PDA

View Full Version : The new look in the forums

starbase1
02-16-2006, 03:24 AM
Never mind V9, hiow about the neat new look in the WIP and Completed forum areas?

The small thumbnail of the images by each thread is a great way to get a feel for what it's about, and if I am likely to be interested. Particularly helpful when people give vague and unhelpful titles...

Nick

umstitch
02-16-2006, 12:06 PM
starbase...bring back the googly eyed skull, it used to make me laugh,
and what happened to being a lavatory attendant?

starbase1
02-16-2006, 12:26 PM
I got a bit bored with the skull after a while... You may have seen a brief period when I was useing a flapping toilet lid...

The title of lavatory attendant was a bit of a reaction - at the time it seemed like many people were awarding themselves grand titles, master of polygons, demon lord of pixel pushing or whatever. Being English, I found this soumewhat vulgar, and decided on the least grand title that came to mind. Also being English, I think that toilets are inherently funny!

:D

If you'd like to take a copy of the goggle eyed skull, it's still available with a whole bunch of my animated GIF's here:

http://www.starbase1.co.uk/gifanims.htm

Cheers!
:neener:
Nick

lede
02-16-2006, 01:02 PM
Yeah the thumb nails in the wips and gallery is a much needed addon! Now we can get a quick and easy idea of what a thread is all about without having to dig into it :D Thanks :newtek:

-Lee

jeremyhardin
02-16-2006, 01:36 PM
agreed. i'm loving the new functions!
(way to go brian ;) ):thumbsup:

Brian Arndt
02-16-2006, 02:33 PM
If you scroll down on the homepage to the very bottom it lists the last 5 threads posted on as well.

Also, below everyones avatar on their post it tells the last time they were online.

Just a few things i thought might make things better!

umstitch
02-16-2006, 02:55 PM
yeh being english i also have a capability which allows me to be deeply humored by toilets, bicycles, teapots, and other stuff which i think kenny everett is to blame for...

ok got the googly eyed skull ..thanks starbase

(im laughing,...im alone)

Brian Arndt
02-16-2006, 03:30 PM
http://www.sorethumbz.com/avatars/bogw.gif
Tee-hee!

starbase1
02-16-2006, 03:39 PM
Yes, thanks for the updated service Brian, much appreciated.

Glad you like the animated GIF!

As I remarked in another thread, Lightwave is VERY good at making animated GIF's, in much the same way that a piledriver is very good at cracking walnuts!

:D

Brian Arndt
02-16-2006, 05:00 PM
and a BFG is very good at killing demon spawn..

Silkrooster
02-16-2006, 06:15 PM
Starbase1,
Excellent graphics. I really like the animated gifs. I also have the smilies from Daz, haven't done anything with them yet. I thought about redoing all the smilies on my forum. Help give it a kick.
Keep up the excellent work.:thumbsup:
Silk

umstitch
02-16-2006, 06:32 PM
starbase rocks

the thing is i honestly believe that the googly eyed skull is the most accurate rendition to date of the lightwave user after a long session of dynamics testing, or more likely the composing of a long expression to cure all gimbal issues on that eight legged three armed platypuss warrior you were working on last night.

honestly:angel:

an image of hopehttp://www.starbase1.co.uk/downloads/goofy.gif

KillMe
02-16-2006, 06:39 PM
yeah thats cool - makes it easier to descide if you can be bothered ot look in the thread

starbase1
02-17-2006, 04:36 AM
and a BFG is very good at killing demon spawn..

Now come on Brian, you edited that after being caught by the profanity filter, admit it!

Thing is, when I saw a 4 letter word starred out in front of spawn, I naturally assumed it must be 'frog', and spent a bemused 30 seconds trying to work out why anyone would consider 'frog' a swear word......

Nick

Brian Arndt
02-17-2006, 08:20 AM
well if anyone has played Doom, thats what i was refering too :) and in Doom you fight things from h-ell. and thats what got edited :D

lede
02-17-2006, 08:48 AM
If you scroll down on the homepage to the very bottom it lists the last 5 threads posted on as well.

Brian, That is kwel to have but you know I usually start at the User CP when I come here so never see that :( It is good to see some one is taking care of the forums now and we didn't get abondoned and left to wonder here aimlessly.

Keep up the nice enhancements!
-Lee

Brian Arndt
02-17-2006, 09:04 AM
If there is any other feature you would like to see please post it. I can't guarantee anything but ill definately look into it!

MrWyatt
02-17-2006, 09:13 AM
Brian could you have a look at the LW9 video site. The newest isn't where it is linked to and doesn't download.

MrWyatt
02-17-2006, 09:34 AM
now it's gone.

Brian Arndt
02-17-2006, 09:57 AM
It was up like 2 seconds haha. Dont worry it will be back as soon as we get a version uploaded. :thumbsup:

lesterfoster
02-17-2006, 10:33 AM
If there is any other feature you would like to see please post it. I can't guarantee anything but ill definately look into it!

Spell checker for the reply to thread page.

One like on this website, http://www.thesolutioncafe.com/public-spell-checker.html
but part of the fourms so a person can check there spelling before hitting the Submit Reply button

Carm3D
02-17-2006, 11:00 AM

How about front page plugs for cool threads (like mine :) )?

Brian Arndt
02-17-2006, 11:21 AM
so any thread by you is listed on top? hehe

MrWyatt
02-17-2006, 11:23 AM
how many new videos before the weekend Brian?
:hey:

Carm3D
02-17-2006, 11:39 AM
so any thread by you is listed on top? hehe

Exactly.. So nobody misses my pearls of wisdom (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46121).

Brian Arndt
02-17-2006, 01:03 PM
got one up today so far. .not sure what else we have coming yet.

fyborg_1138
02-17-2006, 10:38 PM
I like the new thumbnails for the WIPs and finished work. Is there a way to post a proxy thumbnail for mature content in the same way that I see the 'nudity warning' text on some posts? Not that I plan to post anything considered mature, but I tend to think about "what ifs..."

Steven.

Brian Arndt
02-21-2006, 09:20 AM
honestly im not sure, but ill look into it

Twisted_Pixel
02-23-2006, 10:32 AM
Brian you may want to look at moving the Beta forums to the top of the list, so they are easier found by the testers.

Only going by what i've read on the normal forums, due to me not being able to afford upgrade :(

badllarma
02-23-2006, 10:58 AM

Accurate lottery predictor page.

Something simple click a button and this weeks winning numbers are given two days before the draw. Of course it will have to cover US and Europe :D

starbase1
02-28-2006, 03:17 AM
http://www.sorethumbz.com/avatars/bogw.gif
Tee-hee!

Well, you mighty be interested that I have completely rebuilt the animated GIF's chunk, using JAlbum... Should load faster and other good things. Quite a few new ones in there too, (though I am sure there is the odd dud thumbnail and similar!)

http://www.starbase1.co.uk/animatedgifs/index.html

Cheers,
Nick

Silkrooster
02-28-2006, 04:29 PM
Website is looking better. Question for ya, What do you do to get rid of the jaggies on a gif image. Everytime I create an image and apply a transparent color, the edges look horrible.
Silk

Kurtis
02-28-2006, 04:45 PM
From my experience, the best suggestion is to make the background of your GIF as close as possible to the color background you're going to put it against, and then use that as the transparent selection color. This usually does the best job of hiding the antialiasing pixels.

starbase1
02-28-2006, 04:45 PM
Very Simple!
I don't apply transparency, I just render against the final; background colour!
:D :D :D

Seriously, if you do want a transparent background, you need to be very careful - anti aliasing will blend towards the background colour, so if you render against black, there will be some almost black areas at the edge, these will look dark if you use transparency and a white background.

Well, thats a bit over simplified - with GIF's transparency os on or off, so that applies to the final image. But if you render the individual frames against a blank / null background, and save to a format that supports degrees of transparency, you may be aboe to do more.

But I'm lazy.
:devil:

lardbros
02-28-2006, 05:06 PM
Hmmm, i wonder why us Brits find toilets, bogs, loos, crappers, so funny?? I thought it was just me! :D

I did my dissertation film with a toilet theme too, all my tutors were English, so maybe that's why i got a good grade? :D

Yeah, thumbs up to Brian for the thumbs on the main pages! Looking great! Especially useful for when eejots post screen size TGA's when they're working on 21" screens! DOH

Silkrooster
02-28-2006, 07:17 PM
Thanks for the tips,
I think once IE 7 has gone gold so the majority has ver 7 instead of 6. I will dump gifs and use png's. The true color and alpha channel has my vote. Its really too bad that gif doesn't get updated.
Usually when I render to the same background color I just use jpeg. It may not offer animation, but with a little jacascript code, it wouldn't be very hard to play a sequence:hey: (assuming file size is small enough).
Silk