PDA

View Full Version : Taking the plunge

crazy frog
02-13-2006, 11:29 PM
Well, after my Trinity switcher froze three times in one class period....

And after having to reset the thing constantly to get rid of wierd scanlines....

And after Globecaster tech support was as intelligent with their helpline as a monkey doing a math problem....

I finally decided to start shopping around and start the process of setting up a purchase order for a Tricaster (with the handy dandy VM unit because I miss pushing buttons, gosh darn it!) for my school's television program.

Any suggestions as I dive into this brave new world?

BeeVee
02-14-2006, 02:18 AM
Have fun? I know I did... :)

B

Paul Lara
02-14-2006, 05:06 AM
You've come to the right place!
This is a vibrant community that is willing to help at every turn.
I guess the first thing you could do whilst awaiting delivery would be to download the User Manual at ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub/Tricaster/

(I'd give you the direct link to the PDF, but our FTP site seems to be down at the moment)

Tarheel Cougar
02-14-2006, 07:19 AM
Well, after my Trinity switcher froze three times in one class period....

And after having to reset the thing constantly to get rid of wierd scanlines....

And after Globecaster tech support was as intelligent with their helpline as a monkey doing a math problem....

I finally decided to start shopping around and start the process of setting up a purchase order for a Tricaster (with the handy dandy VM unit because I miss pushing buttons, gosh darn it!) for my school's television program.

Any suggestions as I dive into this brave new world?

Depending on what you do in your class, my suggestion is to look at the VT4 if you have the budget. I think the Tricaster is great, rock solid, especially for taking it out into the field with high school students. For morning announcements on closed-circuit TV, its more than adequate, especially if you create your own custom graphics templates. But if you want the frills of a really full-fledged system (that will really put that Globecaster to shame), don't count out the VT4. Both of them have external hard switchers available. (VM/SX8)

If budget is an issue, I've seen people go with touch-screens for the Tricaster (rather than the VM). No personal knowledge about that but it looks like it may be an alternative.

Good luck!
Jared

crazy frog
02-14-2006, 08:21 PM
Well, delivery isnt assured yet. I have to go thru my department head first.

As for a VT 4... i cant afford all the hardware that I would need to get a good system going. I am darn lucky that I was offered the shot at 6 grand for the Tricaster.

I am excited about the Tricaster. The idea of Virtual VCRs really catches my eye.

If I do get a Tricaster, how much will I have to upgrade it with updates? I saw another post about problems burning to DVD, and thats what we do. We pre-record our Morning Announcements onto a DVD Recorder/Hard Drive recorder. Will that give us problems?

(BTW, that link for the manual didnt work. Where else can I get it?)
(edit: Nevermind - it was a Firefox problem. I am getting it now... I think...my IE is being slow.)

John Perkins
02-14-2006, 09:02 PM
You shouldn't need anything but a monitor and maybe the VM, it's a stand-alone box.

The ones you see doing updates have had them for a while. Eventually we will have another update, but the ones shipping right now have the updates preinstalled.

An external stand-alone DVD burner will work great. It's just like a VCR, output from TriCaster into the recorder.

I hope you enjoy your new toy! Um, I mean production tool... :)

crazy frog
02-14-2006, 09:50 PM
I noticed while I was reading through the manual that if things go south on the Tricaster and you need to reinstall the software, you have to contact the dealer. Does the Tricaster not come with an option to order a backup copy of the operating software?

John Perkins
02-14-2006, 10:25 PM
No, it's really not sold as a computer. If you don't install things on it, it should continue to run properly. That's where 95% of Windows problems come from.

We do have an easy admin feature for day to day operations to keep it running smoothly though. Things like removing old video clips, defragmenting the video drive, reseting the configuration, etc.