PDA

View Full Version : Keyframing and Viewing Speed? Help!

DHudson
02-13-2006, 04:56 PM
Hello- Newbie here (yet again!)

I am having trouble with the timing of the Quicktime movie I am rendering through Lightwave. And really, it doesn't have to be a quicktime movie, I just need to open it eventually with Flash.

Anyway, after waiting 5 hours for my scene to render, it zips by so quickly, like it's on ultra fast speed. I originally tried the scene with 300 frames, but it went just as quickly then. So I upped the frames to 1000 and still, I blink and the scene is over.

I have 40 keyframes on 1000 frames (I guess that is how you say it - see photo below).

Under Render Options, I have selected:
Animation, Type: Quicktime (mov.).
Under Camera Options I chose:
Compression Type: Animation.
Motion: 30 frames per second
1 key frame every 1 frame

Please tell me what I am doing wrong. Any help is VERY appreciated.

Thank you!

Silkrooster
02-13-2006, 07:53 PM
Hello- Newbie here (yet again!)

I am having trouble with the timing of the Quicktime movie I am rendering through Lightwave. And really, it doesn't have to be a quicktime movie, I just need to open it eventually with Flash.

Anyway, after waiting 5 hours for my scene to render, it zips by so quickly, like it's on ultra fast speed. I originally tried the scene with 300 frames, but it went just as quickly then. So I upped the frames to 1000 and still, I blink and the scene is over.

I have 40 keyframes on 1000 frames (I guess that is how you say it - see photo below).

Under Render Options, I have selected:
Animation, Type: Quicktime (mov.).
Under Camera Options I chose:
Compression Type: Animation.
Motion: 30 frames per second
1 key frame every 1 frame

Please tell me what I am doing wrong. Any help is VERY appreciated.

Thank you!

1000 frames is roughly 33 to 34 seconds of animation. In the field box at the end of the timeline, where you type in 1000 frames. You can enter in math equations to get the right time frame you want. For example if you are rendering at 30 frames per second you can enter 30 frames x 60 seconds x 60 minutes x 24 hours x 31 days, etc. Therefore an animation for 5 minutes would be 30*60*5 and the field would be updated with 9000 frames.

BTW, when exporting a mov file, you don't need to have 1 keyframe per frame unless there is a lot of animation. Odds are you can get away with 1 keyframe per 15 frames. Changing this will effect the file size. This will also depend on your output, for internet a dvd, ect.
Silk

DHudson
02-13-2006, 09:32 PM
Thank you for the help, Silkrooster - much appreciated!

This project's output will be the internet.

Please check me to see if I got you correctly ... for a 1 minute movie, with 30 frames per second I would enter 30*60*1, or just type in 1800.

I have it at 1000 frames right now and the Quicktime movie plays SOOOOO fast, it feels like you are on a roller coaster ride.

I feel like I am missing something here. Is there a tutorial somewhere that could clue me in?

loki74
02-13-2006, 09:54 PM
you know, if youre exporting to Flash, it may be an option to render out a frame sequence. that way you have x number of frames and you can set the fps in Flash, to get it to go just the speed you want.

theres probably some big downside to this... might not play as smoothly at high framerates. I dunno.

Silkrooster
02-14-2006, 03:05 PM
Would it be possible that the frames per second is not set at 30 in lightwave? To check press lowercase "o" without quotes and find frames per seconds.

Multiplying by 1 is not required as anything multiplied by 1 is itself. So 1 minute is 30*60. As you can see in the general options you can change the timeline from frames to time in seconds by clicking on the frame slider label. Which may help until you get use to frames per second.

It is always a good idea to render to a sequence, this can then be reimported into lightwave at anytime to be exported as a avi or mov file.
Camtasia is one such program that can take a sequence and export a flash file.
Silk

DHudson
02-14-2006, 03:18 PM
Thanks for the input, guys. Very appreciated.

My frames per second is set at 30 in lightwave. I changed the timeline from frames to time in seconds as you suggested, Silk. Maybe that will help.

I have the camera flying around the two rooms still. Maybe it's my timing. Am I expecting too much to happen in too short of a time?

I'll keep playing with it until I get it right.

Thanks again for the help guys, I wouldn't be where I am now in this program without it.

Silkrooster
02-14-2006, 03:57 PM
That will depend on the size of the room. If this was an actual room, do you think you could walk from one end of the room to the other in 30 seconds?
Silk

DHudson
02-14-2006, 08:24 PM
Good question, I have a feeling the answer is no. :)