PDA

View Full Version : BeeVee - Please don't let Europe down!

kevinmcpoland
02-14-2006, 12:58 PM
Ben,

I can understand the flack that is going around how LW - Europe customers are feeling really burnt by the LW 9 beta not being given when stated, as I too have been waiting all day hitting refresh for the news, but regardless of what we all feel, it's not coming today and that's that.

What I am asking is could you please not let us down tomorrow by either a) not telling us anything and making us guess about expected availability times, and b), make it available in the morning so we get a more even spread of users (many will be at work and may not hit the servers until the evening).

Just a suggestion to try and keep things in perspective for Europe users...

Kev McP

colkai
02-14-2006, 01:18 PM
Trust me, Ben is working his butt off as are all over at Newtek.
I just don't get the furore over it, if I'm being honest, I half expected it to be tomorrow given the possiblity that if Newtek USA delivered it late in the day, that's effectively "tomorrow" for us in the UK.

I think some folks were just waiting for the chance to complain, even if it was up for download, they'd complain about the download speed, or about something else.
We ain't saving lives here, it's BETA for gawds sake, I'm half expecting the self same people to say it's got bugs in and start whining. ;) :p

Bog
02-14-2006, 01:25 PM
I doubt Ben's let anyone down, even remotely. If NTE didn't get the LW9 beta until after office hours in Europe, there's not a great deal you can do about that.

I can just imagine the emails going back and forward now....

"Dear Chuck,

Once again, there's a horde of people with pitchforks and torches outside the window, baying for their software. I've shown them the World Clock, but it hasn't had much effect on them.

Please let me know soonest when the download might be ready, as they're starting to chant and throw AOL CDs.

Kind regards,

Ben

As ever, they're doing the best they can. You know how renders always seem to slow down for the last hundred or so frames...

Dragon Lee
02-14-2006, 01:28 PM
I do not understand, nor wish to hear an explanation on WHY the beta is being separated between EU and others...

This is a plain silly move, they had MONTHS to get the servers set up properly so that only entering a valid serial would allow one to get into the beta, why there was no shared database of eligible licenses beats me...

Heck, a bunch of weeks ago Newtek Europe mentioned in a mailing that they were already setting up/streamlining their servers so the beta could be distributed better...I guess we're seeing the effects of that now???

Bog
02-14-2006, 01:34 PM
Tsk. Bad luck for your first post in a new forum to be negative, you know!

colkai
02-14-2006, 01:45 PM
To quote Kosh...
"And so it begins" :p

kevinmcpoland
02-14-2006, 01:50 PM
I appreciate that Ben is but a cog in the great machine that is Newtek, and I did not mean to imply that this was his fault, thus my "asking" and not "demanding" for some consideration... :D

...and is that qoute really from Kosh, or did he nick it from Gandalf...?

Kev McP

TSpyrison
02-14-2006, 02:23 PM
To quote Kosh...
"And so it begins" :p

Ahh I loved that show..

I mean honestly.. Did any of us actually expect today to get by without people looking for stuff to gripe about? I'ts not like not getting it till tomorrow is going to make your dog die or something..

Bog
02-14-2006, 02:29 PM
I'ts not like not getting it till tomorrow is going to make your dog die or something..

But... but I don't have a dog....

OH Gh0D! THE CATS!!!!!

;)

Dragon Lee
02-14-2006, 02:55 PM
Tsk. Bad luck for your first post in a new forum to be negative, you know!

It is? Says who? :p
And who would it be bad luck for? The ones I used this "very special saved for over 2 years first post" on? Or am I oddly cursing myself just because I finally use the long time saved very first post I have to make a statement that I deemed worthy to use it for? :p
(anyone still reading this? :) )

Besides, it was not negative, it was constructive critisism, something to think of "next time"...

To quote Kosh...
"And so it begins"

It begins, yet has already begun, what once was, will be again...

VML
02-14-2006, 04:12 PM
Trust me, Ben is working his butt off as are all over at Newtek.
I just don't get the furore over it, if I'm being honest, I half expected it to be tomorrow given the possiblity that if Newtek USA delivered it late in the day, that's effectively "tomorrow" for us in the UK.

I think some folks were just waiting for the chance to complain, even if it was up for download, they'd complain about the download speed, or about something else.
We ain't saving lives here, it's BETA for gawds sake, I'm half expecting the self same people to say it's got bugs in and start whining. ;) :p

Dont forget that it's a late beta, brought out to distract attention from a late V9 - paid for in advance.
No-one thinks they are doing nothing, but they had the opportunity to say exactly when different time zones would be served - just give a realistic time scale and stick to it.
As I write downloads are available in the USA but not Europe until midday tomorrow UK time (why not first thing ?).
Yes, it is a beta - but V9 is overdue - Vue infinite enticed me into pre grading but for the future Newtek are running out of options to generate development revenue with 'free' software - maybe a free seat of Max, Maya or Xsi for V10 ?
To summarise - do what you say you will do ........... or don't say anything !

Bog
02-14-2006, 04:17 PM
do what you say you will do ........... or don't say anything !

Yup. Either don't announce your next release, or just release it despite it being as buggy as the Amazon rainforest. ****ed good way to do things.

You know, whoever decided to pay thousands of dollars per annum for high-bandwidth hosting really is giving everyone a lot of catharsis.

Bytehawk
02-14-2006, 04:24 PM
welll i feel I have to chime in

have a cognac, brandy or whatever
drink to the fact the yanks beat us to be the first

what is it they say, the last will be the first.....

i will be catching up the 24 hours I lost very quickly

see you on the other side, hope everyone here will bring their energy and stamina. We're in for a long test.

VML
02-14-2006, 04:28 PM
Yup. Either don't announce your next release, or just release it despite it being as buggy as the Amazon rainforest. ****ed good way to do things.

You know, whoever decided to pay thousands of dollars per annum for high-bandwidth hosting really is giving everyone a lot of catharsis.

Don't think I said that - dont say software will be out Q4 2005 on the back of pregrades if its beyond you - dont give a beta release date until it's ready to release - its fair to expect a good deal of work on V9 BEFORE V9 is due.
UK

VML
02-14-2006, 04:41 PM

see you on the other side, hope everyone here will bring their energy and stamina. We're in for a long test.

Hi Bytehawk,
I'm cool about whoever downloads first and look forward to what lies ahead but hope that Newtek USA/Europe can one day get in sync.
It is also easy for emails to be sent to all registered upgraders outlining new download schedules.

Dragon Lee
02-14-2006, 04:46 PM

Said my thing, am done, so now I'll drink with ya!

:beerchug: Here's to riding a bit smoother ride tomorrow when we already know which bugs to avoid!:beerchug:

VML
02-14-2006, 05:04 PM

VML
02-14-2006, 05:08 PM
??????????

VML
02-14-2006, 05:16 PM

"Reversal of Values

I explore catharsis in more detail. It is the most peculiar stage of the process of abreaction. It usually has either a sexual theme or a theme of self-praise. The sexual theme is the more peculiar of the two, so I focus on it.

The usefulness of the sexual theme is that it highlights a feature of catharsis that does not appear to have been noticed in literature on psycho-therapy that I have read. Catharsis reverses values !

Catharsis originates from the repression of ‘immorality’. Repression has the function of removing from awareness unsuitable desires and attitudes and the memories of unpleasant events, and also of inhibiting the anxiety associated with those events, desires and attitudes. The anxiety indicates that an unsolved problem has been buried within the subconscious mind. The anxiety indicates that the unsolved problem is creating a little bit of determinism. [¹]

Sub-headings
Immoral compulsions
Morality & ethics
Sexual abuse of children
Suggestion
Examples
References

When we have an insight into the cause of a psychological problem, then we find that the problem no longer needs to be repressed ; the reason for this is that the insight allows some or all of the underlying anxiety to be released. The joy that the person feels arises because we are releasing the anxiety (though the person does not usually know that he / she is releasing anxiety). This release is a main function of a psycho-analysis.

When the repression is dissolved by an insight into the cause of the problem, the stored-up anxiety bubbles up into consciousness, producing the excitement of the catharsis. In the past, usually as a child, the person had stigmatised the event or desire as being immoral and undesirable. Therefore when the catharsis begins its course its content is this immoral event or desire. The event may be an objective one, or a subjective experience (as, for example, in the child’s interpretation of its relationship to its mother). Because of the excitement, the memory is no longer stigmatised. Now the peculiarity of catharsis is felt:

There is a reversal of values :

it becomes fun to phantasise on the immoral, on the forbidden ; immorality is felt to be exciting. "

colkai
02-15-2006, 02:16 AM
Ahh I loved that show..
It's what got me into 3D.
I'm seriously looking at getting the whole thing on DVD, gonna cost me summat like £130 (uk), but i'm sorely tempted. :)

colkai
02-15-2006, 02:18 AM

Oh boy - did I ever take your advice on that! :p ;)

Bytehawk
02-15-2006, 02:34 AM
It's what got me into 3D.
I'm seriously looking at getting the whole thing on DVD, gonna cost me summat like £130 (uk), but i'm sorely tempted. :)

I can tell you, I sure didn't regret it - if only for the enjoyment of seeing the pioneers of full on CG in television. The storys are better than the usual dribble we see today.

colkai
02-15-2006, 02:45 AM
Well, I've just done it - and the beauty is, from www.choicesdirect.com they were only 17.99 per season - a bargain that could not be denied! :D

Gonna have to stop now though, my poor ole CC has had this, a 40 quid SPV model and a guitar on it all in the last month EEK! Ahh well, a guys gotta have his toys. :p

Plakkie
02-15-2006, 03:06 AM
Hey, what show are you talking about?

Furthermore: it's a shame you are starting a new post: the old thread is nearing page 50! Don't leave the "Hmmmm 14th already"-thread in the cold and post you're replies now!

Personally, I think that if you make such big announcements about any release, you have to try to deliver in time, or else keep everyone informed about the why and how of the delay.

That I'm a bit sour that some ppl got their toy first is just a boys thing, only human. :) We can wait here in Europe, we're used to getting things after the release somewhere else. Our own fault, we should make these great programs ourselves! And hey, this wouldbe-release has introduced me to this forum, which shows me that there are so many excited people waiting for Lightwave... I'm very proud to own it too.

colkai
02-15-2006, 03:24 AM
Hey, what show are you talking about?
Babylon 5 - probably the one show responsible for more people "of a certain age" getting into 3D than anything else. ;)

I was very fortunate eonugh to be the one to do the logos for the Compuserve B5 forums at their request. I'll always be proud of the fact that JMS thought my logo was totally cool. :D

EmperorPete
02-15-2006, 03:36 AM
Babylon 5 - probably the one show responsible for more people "of a certain age" getting into 3D than anything else. ;)
Definitely. I LOVED that show. I remember reading in an old Amiga magazine back in the day, about how the FX were done using Lightwave, and that was it. Of course, GETTING LW back then was impossible without a Toaster, and I couldn't afford LightRave, so I ended up using a coverdisc version of Imagine (shudder) until LW was unbundled (and I could afford it...!)

I was very fortunate eonugh to be the one to do the logos for the Compuserve B5 forums at their request. I'll always be proud of the fact that JMS thought my logo was totally cool. :D
NICE! Kudos to you sir! :thumbsup:

Plakkie
02-15-2006, 03:44 AM
so I ended up using a coverdisc version of Imagine (shudder) until LW was unbundled (and I could afford it...!)

Yeez! Imagine! I had that coverdisc too!! Those were the days... I rember working for hours on a crude scene, than in the evening turning the rendering on, and coming back in the morning expecting you're rendered picture but only seeing a window with the text: "No lights, continue?"

colkai
02-15-2006, 03:46 AM
Of course, GETTING LW back then was impossible without a Toaster, and I couldn't afford LightRave, so I ended up using a coverdisc version of Imagine (shudder) until LW was unbundled (and I could afford it...!)
SNAP!
Me too, I even bought Imagine 4.0 - just 2 months before PCFormat gave it away free - hah!
I must admit, I would have gone for the "windows" version if I could of afforded it at the time. Imagine was fiddly, but had a lot of power for it's day.

Plakkie
02-15-2006, 03:48 AM
Babylon 5, yeah, was blown away by the effects the first time as well. But it was StarTrek (I confess!) that first introduced me to the name "Lightwave".
Today I look at Baby 5 and I still see good in it, although nowadays we would relax on the lensflares a bit... :D
And here I am, today, and my first 'official' project in LW is again in space! My very first picture with LW was a unsmoothed (joy when I discovered that button) grey ball floating agains a black background.

bluerider
02-15-2006, 03:50 AM
I doubt Ben's let anyone down, even remotely. If NTE didn't get the LW9 beta until after office hours in Europe, there's not a great deal you can do about that.

I can just imagine the emails going back and forward now....

As ever, they're doing the best they can. You know how renders always seem to slow down for the last hundred or so frames...

Lol.....how did you intercept Bens Email :D

Bog
I think the number of people who went the AF Imagine Coverdisk > LightWave route inspired by Babylon 5 would easily pass the census required minimum number for starting a formal religion.

Which might have tax benefits! Let's do that!

colkai
One of my first images in LW was cobbled together from the content CD. My first "proper" picture was of my house, but i made the mistake of modelling everything in the way I did with Povray, so everything was booleaned primitives. :p
Sorely tempted to go back and redo it. :)

colkai
02-15-2006, 03:51 AM
I think the number of people who went the AF Imagine Coverdisk > LightWave route inspired by Babylon 5 would easily pass the census required minimum number for starting a formal religion.

Which might have tax benefits! Let's do that!

All hail the Mighty BabyWave :D

Thou shalt not have any god before Kosh
Thou shalt not commit Shadowyness
Covet not thy neighbours mind :p

Bog
02-15-2006, 03:53 AM
Then the willows must scuttle carefully.

*glides off, inscrutably*

lardbros
02-15-2006, 03:55 AM
Yeez! Imagine! I had that coverdisc too!! Those were the days... I rember working for hours on a crude scene, than in the evening turning the rendering on, and coming back in the morning expecting you're rendered picture but only seeing a window with the text: "No lights, continue?"

SNAP.... same here!! Those were the days, when texturing a skeleton head with wormy textures and a green light was SOOOO 2010 :D

I was amazed by the dynamics in Imagine 4.0 though, they were pretty darn good... i exploded many a teapot.

colkai
02-15-2006, 03:56 AM
ROTFL..
The avalanche has already started, it is too late for the pebbles to vote. :)

Bog
02-15-2006, 03:59 AM
If you go to Za'Ha'Dum... bring pie.

colkai
02-15-2006, 04:00 AM
Well, it was summat like that anyway. The line made famous by a certain rock band too.
"I want pie, chips, and peas" - or summat :p

Plakkie
02-15-2006, 04:02 AM
SNAP.... same here!! Those were the days, when texturing a skeleton head with wormy textures and a green light was SOOOO 2010 :D

I was amazed by the dynamics in Imagine 4.0 though, they were pretty darn good... i exploded many a teapot.

Lol, that exploding technique was indeed quite good, and produced nice results. I remember Imagine came with a Cow-object and I made it go boom on screen before my friends. Man, was I popular then! :D

Skonk
02-15-2006, 04:03 AM
Lol. Imagine 4.0 (pc format cover disc) was the thing that got me into 3d also :)

colkai
02-15-2006, 04:04 AM
Ok, this is getting scary. :p
So how many of you also used the PCF Povray coverdisk on a 286 with no math capability and thought 3D was forever out of your reach? ;)

Bog
02-15-2006, 04:06 AM
Who remembers Turbo Silver on an unexpanded A500? ;)

colkai
02-15-2006, 04:07 AM
Ahh, now that's beyond me :) LW4.0 was my first glimpse, it makes much more sense looking at it now. And came on 2 floppy disks! (which I still ahve :p)

BeeVee
02-15-2006, 04:07 AM
Hey guess what guys?

B

Plakkie
02-15-2006, 04:10 AM
I think my older brother did, I was to young then. You had to program many lines and then a picure started to emerge pixel by pixel... I thought it was rather dull until I got the PCFormat coverdisc.
This is pretty cool that so many other ppl started with Imagine. I rember I tried to make the cow render in glass, but I had to stop because it took too long to render... And look now: I render glass cows and teapots everyday, and I'm happy doing it. :)
If you want to start a Babymaginewave religion, than we have to protest against cartoons made with other 3D-software... Do we have to burn Alias-flags then?

Plakkie
02-15-2006, 04:10 AM
The Site Has Changed!!! Look At Newtekeurope.com!!!!

kevinmcpoland
02-15-2006, 04:11 AM
Colkai...what are you thinking! How will you balance LW beta against the draw that is Babylon 5? I have the entire series on DVD, and the replay value is great (much like Firefly to me).

Just to complete the collection I am even thinking of getting the Crusade series, but apart from the mysterious Techno-mages (the actor who recently appeared in SG Atlantis in the UK showing), it really didn't grab me as much...

Anyone see anything in Crusade I didn't?

Kev McP

tkinga
02-15-2006, 04:19 AM
I hope I can soon put away my copy of XSI foundation,
LW v8.5 just kept crashing on me so often that I was unable to use it.
V9 better stand up... Or I'll cry foul...

Hmmm... 40 minutes to go, Do I believe it will happen ????

Later...

lardbros
02-15-2006, 04:19 AM
I think Macromedia Extreme 3d was my weapon of choice before Imagine 4.0 appeared on PC Format. Oh, the days of waiting for an hour for my wasp model to load, and then trying to move a segment of limb would take 5 minutes to refresh the screen... in wireframe mode!! :D

I'm amazed i bothered, i don't have the patience now, that i had back then!

Anyway, well done for Newtek Europe getting their servers in order. My download speed is stonking!

kevinmcpoland
02-15-2006, 04:22 AM
Okay, Quick, it's downloading...I need help!

It says register the LW9 serial number, but that's obviously not the LW9 Beta serial number because it's too long...

Then it want's the product unlock key....is that from my current LW or the one I will get after loading LW9 Beta (but it isn;t from the serial number I just put in....am I making sense...? Has anyone done it yet?)

Kev McP

Plakkie
02-15-2006, 04:24 AM
Yeah, I don't quite understand it myself....

tkinga
02-15-2006, 04:29 AM
Just enter you Vue/LW code, it's in the LW case under one of the CDs, it's a 10 digit number. You will then get a LW9 temp code...

Wooo hooo
It's here..
Lets hope I never look back....

BeeVee
02-15-2006, 04:36 AM
Hi guys,

I think we have been pretty clear on the registration page? Make sure you thoroughly read the text under the box in which you enter your serial number and bear in mind that it's a 10-digit serial number we want, not a 16-digit license.key number or anything else.

HTHB

Plakkie
02-15-2006, 04:47 AM
Well, when I went to the Newtek.com site it wouldn't except my 10 digit pre-9 code... Do people from Europe have to do it through NewtekEurope.com?

colkai
02-15-2006, 04:53 AM
Well, when I went to the Newtek.com site it wouldn't except my 10 digit pre-9 code... Do people from Europe have to do it through NewtekEurope.com?
In a word - yes :)

Plakkie
02-15-2006, 04:55 AM
Well, then I will wait for the email to arrive and relaxe in the meantime. Thanks for all the support everyone! See you around :)

colkai
02-15-2006, 05:06 AM
See you on the Beta forums when they arrive :)

T-Light
02-15-2006, 05:07 AM
Hi BeeVee.

Registered (or thought I registered last night), but the beta page says the serial isn't registered yet. Am I waiting on a permanent license key by email and if so (all things considered) how long is the backlog?

kennez
02-15-2006, 05:10 AM
Why don't I see anything other than the page that was up yesterday, stating that it would be available on the 15th? I've tried clearing the cache, and deleting history, but I still only see the message from yesterday. I'm running Safari on ISX 10.4.4

JohnMarchant
02-15-2006, 05:14 AM
We i have re-registered again. I hope i will recieve the email telling me where to download LW9 Beta.

Then i can get a permanent license. :):):)

colkai
02-15-2006, 05:44 AM
Why don't I see anything other than the page that was up yesterday, stating that it would be available on the 15th? I've tried clearing the cache, and deleting history, but I still only see the message from yesterday. I'm running Safari on ISX 10.4.4
Have you tried a F5 / Ctrl+R refesh?
It's definitely up there.
http://www.newtek-europe.com/uk/products/lightwave/lw9openbeta/index.html

Qexit
02-15-2006, 06:00 AM
Well, I've just done it - and the beauty is, from www.choicesdirect.com they were only 17.99 per season - a bargain that could not be denied! :D

Gonna have to stop now though, my poor ole CC has had this, a 40 quid SPV model and a guitar on it all in the last month EEK! Ahh well, a guys gotta have his toys. :p
Did somebody mention 'toys' ? :D Thanks to a little windfall in January, my collection of 'Toys' has expanded a bit.....again. My Dr Who DVD collection is nearly complete, I have the Australian Tin Box 'Serenity' Special Edition and I have a piece of original, one-of-a-kind Ray Harryhausen memorabilia alongside the stuff I have that is only rare :)

Was something else of interest being discussed on here ? Some obscure software application or something ? I forget :p

TSpyrison
02-15-2006, 06:41 AM

Hey.. Are you saying we are old?? :D

Ahh, I remember compuserve.. and 300 baud modems...

colkai
02-15-2006, 06:56 AM
hehe, when "going on the web" meant dialling your favourite bulletin board and logging on the "old fashioned" way :)
Anyone remember the "Sound And Vision" BBS?

Bytehawk
02-15-2006, 07:41 AM
ohhhh the good ole days