutes into a shoot and the camera or light battery goes dead without warning. Arrrgh!

Edit: Especially when it's a commercial shoot and the talent has to stand around while I run back to the truck to get another battery belt. Very embarrassing.

Steven.

lardbros
02-19-2006, 12:58 PM
Fyborg - a whole bunch of us came in via the unexpanded Amiga 500 running at a blistering 7.142MHz with a whole 512K of RAM. Heady spaces for those of us who started on the VIC-20 or before ;)

Whoah Bog, i would never have guessed you were an ex-amiga user (or you still might, i don't know)! ;)

Hmmm, now where have i seen your avatar logo before? :D

Anyway, welcome to simply the best forums on the WWW! Seriously, no joke... this forum should charge it's so bloody good. Most forums don't have literally instantaneous responses, but here you'll love it... you've made a great choice, and i just cannpt believe how many new people are lurking and not saying hi. I think i did the same actually, it can be quite daunting!

Keep wavin'

Bog
02-19-2006, 01:43 PM
(or you still might, i don't know)

The A1200 and A4000 will continue to see active service 'til Photoshop has a symmetry tool and I can finally retire DPaint IV ;)

Actually, that's a bit of a fib, 'cause the 4000 needs surgery and I'm not a hardware guy, but they're still here and I still loves them with my heartses because they're real computers which don't have a conniption by trying to walk and chew gum simultaneously :)

Anunnaki
02-24-2006, 10:46 PM
Nice to see a familar name! While the former software you speak of has gotten better, it still does not compare to Lightwave. You will totally enjoy the support of Lightwave from the books, videos, plugins and the community which Lightwave has the best community ever. Flay.com is a must. Best Lightwave books to start off with are Lightwave 1001 Tips&Tricks, Essential lightwave 3d 8 (which I'm currently going through) and the Manual of course. Your 3d skills will easily transfer to Lightwave. I also suggest you join the Spinquad community as it is top notch!

Vincent D. Brumback

Anunnaki
02-24-2006, 10:56 PM
I still have my Amiga Lightwave 3.5 boxed copy with the 75 page manual, 53 page 3.5 Addendum and the 7 floppy disk that I used on an Amiga 4000.

Vincent D. Brumback

geneg
02-25-2006, 12:03 AM
Nice to see a familar name! While the former software you speak of has gotten better, it still does not compare to Lightwave.

Hi Vincent

More familiar faces, great! Ahhh, the 'other' (which I will always have a soft spot for) is not even considered in the same galaxy as Lightwave. There is so much to learn, so I've been trying out everything, getting a feel for it. I'm not quite back as far as doing chrome spheres on checkerboard planes, but I've gotten that same excitement back as when I used to watch the renders go by line by agonizing line, not wanting to take my eyes off it. Ah yes, the days of Videoscape, Imagine, Silver, Sculpt........ ooops, I'm showing my age.

Thanks again everyone for the welcome.

geneg

Sculley
02-25-2006, 02:47 AM
oh wow.. Ive still got a copy of Video Scape.. and VS 2 :) My amiga still runs too... and it still has all my old models... never thought to try load them in LW. :) I had to wait till I was working some 5 years later to get my hands on LW in a design company.. version 5.5.. there were few of us using it so they bought some of us it for home to get digged in.... and ive been using LW since!!!

dablan
02-25-2006, 11:23 AM
fyborg, glad to see you forging through.
Keep at it, practice, and soon you'll be teaching all of us :)

TheDynamo
02-25-2006, 12:41 PM
Instead of blabbering mindlessly in various topics like I can be prone to do :)

My name is Rob, resident of the fine land known as Oregon and I finally have been given the opportunity to work on this fine program. I have been working in video post production for nearly 10 years with only thinning hair to show for it. I've been on the boards for a while now but a good portion of it was to measure the software's community before making the jump to owning it personally.

This community has got to be one of the best I've seen in quite a while.

To be honest I bought this software 2nd quarter last year (for home) and we just recently bought the same package at the post house where I work but I have seldom had time to work on it since I'm a motion graphics animator who dwells primarily in AE and it's been a VERY long time since I've used the last 3D app I worked on (Softimage 3D 3.8). Since my plate last year was full with various work as well as my marriage, LW fell by the wayside until the last couple of months where we've had to take up another project from someone who was having trouble finishing his work on time. Learning by the patented "Trial by Fire" method (tm) does cause one to learn quickly.

I would have to thank Dan Ablan for putting together a great introductory LW8 course on DVD. It's helped smooth out some of the rough edges to the point where I could adapt to Lightwave enough to nearly finish this animation.

Either way, for the record I work on both Mac and PC and am happy to help with any questions I can answer on these boards.

-Rob (Dynamo)

dablan
02-25-2006, 03:20 PM
Hey Rob, thank you very much. Glad the course has helped - we've heard that from lots of users over the years, and we'll continue the tradition with a full Signature course for LightWave 9 when the time is right.

Keep up the great work - keep us posted on your progress.

Bog
02-25-2006, 03:22 PM
Another vote of thanks from here, Dan. I eagerly await Inside LightWave 9, or some similar animal.

<_Marko91_>
08-29-2007, 11:34 AM
Hy all gangstas.
Mine name is Marko(i'm 16), and i'm trying to configure out how to model in lighwaves modeler.So far i learned how to magnify,zoom,and how to make uv map....(in this couple of days)
I was using milkshape before.I really like to model weapons and characters.When i first opened lightwave i was shocked with all those commands and stuff.

eagleeyed
08-30-2007, 05:48 AM
Well welcome to the community Marko.

As said before you have entered what I see as one of the best communities out there, people always willing to help out and many threads can have your sides splitting with laughter, something you need when you are stuck in front of a computer, isolated from society for days on end.

Hope to see you around.

trentonia
08-30-2007, 09:37 AM
I clicked on this link http://www.starbase1.co.uk/tutring.htm that SilkRooster supplied, and I got a virus warning. Be careful.

*Pete*
08-30-2007, 12:38 PM

Sleep
Spouse
Healthy diet
Sober weekend
Exercise
Cardiovascular Fitness

;)

oh...s**t...i thought i was doing ok as a waver untill i saw that.

Sleep 4-5 hours of sleep each night.
Spouse yeah..im married.
Healthy diet yeah..im married.
Sober weekend yeah..im married.
Exercise woohooo!!..my second hobby! i train every day (gym)
Cardiovascular Fitness ..what??..running?..me, never..but its only a matter of time before ill answer " yeah..im married." on this one also.

time for Lightwave = never enough...:thumbsdow

*Pete*
08-30-2007, 12:49 PM
ill introduce myself also....

My name is Petri, also known as Pete by my Finnish friends (pronounced differently from the english "Pete")

I saw Lightwave on the amiga when it was version...eh..3.5 i think?
loved it immeadetly, but i wasnt able to buy it untill very recently....it is true when they say, you wont forget your first love *looks over shoulder if wife is looking*

i have had on and off contact with LW since 95 or 96, and didnt really learn to use the program well untill some years ago.

I live in Norway, grew up in Sweden and was born in Finland...i speak none of those languages correctly, also i have some understanding of the Russian and spanish language..but again, i speak all languages so badly that im the only one who has a clue of what i am speaking about :D

i reserve all my braincells for visual creativity, verbal communication comes second ;)