PDA

View Full Version : Im interesting about VT4, questions

djozy
02-15-2006, 12:41 AM
Hi
i would like to use the vt4 for sport productions and my needs are:

1. inputs for 6 component cameras
2. inputs for 3 vtrs (could be also firewire)
3. 3 internal vtrs that records 3 different cameras (for instant replay)
the internal vtrs should return to the cue point together and play
in slowmotion.
4. 3 different layers of titling (eg. clock, scores, statistics)
5. can 3 people work at simultanusely on the same vt system?
(switcher, vtr's, cg)

Thanks for your help

Paul Lara
02-15-2006, 02:51 AM
Hi
i would like to use the vt4 for sport productions and my needs are:

1. inputs for 6 component cameras

check.

2. inputs for 3 vtrs (could be also firewire)

Composite inputs? check. (you only have 2 Y/C or component inputs left at this point)

3. 3 internal vtrs that records 3 different cameras (for instant replay)
the internal vtrs should return to the cue point together and play
in slowmotion.

VT[4] cannot perform a synch-roll of multiple DDRs.

VT[4] unfortunately has just one key bus, so it cannot perform this internally.
You could, however, run the clock and scoreboard as downstream key, and perhaps bring in another layer via iVGA and key that to projector out.

5. can 3 people work at simultanusely on the same vt system?
(switcher, vtr's, cg)

Yes. TD runs the RS-8, CG can be operated via keyboard/mouse, and the DDRs could be manipulated with USB-connected Shuttle Pro controllers.

I hope this helps.

wvp
02-15-2006, 07:08 AM
3. 3 internal vtrs that records 3 different cameras (for instant replay) the internal vtrs should return to the cue point together and play in slowmotion.
Also note that the VT can bring 3 sources in, but A) I'm not sure the computer could handle recording & playing back that many. B) You wouldn't be able to switch while recording the 3. :(

There is some scoreboard software available, check out the 3rd party section.

kltv
02-15-2006, 02:08 PM
VT[4] unfortunately has just one key bus, so it cannot perform this internally.
You could, however, run the clock and scoreboard as downstream key, and perhaps bring in another layer via iVGA and key that to projector out.

You can run multiple Character Generators, but only one can be on-air in the DSK at once. We routinely do sports with two or three CG modules running and cycle between them in the DSK. We also have added ToasterScript commands to allow us to take to a preview source and switch the DSK at the same time. That gives you the option to be on a camera with a scoreboard and then take to another camera with a player stats lower third, but without the scoreboard. There was a bug that stopped us from doing that with VT[4], but it is supposed to be fixed now, but I haven't downloaded the update on that machine yet.

Kris

vanderwielen
02-15-2006, 02:29 PM
we use 2 - vt3's and produce 85 sporting events yearly. The toaster is the best solution for a low cost - high performance mobile solution, if you can live within it's limitations. contact [email protected] and ill give you some advice. I'm sitting in our production trailer now waiting for tip-off.

djozy
02-19-2006, 02:32 AM
can i bring in and out the cg layers one at a time?
i meen with DSK allways on, and play the animation in and out of every layer.

another question:
can i record the game clock to the DDR and play it on the corner with key or mask or maybee just resize it to the corner?

djozy
02-19-2006, 02:55 AM
correction: animation in the "CG "

kltv
02-19-2006, 02:25 PM
can i bring in and out the cg layers one at a time?
i meen with DSK allways on, and play the animation in and out of every layer.

You can cut between different CG or DDR sources, but only one will be on-air at a time. And you can only cut between them, basically a hot-punch between sources. You could fade the DSK out, then switch sources, then fade the DSK up. Those are really your only options with live CG sources.

can i record the game clock to the DDR and play it on the corner with key or mask or maybee just resize it to the corner?

Yes. This could be preproduced with VT-Edit. You could record the clock into the system, then crop and position it in VT-Edit, render it out, then play it from a DDR in the DSK. Keep in mind that you still only have the one DSK, so you only get one element at a time. If you are playing a DDR in the DSK you don't get any CG elements at the same time.

We have experimented with a couple different methods of getting a clock on the air. The scoreboard skin I built has the ability to run a live clock from the CG module. That works pretty well, but we sometimes have a hard time keeping up with the starts and stops of the clock. I'd really like to find a way to get the official scoreboard to trigger our scoreboard as well, but I haven't made that miracle happen yet. Our second option uses the more traditional method of a live camera shooting the scoreboard. We use a custom DVE to crop and scale the official clock into position with a nice graphic around it. The downside with this method is that we can't switch cameras while the effect is in. So we just bring the clock in every few minutes, then bring it back out. It works pretty well, even if the clock isn't there the whole time. Plus, using the DVE method we still get the CG scoreboard at the same time, since it is downstream of the DVE.

Anybody else want another DSK or two? I know I do! :hey:

Kris

radams
02-19-2006, 02:53 PM
THere is away to have MULTIPLE overlay sources LIVE...but it can not be with CG or with a DDR...is has to be thru using VT edit....witih using TED...you can setup several layers of overlays...then either pop them on or off, etc...

But this is NOT easy to do LIVE...it takes practice and concentration to keep things straight......you can also set things up in TED to do cover ups of the cameras...and also like with what someone else said you can use a utlilty macor to setup and swich several sources and overlays...

The best thing to do is talk with some of the guys here who do it every week...and to go to your local dealer and setup some demos to do what you need (at least in a small version)...SOmething that you might also want to look at is to DA several camera feeds...one to the main VT LIVE switcher...and the others to some tricasters...use the tricasters for your tape delay...and record directly to to disk...

Then your DDR op...will be incharge of those....drop the VTR's out of your model...put everythin onto disk and use several DDR's in your main VT...and you then also can use the tricasters as exteranl DDR's and as disk replays...

Cheers,

kltv
02-19-2006, 06:32 PM
THere is away to have MULTIPLE overlay sources LIVE...but it can not be with CG or with a DDR...is has to be thru using VT edit....witih using TED...you can setup several layers of overlays...then either pop them on or off, etc...

But this is NOT easy to do LIVE...

That's why it would be nice to have another DSK. If it can be done live in VT-Edit, we should be able to do it with the switcher. We use at least two Character Generators, both being constantly updated live during a game. That makes it hard to use VT-Edit as the DSK source in a sports situation for mutliple layers of graphics.

Using VT-Edit would work well if everything was completely pre-built and ready to go. It would also give you some more interesting animation possibilties using positioning, etc.

Kris

djozy
02-19-2006, 11:52 PM
can i combine animated logo (video file) with the graphics?
if not in the cg maybe in the vt edit?

let say i will take a seccont vt4 and use it for the vt edit with external key
it will work?

thanks for all your response

radams
02-20-2006, 12:07 AM
Caution as to inputing seperate keys with fills... into a VTsystem

1) you loose the option to have a preview

2) you lose the option to do FX's

so all you can do is straight cuts...on the main bus...

3) also the output is NOT a linear key signal...it is an alpha...The key bus on VT is for Linear or chroma keys NOT alpha keys...so what you expect may not funtion the way you want fully but with many limitation...and for a LIVE work do NOT give yourself limitations....that leads to errors and mistakes.

IMHO...

Again I would suggest looking to use 2 to 3 tricasters for you replay systems...feed them into your main VT LIVE system...

Then I would try to preset as much graphics and animations as possible....and also note that there are other third party applications that can be used to help automate many things...check out FX monkey's stuff, etc...

There are several options but you will need to see the use and limitations each has...

Remember you are not buying a $1 million dollar remote truck...

So there are going to be some limitations...or restrictions.

Build not just one VT...but look to build the WHOLE system that you will need.

Cheers,

Cheers,

djozy
02-20-2006, 12:31 AM
What is exactly tricaster?

can you give me some links foe information?

radams
02-20-2006, 01:18 AM
What is exactly tricaster?

can you give me some links foe information?

Tri caster is a smaller version of the VT and is prepackaged even with its own computer...and is a dedicated production device...

http://www.newtek.com/tricaster/

If you DA the camera's you want to Iso replay from so one feed goes to a tricaster the other feeds the LIVE VT...then take the output from the tricasters and feed that into the LIVE vt...the tricasters could be recording matieral for Replays... Think of it as an external DDR...

Now you could also use one for graphic feed using iVGA...but it is really only good at this time for NON dynamic CGs...etc...

In your original post you were asking for alot more than basic setup is designed for...which is why I suggested that you look at your WHOLE setup needs...and to see what gear will help complete it...you will find that VT and NT are GOOD choices...but you will need to add more software and additional gear to get what you were asking for.

Cheers,