PDA

View Full Version : Some positive Lightwave G4 vs PC shoot-out benches.

Ade
02-16-2003, 09:23 AM
Article (http://www.aceshardware.com/read.jsp?id=50000336)

The DP 1.25 actually comes off close with the Intel 3.06ghz.

This is actually good when you say to yourselves the g4 is on a measley 167 bus and is like only 1.25 mhz a piece. Im pleased...I wonder how fast the 1.42 will be?

The DV shootout is a different story though, they talk about how Premiere isnt optimised to the dual cpu usage nor altivec in the macs.. Who cares when you have FCP.

Lynx3d
02-16-2003, 09:41 AM
If the price would be in a better relation to the performance i'd be pleased too...

As the article states, even a Dell Dual Xeon is much cheaper, not to mention a self built one...

But we'll see if Macs really get the IBM Power4 64bit CPUs, that could at least fix the performance part to everyones satisfaction :D

Johnny
02-16-2003, 11:09 AM
I think it's important to note that the winner in the test (a PC) tho it has twice the MHz value as the Mac entry, it wasn't twice as fast!

J

ingo
02-16-2003, 01:10 PM
Well this is an old article, so completly useless. A dual G4 1250 and a dual Dell Xeon 2000, which render roughly the same times, cost the same; of course equiped with the same components. While a dual Xeon 2800 is a lot faster, for that price you can add an iMac. And i'm not even adding the higher maintenance costs for a PC.

Lynx3d
02-16-2003, 01:31 PM
Hm, price of the Mac did indee go down quite a bit...so yea it's roughly the price of a Dual 2GHz Xeon. My bad...

But comparing the MHz is futile, completely different designs. P4 has a very long pipeline and the G4 a very short one that relys on parallelism.

Meshbuilder
02-16-2003, 05:49 PM
You can probably build or find a cheaper PC but if you look at this you see that a Dual Xeon machine isn't that cheap..
Go and check out Dellīs website by yourself..

Dell Computer..
Dual P4 Xeon 2800 Mhz
With combodrive, I GB DDR memory..
= 4007 $

Boxx computer..
Dual P4 Xeon 2800 Mhz
With combodrive, gigabit ethernet, I GB DDR memory....
= 4421 $

The powermac dual 1250 Mhz..
With combodrive, gigabit ethernet, I GB DDR memory..
= 2345 $

I think it's time for Apple to add two more extra CPU in that PowerMac and charge 4000$.. And we will have a pretty fast Mac :)

cuse
02-17-2003, 03:43 AM
peecee's have always had a higher mhz than a mac, for a long time now anyway, but that doesnt always meant the performance is better.

i dont use lightwave for work really and theres many other applications where macs kick *** so this doesnt bother me at all.

plus, the current mac setup is very good, theyre fast and reliable and i dont know many (designer s) that have performance troubles on g4's.

i think a laptop performance test might be more interesting, the old age mac vs pc is too heated and boring.

:D

cuse