PDA

View Full Version : Importing .psd with layer!

multipasser
02-14-2006, 08:36 AM
Hey

I'm doing a 2.5D animation with pictures I cut up in layers.
So lets say I have a .psd with 10 layers.
How can I import that .psd into lw so I can choose any of the 10 layers as a texture?

I cant find a way of importing a psd as layers. It imports it only 'flattenend'.
Or is this not possible with lw and do I have to save all the layers as seperate files?

Maybe a LW9 feature request :)

Lightwolf
02-14-2006, 09:08 AM
Or is this not possible with lw and do I have to save all the layers as seperate files?
You'll have to save them as separate files.

Relax though, a couple of years ago we worked on a short film that included a couple hundred PS files with 100 layers each ;)

Cheers,
Mike

multipasser
02-14-2006, 09:37 AM
You'll have to save them as separate files.

Relax though, a couple of years ago we worked on a short film that included a couple hundred PS files with 100 layers each ;)

Cheers,
Mike

Yeah. But It shouldnt be THAT hard to make right? Even a stupid plugin would fix that! Common newtek.

Lightwolf
02-14-2006, 09:44 AM
Yeah. But It shouldnt be THAT hard to make right? Even a stupid plugin would fix that! Common newtek.
Erm.. actually it is quite hard... The SDK isn't made up for that kind of operation. LW only expects to get one image if it loads one image.

There is also the question of what happens if the PS file changes, since LW is not likely to be able to track thoose changes.

Then again, I've also wondered why PS never had a decent layer->single frame export, that shouldn't be THAT hard to make right either ;) (this might have changed since CS though).

Cheers,
Mike

Lightwolf
02-14-2006, 09:53 AM
You could easily make an action in photoshop that would save each layer out to a new file.
Not with PS 6.01 ;) I think scripting support has improved a lot in the newer version though...

Cheers,
Mike

P.S. Yes, and way back then I even had a look at the SDK (PS 5 it was)... but I found it to be quite convoluted for that kind of application.

faulknermano
02-16-2006, 12:50 AM
this is a feature request almost everybody would like to have, i think. at the moment, i'm happy enough to be able to use psd as textures in the first place. but it'd be easier to centralise changes on one layered file, and the ability to choose which layer to serve as any current texture would be awesome.

is there a layered image format that's more "open-source" or friendly, that may not be as subject to change as the psd file format? maybe layered TIF? if so, that could be the better format to invest development time on.

Lightwolf
02-16-2006, 12:54 AM
is there a layered image format that's more "open-source" or friendly, that may not be as subject to change as the psd file format? maybe layered TIF? if so, that could be the better format to invest development time on.
openEXR :D

Cheers,
Mike

multipasser
02-16-2006, 07:45 AM
euh. PS has a standard function 'Save All Layers as images'.
Its in the File/Script. Dunno if its already in 6.0 or 7.0!

But still a psd is nicer since it bundles all the files.

Lightwolf
02-16-2006, 07:49 AM
euh. PS has a standard function 'Save All Layers as images'.
Its in the File/Script. Dunno if its already in 6.0 or 7.0!

7.0 it must be... Hey, hat might actually be a reason to upgrade... Does it create correct alpha channels per layer?

Cheers,
Mike

multipasser
02-16-2006, 02:37 PM
7.0 it must be... Hey, hat might actually be a reason to upgrade... Does it create correct alpha channels per layer?

Cheers,
Mike

CS2 does!
dunno about the others!