PDA

View Full Version : LightWave Training at FRIENDSGRAPH '06

arcticwolfsong
02-14-2006, 02:40 PM
2005 as quite the whirlwind! With inspirational speaking engagements at conventions in Europe and the US, consulting gigs, private training sessions, and even a Guest of Honor position with Peter Laird, ("Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" co-creator,) the year went by saturated with motion-blur! :P

The virtual studio is rolling on the production of the second "Kaze, Ghost Warrior" short film. And now that the proof-of-concept first work has been done, showing that it is indeed possible to get significant visuals out of a one-person-show, the team is really gearing to do things right! We've had trainees, go from barely knowing LightWave to becoming fully-fledged assistants in under 6 weeks. And we've had programming tests for new LightWave tools that have left me absolutely giddy!

I've been asked to co-teach the 2-day, seminar of intensive training at Kurv Studios' "Friendsgraph" this year. I've drawn-up a list of some of the most well-received subjects I've taught in previous seminars, but I'd like to hear what _you_ would like to learn. What are the things _you_ would like to come away with to make your jobs and lives easier? What would _you_ like to know the quickest and most easiest ways of doing to make your time with LightWave a lot more like play, and a lot less like work?

My current list of topics is:

Realistic Animal Fur in Sasquatch
Super-Accelerating Sasquatch renders
Advanced Character Rigging for both realistic and "cartooney" characters
Advanced animation mechanics
Life Drawing in 3D
Acting for Animators
Facial Animation

- Timothy
___
Timothy Albee
http://ta-animation.com

pdrake
02-14-2006, 02:55 PM
that's great timothy. i'm really looking forward to it.

is there any chance we can go include lw cad at all?

arcticwolfsong
02-14-2006, 03:51 PM
Thanks for the suggestion!

I'm much more Character than CAD, myself... but Larry Shultz, the co-teacher, perfectly fits that bill.

I'll pass along the suggestion to him!

Thanks!

- Timothy

Kurtis
02-14-2006, 08:24 PM
Timothy,

Looking forward to seeing you and Larry there.

Paul Goodrich
02-14-2006, 10:15 PM
Will the training be in LW9 only? or 8 and 9? As I've not upgraded to 9 as of yet.
Paul Goodrich

kurv
02-15-2006, 08:27 AM
Hey thanks Timothy!!

Paul, we will touch on 9 and have a session on it's new items. But the core of the training will be focused on areas that would not be specific to 9. We want to train the group on HOW to use LightWave, not how to use LW9. hope that helps.

I wanted to also pop in after seeing this thread to say... The sessions will be from 9am - 6pm each day, this gives us 8 hours of training per day (minus a one hour lunch). We will have a classroom style setup and we will provide videos of the training for the attendees so their is no need to take notes, just sit back a soak in the training.

Each night you are invited to go out to dinner with Larry, Tim and myself. We will be going to a place that has a buffet (so the price is the same) and has a private room for us. This will be a great time to bounce your LightWave questions off of 2 of the best LightWave artists in the industry.

Great post Tim, thanks...

So, what other topics would you like us to cover?

pdrake
02-15-2006, 11:46 AM
should we bring a laptop?

arcticwolfsong
02-15-2006, 12:31 PM
I'd definitely bring a laptop to the dinners. It's so much easier to get a grasp on things if you can see someone "driving" the software.

Much of what I'm going over is independent of LightWave revisions. (I was able to perfectly replicate the Softimage character Riggings we used on Walt Disney's "Dinosaur" in LightWave 5.6 using Puppetmaster....)

And in talking with Wes and Larry, there will be a great balance of things on 8 and 9. I'm certainly looking forward to seeing Larry's ways of working... so much of what he does is just the most elegant way of problem-solving! (And when you haven't got a lot of time to get things looking good, elegance-in-workflow is what you need!)

- Timothy

kurv
02-16-2006, 09:38 AM
I would bring one persoanlly to the seminar as well... just to have during breaks at the least to play with your new tricks...

wulfie
02-28-2006, 03:16 PM
I cant wait to meet you all! I have read and watched you all online, in video, on CD ROM for many years now. I have heard more hours of Larry's voice than anyone I can think of save my own mother :)

I have one thing in particular that I would like to learn. As primarily a character animator.... I want to improve my ability to walk or run a character around. As in go different directions and not have the feet sliding around.

Baking....saving out motions and rigs...motion mixer...All weak areas for me as well.

It will be a special treat for me to meet Timothy Albee. Your inspiration is of great value to me. I will have the DVD of my trailer for my movie that I have done with LW. No taking only 6 months here. More like 6 years going on 10. Someday kids will have a very unusual music education Sci fi fantasy video to watch.

Plus I will get to meet other animators..... I really don't even know anyone who works with 3D animation. So I am indeed excited.

See you all soon!

Bev Standish
Wolfsong Studios

arcticwolfsong
03-01-2006, 12:56 PM
Thanks Bev!

Those are good suggestions! I use Motion Mixer a fair amount, especially when testing-out riggings and cloth simulations, throwing ready-made animations onto a character to see how s/he moves. MMixer is a very powerful, little-known tool, (one could do a "Saturday Morning" style cartoon amazingly easy with it).

*adds to his list of class notes for the presentation*

Thanks again Bev! Looking forward to meeting-up in April!

Timothy

wulfie
03-14-2006, 04:35 PM
Getting more excited all the time about this workshop! I'm actually leaving my house besides like for groceries? Wow!

Circumstances have changed in my life and I was wondering if it is possible to up my stay to the longer time. Right now I am registered for the 19th through the 22nd only. Is it possible to send the cost difference and lengthen my stay? :)

Thanks!

Bev

SplineGod
03-14-2006, 05:31 PM
I think a laptop is a good idea. Its easier to follow along if you want and a good way to quickly type any notes. As with past seminars DVDs will be created with the same lectures for the attendees.
I agree with Tim, it will be pretty interesting for not only the attendees but for those of us who are presenting to see different ways of accomplishing the same things. Pretty exciting stuff!
Im also looking forward to meeting everyone.

Bev,
It looks like youre doomed to hear several more hours of my voice :)

wulfie
03-16-2006, 11:22 PM
Well circumstances have changed again so I won't be needing to up my stay....at least on the front side. I may be staying for NAB.

Larry, Doomed is hardly the word I would choose...... hearing you is always a privilege. It will be fun to show you the work that you have helped me with for so long. I hope I prove a worthy student.

Bev

SplineGod
03-17-2006, 10:27 AM
Thanks Bev! :)
Youve always done very well which is nice to see. Definately will be cool to see you there. :)