PDA

View Full Version : Help...Mac-to-Windows problem

squidsquidsquid
05-16-2003, 08:59 AM
I'm attempting to open a scene file on a PC running Windows 2000 Server that was created on a Macintosh running OS 10.1.5. I'm getting the following error message:

Error on load! Couldn't load a line of data! E
Line 276:

Layout loads the first layer of the first object, and then the error message pops up.

Any idea what's happening here? All files have the proper extensions (.lws, .lwo, etc.) and run on the Mac under OS X with no problems.

Thanks for any help.

eblu
05-16-2003, 12:12 PM
get bbedit.
open your scene file (in bbedit)
change the line endings to DOS.
save the file.

now what happens?

Lynx3d
05-16-2003, 12:45 PM
!?
Don't tell me it's something THAT simple...Newtek making a multi platform application and not paying attention to the most basic differences...that would deserve a clout :)

-edit-
btw, my favourite Windows editor is ultredit, in case you want to edit it on the PC...has options to convert from UNIX/MAC to DOS, possibly will ask you right after opening the scene file if you want to convert.

squidsquidsquid
05-16-2003, 01:17 PM
Thanks so much for the advice.

I've had no luck, so far, though. I've never used bbedit or ultraedit before, and can't seem to get either working. Ultraedit did ask if I wanted to convert to DOS format when I opened the scene, I said yes, and resaved it, but it still will not load.

As for bbedit, I cannot find the option for converting line endings to the DOS format. Any idea on where I look for that option?

Thanks again. I sounds like this should work, eventually.

Jayme

squidsquidsquid
05-16-2003, 01:31 PM
bbedit works! Thank you so much. I just had to "save as" and set the line breaks to DOS. Things should go much smoother now. I'm assuming that LightWave objects don't need DOS line breaks? Modeler on the PC seems to load Mac objects with no problem.

Thanks again.

Jayme

Lynx3d
05-16-2003, 01:55 PM
AFAIK LWO files are binary, so it doesn't matter where you open them, 1 is 1 and 0 is 0 on every computer on this earth :D

But scene files (LWS) are text files, so each byte is one character, and things like "new line" have different definitions (i.e. byte code) on different platforms...so by default Unix will write a different byte for "new line" than Windows (DOS).

eblu
05-20-2003, 05:42 AM
Originally posted by Lynx3d
!?
Don't tell me it's something THAT simple...Newtek making a multi platform application and not paying attention to the most basic differences...that would deserve a clout :)

-edit-
btw, my favourite Windows editor is ultredit, in case you want to edit it on the PC...has options to convert from UNIX/MAC to DOS, possibly will ask you right after opening the scene file if you want to convert.

whats a "clout"?

Scott C. Zupek
05-22-2003, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by eblu
whats a "clout"?

LoL thats funny, only because I have no idea:):p

Jimzip
05-25-2003, 07:15 PM
Are you using Sasquatch?
Sometimes if you apply the "Sasquatch Shadow" to an object's surface in Modeler you get that error.

Jimzip:D

Red_Oddity
05-26-2003, 04:30 AM
Also, the Mac version of LW don't save extensions in the filename by default, you have to add the .LWS and .LWO by hand...

Strange though, i have been using LW cross platform for 2 years now and never had any trouble...

lord
05-26-2003, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by eblu
whats a "clout"?

a small hairless creature with very large hands, know for running around gently slapping silly people in the face. Usually found in (but not exclusive to) office buildings in western regions of Europe, and parts of Australasia.

head worm
05-27-2003, 05:30 AM
Don't be nasty to Americans. At least they asked about 'Clout'! Next thing you know, they'll all be using it and pretending they invented the word - like television :o)

I work in a completely cross-platform environment and BBedit is never required. The file extension is the biggest problem. If you don't add it on the Mac, then a PC will fail to recognize the file automatically as belonging to Lightwave. Always add your .lwo and .lws.

There are also a few problems with third party plugins such as Worley and Evasion3D plugins. However, running over OSX, the only plugin I use that's still a nightmare is G2. It can stop scene files opening and certainly stops them rendering over LWSN. There's not a huge amount you can do about this apparently. But as you seem to have sorted the problem, then it won't be caused by this.

BTW - 'Clout' means a punch or sharp whack with a blunt object. Sorry to give away all the English language's secrets!

Head Worm
www.the-worms-of-art.com

Matt
05-27-2003, 11:10 AM
clout has another meaning where I'm from, but I can't repeat it here!!!

eblu
05-27-2003, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by head worm

I work in a completely cross-platform environment and BBedit is never required. The file extension is the biggest problem. If you don't add it on the Mac, then a PC will fail to recognize the file automatically as belonging to Lightwave. Always add your .lwo and .lws.

funny, I work in such an enviroment as well, and I Have to use the BBedit trick... it seems that Lightwave for PC is not very consistent. as for the dot extension... I work in a cross platform environment, so I've gotten in the habit of Always using dot extensions. o well, I expect some degree of behavior differential from machine to machine, as far as Lightwave is concerned. newtek just doesnt seem concerned with getting the basic functions of an aplication nailed down.

btw: you guys in the UK can have "clout" and please take "shag" back too. but thanks for the rest of the english language though, and dont feel too bad when you hear one of us demolish it ok? ;) also, didnt RCA develop the Television system right here in good ol New Jersy, US of A? I mean, thats what it says on the RCA website, and they wouldn't lie, would they?

head worm
05-27-2003, 02:37 PM
The first broadcastable television system was invented by a Scot, John Logi Baird, although it's not the same technology we use today. He is, however, credited as the inventor of television.

As for cross-platform, I run Windows XP Pro on all my machines. I run a 9 Node renderfarm. I don't know if this is more forgiving, but I have found it an absolute dream as far as interfacing with OSX and also general networking. I have to say that on a network, it rather blows OSX away for ease of installation and use - much to my surprise!

Head Worm
www.the-worms-of-art.com

eblu
05-27-2003, 03:14 PM
ease of installation and use?
I have to admit skepticism, but i am interested in hearing why you feel this way.

in my own experience, my mac is the only machine that can hit every machine on the network, regardless of platform/protocol. My mac is the only mac running os X right at this moment, and its a blast to open the connect to... dialog box, and have every NFS (we run fire/flame etc...), every SMB, and every appletalk/appleshareIP device simply line up. people drop their jaws when they see that, they think I'm messing with them, and they ask me to go back and show them how it works.
I dont know any PC out of the box that just finds Appletalk/AppleshareIP, or NFS shares.

I suppose that there must be environments where any Windows Os is easier to manage, but i just dont understand why anybody would think that os X is less powerful.

re: television ok i'll buy that, a scott invented the boob tube. And RCA made a market, a standard, and generations of idiots out of it. :)