PDA

View Full Version : Shot glass

randomnumbers
02-15-2006, 03:05 PM
Same settings as for the ring.

randomnumbers
02-15-2006, 05:48 PM
Moved the ring out of the glass.
What was I thinking putting it in there in the first place?
Added some whiskey too. Can't have an empty glass.
Not sure the refraction on the whiskey is correct. Been staring at it too long to know for sure.

RudySchneider
02-15-2006, 07:37 PM
Well, down a glass yourself and I'm sure it'll start looking just right! Looks pretty convincing to me, and I haven't had any...

mangray
02-16-2006, 11:04 PM
Perfect, looks real!

nice day
mangray

gerry_g
02-17-2006, 03:58 AM
Aaaaaagh!!........I've just spent the last two days doing bloody 'shot glasses', I hop on the site to give my eyes a rest from staring at them and what do I find........ yours looks great.

randomnumbers
02-17-2006, 04:20 AM
Hehe, thanks.
So when do we get to see yours?

kylekoch
02-17-2006, 08:59 AM
Hey randomnumbers, thats beautiful glass, could you possibly divulge your surfacing settings etc and whatever secrets you used to get it so nice. Its really exceptional to my eye!
thx
kyle

JustAnotherBox
02-17-2006, 02:01 PM
WOW! What does the geometry for that look like? Is the whiskey an object boolean cut from the inside of the glass with refraction?

randomnumbers
02-18-2006, 10:10 AM
thx guys....

@kylekoch:
Below are the texture settings (glass, whiskey, air). The glass has 90% color highlights, 10% color filter. The whiskey has 70% highlights, 100% filter.
Reflection and refraction options for both are set to raytrace + spherical.
To get a good looking reflection you really need a decent image to spherical map. I used a free hdr image I found somewhere on the net.
The trick is to keep tweaking things until it looks right.
Hope that helps some!

randomnumbers
02-18-2006, 10:42 AM
@justanotherbox:
The images below should give an idea of what I did.
Using an image I found with a google image search, I created the curve in the first image and lathed it out to give the wire in the second image.
Then copied that mesh to another layer and smooth scaled it a little and flipped the polys to create the "air" mesh (third image).
The smooth scale was at the suggestion of someone in the work-in-progress forum to improve refraction and the perceived thickness of the glass.
I then copied the glass mesh to another layer and deleted the "outer" polys to form the basic shape of the whiskey inside as shown in the fourth image (this way I can guarantee that the outer surface of the whiskey is the same as the inner surface of the glass).
Rather than just cap this mesh, I copied it to another layer and y-axis scaled it (see the last image). This gives a subtle curvature at the point where the whisky interfaces with the glass in an attempt to simulate the surface tension of the liquid.
Then just merged the two whiskey layers.
Lastly, I subD'd everything to smooth it all out.
Job done.
I hope that made some kind of sense. It is a heck of a lot easier to do than it is to explain!!

Captain Obvious
02-18-2006, 02:42 PM
Try increasing the minimum glancing angle in the Fast Fresnel shader to about 50 or so. Technically, the tangens of this value should be equal to the index of refraction. So with an IOR of 1.6, the glancing angle should be 58.

Nice image though! :)

5had0w
02-18-2006, 03:05 PM
That's cOoL!! Keep on the good woRk!:thumbsup:

P.S - I want to LW something but i dont know what... =[

randomnumbers
02-18-2006, 06:15 PM
Cheers for the info Captain Obvious... Didn't know that formula.
Made two test renders based on that (no AA to cut down render time).
What blew me away was the difference in rendering time. Nearly 6x faster with the "proper" values.

Gettarobox
02-18-2006, 09:22 PM
that's really nice. it's indeed amazing how right settings will speed up the rendering on things.like having the proper fall off on an area light with radiosity. if it is set to no fall off it takes way longer.

etobiason
02-21-2006, 02:59 PM
What does it mean when you say "all glancing angles set to default" or "atan(refraction)"? Is this the LW renderer?

-e

edit: I see! The Fast Fresnel shader. I scanned up and down the posts and didn't notice that one at first!

v1u1ant
06-18-2007, 07:53 AM
I concur, correct settings=faster render