PDA

View Full Version : Interior lighting issues

Filmdesigner
02-16-2006, 05:06 AM
Does anyone have a word of wisdom about a lighting set-up for a cafe interior?

I have been rendering exteriors for a while now and consider the results acceptable. On the other hand I am having a **** of a time lighting this cafe interior. I won't post the render as it is damaging to my reputation. I am doing something wrong. I can't get the soft lighting everyone expects.

So far:

The cafe is 2 storeys tall with glass on two sides (behind camera). There are 2 light pendants over the counter and approx. 15 downlights to the ceiling. I have the camera in the corner of the glass walls with the main light aimed at the floor midway to get a nice sun bounce. I have added an area light next to the camera to help with reflective bounce on the ceiling and to give a more directional look to the radiosity. Each ceiling light has a 50% spot with a 6m /18ft fall off and a low power point light to mark the ceiling.

The paint work and colour scheme is white, grey and glass panels everywhere which is murdering my render times 5-6 hours per pass at 1500x750 pixels and no bells and whistles.

The renders look like ####!

Help

Filmdesigner
02-16-2006, 05:13 AM
I was supposed to include this wire-frame of the test block model. Pretty basic stuff. The sunlight comes from camera right hitting the floor in front of the counter. Almost everything is glass fronted.

MooseDog
02-16-2006, 07:30 AM
I found this thread very helpful:thumbsup: :

http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8388