PDA

View Full Version : Deck control with DDR Capture

jsanfilippo
02-14-2006, 02:11 PM
I know that VT4.5 has some form of deck control. Is that only associated with triggering a deck for capture? Is it possible to setup my capture DDR so that when I click record (to record my live program), that it will trigger my Sony DVCam deck to record as well, and stop the deck when I stop recording?

I want to use my DVCam as a backup, but have it automated.

If this is possible, how would I go about setting this up?

kltv
02-14-2006, 03:45 PM
You can bring up a Deck Control module to control your DV deck if you have it connected over Firewire. It gives you full play, stop, pause, record and jog/shuttle control of the deck. Basically all you need to do is hit record and stop on that module when you start and stop your DDR captures. If you position the DDR and Deck Control modules next to each other, it shouldn't be much of a hassle.

I don't think there is a way to automate the DDR and Deck Control together to fire togther. You might be able to do it with some ToasterScript, but I'm not sure.

Kris

jsanfilippo
02-14-2006, 03:53 PM
Thanks for the feedback. But I actually don't have firewire on my VT machine (crazy, eh!). I heard of too many issues with firewire, and since it was built for live production and not post, I didn't bother.

The deck control is available through RS-242, isn't it?

I know there are some toasterscript gurus out there - any ideas from them?

jamie

kltv
02-14-2006, 04:46 PM
Yeah. You can use RS-422 as well. I am a minor ToasterScript guru, but I haven't dealt with DDR stuff, mostly CG and Switcher issues.

Kris

John Perkins
02-14-2006, 04:46 PM
If you have the SX-8 or SX-84 you can control playback and record of RS-422 decks. Some are RS-232, so make sure you check the manual for the deck.

You will also need a 9pin serial extension cable to go between the computer and the serial connector on the SX-8 or SX-84.

It really wouldn't be hard to trigger the record with ToasterScript, but you might simply want to open the deck control window and use one extra mouse click.

Quick, easy, already shows timecode and it's dependable ;)
Sometimes that's better than a custom script.

jsanfilippo
02-14-2006, 05:03 PM
I do have the SX-84.
I have the DSR-25.... just checked a website, and it says RS-232C.
So the SX-84 can ONLY control 422 decks???? No way then to control my DSR-25?

Two reasons for wanting to script it....
#1) There are times when I will be starting and stopping ALOT.
#2) Desktop realestate - trying to reduce having ANOTHER window open.

jsanfilippo
02-14-2006, 05:05 PM
Yeah. You can use RS-422 as well. I am a minor ToasterScript guru, but I haven't dealt with DDR stuff, mostly CG and Switcher issues.

Kris
Out of curitousity.... what types of CG and Switcher related things have you done with scripting? I'd be curious to know about good enhancements or fixes that you've custom made.

Actually - a new thread about this (if it hasn't been done) for people to contribute ideas and successes with scripting - that could be very interesting.

John Perkins
02-14-2006, 07:04 PM
DSR-25? That doesn't have RS-232, just DV, Control-S and LANC. Are you sure you checked that right?

---Make sure you know what your deck is before reading-------
If your deck is RS-232, you can plug right into a com port and then select it in the deck control window. RS-232 is a standard PC com port. Just get a straight through cable, not a null-modem cable.

It's misleading because the deck control window says RS-422 Com1, etc, but the control codes are the same. The SX unit converts the voltage levels for 422 and gives a few extra ports.
-------------------------------------------------------------

There is a whole TScript forum that seems lonely. There is a good bit of information to be found in there.

kltv
02-14-2006, 08:26 PM
Out of curitousity.... what types of CG and Switcher related things have you done with scripting?

For the Character Generator, most of my scripting has revolved around special skins for sports scoreboards. See http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40987

I've also added a few custom functions to the switcher that are mapped to a ShuttlePro controller. I added some commands to select DSK sources by name, take preview and toggle DSK at the same time, and auto-trans to preview and mix the DSK. Stuff like that.

Kris

Jim_C
02-14-2006, 08:49 PM
Honestly, I don't think you'll have any trouble putting a FW card in to control your deck.

ScorpioProd
02-14-2006, 10:43 PM
DSR-25? That doesn't have RS-232, just DV, Control-S and LANC. Are you sure you checked that right?

DSR-20 has RS-232... Not sure what DSR-25 has...