PDA

View Full Version : LightWave v9 Video: Shading and the New Shading Models

Brian Arndt
02-16-2006, 02:30 PM
Layout: Shading and the New Shading Models

You can get it here (http://newtek.com/lightwave/lw9_demos.php)!

Enjoy!

MrWyatt
02-16-2006, 03:02 PM
any others coming befor the weekend? :hey:

WCameron
02-16-2006, 03:06 PM
doesnt seem to be working at the moment....

- Will.

Rich
02-16-2006, 03:22 PM
Wow 162 MB file? That must be a long video :D

ufo3d
02-16-2006, 03:22 PM
just watched it , SSS is awesome.

Could any tek guy at newtek reply :

does it support front scattering?
Is there Lafortune shading model?

Nigel Baker
02-16-2006, 04:04 PM
Yes there seems to be an issue with downloading this from the FTP site.
For those having download trouble with this file.
Safari - won't download it.
Camino - Crashes
DAP transfer application - Crashes

Firefox is they only one that seems to works.
Downloading now 162 megs ---

Rich
02-16-2006, 04:08 PM
Yeah, download is going dreadfully slow. Been downloading it now for 43 mins still 70mb to go. Average 32kbps on work computer. I believe we have at least T1 connection.

Nigel Baker
02-16-2006, 04:11 PM
Thanks for the heads up Rich,
I think this can wait a while if that is the case.
There is always tomorrow.

Regards.

Anttij77
02-16-2006, 04:11 PM
does it support front scattering?

Yes.

Is there Lafortunate shading model?

Not currently, no.

ufo3d
02-16-2006, 04:15 PM
oops, it should be lafortune
Thanks Anttij77. hope we will see this in lightwave in the future

dogbite
02-16-2006, 05:03 PM
movie voice guy, i want you baby!!! ,
no just kidding.

KillMe
02-16-2006, 05:27 PM
well informative video but felt more like a lecture than a demo vid

evenflcw
02-16-2006, 05:27 PM
Looks great! No, maybe awsome is a better word for it!?

Thanks Antti, Tess and NT!

Sculley
02-16-2006, 05:43 PM
I am so glad to see finally NT codeing Occlusion in to the Surface Shader... you have no idea how long Ive waited to get that in there!

Can finally drop my slow own version :) WoOoOo

dablan
02-16-2006, 06:56 PM
Weird. Safari doesn't work. What's up with that?
I use OmniWeb on my Powerbook most often... it downloads fine.

Wade
02-16-2006, 07:28 PM
Very nice! :thumbsup: :lwicon:

pixym
02-16-2006, 07:53 PM
I do never download any file with Safari, only Explorer or Firefox on Mac.

digefxgrp
02-16-2006, 11:22 PM
Excellent job on the Shader video. I hope this is the model you follow for all future videos. Very professional in execution and content.

Meshbuilder
02-16-2006, 11:55 PM
Weird. Safari doesn't work. What's up with that?

I have no problem downloading the file with Safari?

KSTAR
02-17-2006, 12:18 AM
I agree excellent video! As the feature sets of Lightwave have become more powerful its nice to see a video that exemplifies not only the features but whats under the hood. I hope this becomes a new standard especially on the power features. I read in another thread that the documentation for the nodal features will be around 150 pages! So well thought out videos like this will be an excellent source of information :thumbsup:

MrWyatt
02-17-2006, 01:22 AM
Have seen the video and am anxious to see what kind of nodes will show up in the future. The ones we allready have give you most of what you need on a daily basis, I am especially happy about the animatable gradient where you can animate the position of each color as well as plug textures into the colors instead of the old one where you could only put regular colors in.
But there are a lot of nodes that I can think of that would even push this a lot further and speed up workflow even more.
Any idea if we will get to know what nodes are currently worked on? will more nodes be available during beta? Where can I post some node requests?

Willax
02-17-2006, 11:21 AM
Well it seems like some very nice additional options for shading, and although a lot of the concepts are over my head in complexity, I know the final output is the determining factor and I like it.

Brian Arndt
02-17-2006, 11:24 AM
we are working on getting multiple types (and sizes!) of these big videos, specifically quicktime versions for mac users and DivX ones for a smaller size.

This vid has 3 versions currently. Sizes listed below the download! Hope this helps.

ufo3d
02-17-2006, 11:42 AM
Brian Arndt, any video today?

mouse_art
02-17-2006, 11:50 AM
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub/LightWave/LW9/Animation_Path.mov
maybe. ;)

btw nice.

pixym
02-17-2006, 11:55 AM
Interresting feature

ufo3d
02-17-2006, 11:56 AM
THANKS mouse_art! downloading now...

it seems they only upload one video a day
can we have more video , ahhhhhhhhh... :p

T-Light
02-17-2006, 12:22 PM
Very Open University.

Really like this vid, keep it up:thumbsup:

colkai
02-17-2006, 12:37 PM
Coolness! :)

Brian Arndt
02-17-2006, 01:13 PM
Well we have to have to make the videos first! Its linked on the video page now also!

Ivan D. Young
02-18-2006, 01:22 AM
This video is nice that it shows off the new nodal and shader models, but I would rather not have so much High School boring video format. Just my opinion, there were examples of nifty shading models but not enough practical examples(The SSS shading network for example) of how it was laid out and working. I find it more useful to have videos where there is a practical use of the tool that I can replicate and get the same results and then build on from there. The path Animation of Wind Efffectors video is a great example of that. That video will get me going much faster in LW 9 using that new tool, then seeing the general layout of shading nodes and some math functions, and I will have to still figure out how to replicate the results of that video without seeing a simple laidout example. Just my opinion on this subject, I want Newtek to keep making a great LW 9 and just want to see the best exposure or LW 9.

AbnRanger
02-18-2006, 01:41 AM
They make the videos not to suit ONLY the advanced users,
but all LW users...including those new to LW and 3D in general. As long as you got something from it, why are you complaining?

MrWyatt
02-18-2006, 01:45 AM
plus it was just an intro. there will be more vidoes going in depth about how to build shadingnetworks and how to use the different nodes. this ine was never meant to be a step by step tutorial. just take it for what it is: a good introduction to what we have to deal with in general. nothing more, nothing less.

digital verve
02-18-2006, 03:21 AM
I am very pleased with the more professional approach Newtek have taken with the videos. This video was a very nice introduction, especially accessible to beginners and dare I say it more advanced LW users, who may not be familar with nodes. Looking forward to the next node videos that get more into the nitty gritty. :)

Ivan D. Young
02-18-2006, 11:58 AM
Hey if the consensus is that the videos are doing well,then I'm cool with that. I like everyone else just want Lightwave to be a resounding success, that is all. But, C'mon does anybody think that they could of made that video and had all the same great information and be a little shorter? I mean this is Newtek, makers of Lightwave and VideoToaster, you know the "Paradigm Shift" and "the Revolution" and all that jazz! I know they got a building of FULL OF BIG BRAINS.

Kurtis
02-18-2006, 12:08 PM
This is something that we thought needed a little more explanation, and we've actually got some really positive feedback from that.

Not every video will cover the theory behind the feature, but we will go into it some when it is a fundamental workflow change and when we feel it will benefit a majority of users.

Sculley
02-18-2006, 02:33 PM
Kurtis.. get back to work.. we *all* want more more more more more and more :)

I think LW9 is shipping up to be up with the competition it once was leading :)

Mipmap
02-18-2006, 11:27 PM
So does this mean that the current way of doing surfacing with the Surface panel is out the window? Is there some kind of huge benefit from having a mess of little windows scattered all over some 2D space and drawing little arrows all over the place?

digital verve
02-19-2006, 12:59 AM
So does this mean that the current way of doing surfacing with the Surface panel is out the window? Is there some kind of huge benefit from having a mess of little windows scattered all over some 2D space and drawing little arrows all over the place?

Surface editor still staying. The node editor though, offers huge powerful benefits over the surface editor. It's a different way of working but offers so much more options and flexibility in what you can do. You are no more limited to annoying work arounds and will be able to do stuff that would be impossible previously.

I base this opinion on my familarity of using nodes in Fusion 5 (so much more powerful then After effects layer system) and from watching the LW9 videos. :D

colkai
02-19-2006, 03:01 AM
From everything I've read, the idea is the nodes are to work alongside the current system, NOT to replace it, so don't panic. ;)
I'm not even sure if you can mix them, Jay may be able to clarify that.

A Mejias
02-21-2006, 05:54 AM
According to the LW 9 info out so far you can mix and match nodes and layers any way you want.

But I think it's easier to work with node than layers. You can see everything at once and see how each node is affecting everything else. Layers requires too much clicking around and they are just not as intuitive or powerful as any of the node based shaders I've played with in the past. This is something I've been asking for since LW 4.

I think the Node Editor is turning out to be the single most important feature of LW 9! As important as nurbs was back in LW 5.5 and multi-layered objects in LW 6. Node editing is BIG, it's POWERFUL, it's COMPLEX, and it WILL CHANGE YOUR LIFE!

These videos are a must view! The more "theory" you have the more you'll get out of it and the faster you'll work. Imagine if they cut out all the 3D, Color and Texturing "theory" out of the manuals. It would just be a bunch of button descriptors and nothing else and everyone that didn't already know the "theory" behind the tool would complain about it being too hard to use etc. Teach a man to fish... works much better when the man know what a fish is and what it good for. :)

"Knowledge is POWER my brutha!"

MrWyatt
02-21-2006, 06:06 AM
Is there some kind of huge benefit from having a mess of little windows scattered all over some 2D space and drawing little arrows all over the place?

short answer. YES! and if you learn how to use it you will never look back to the old school layers system. and if you don't wan't to learn something new, good then.
a whise man sometimes said: ignorance is bliss.
:thumbsup: