PDA

View Full Version : 5 connection limitation in xp

bgraves44
02-13-2006, 03:48 PM
5 connection limitation in xp

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm am a realitive newbie to Lightwave (been dorking around with a "discovery" edition for a couple of years but finally got the real deal for X-mas - Yeaaah!!).

I've finally got SN figured out and was excited to start expanding the farm. Until I hit 6 machines... I get the "there are as many connections as this computer can accept.." thing. Dammit! Does anyone know how to circumvent the 5 connection limit in XP Home. I would prefer not to buy XP Pro (I eventually want more than 10 machines) or Win Server, if possible, and am hesitant to invest the time into learning how to do it in Linux... is there an easy, cheap way to set up a file server to put content/config/program files on that all computers could access without the limitations?

I've got SN running using the "mapped drive" scenario right now and it works great. I've also had it set up using unc names but had the same problem in both instances.

I would eventually like to expand to 20 or 30 racked boards and remotely admin. them. I'm using VNC now (after paying for a similar but inferior program already - research first dummy!) and am familiar with remote admin. and basic networking in general.

I would appreciate any feedback

B Graves

BTW. I notice that I can run 10 rendercows (I've actually gotten 8 machines to work together consistently) in Vue Infite with few problems (it does seem to "drop" the extra nodes after rendering but they all come up up when you re-initialize...). Is there a fundamental difference in the way it addresses the network? Hmmm?

MiniFireDragon
02-13-2006, 04:18 PM
Newer version of windows will only allow 5 connections before you need to add CALS and only Servers allow CALS. I believe Windows 2000 will allow 15.

jasonazure
02-14-2006, 03:15 AM
I set up one of my old PC's as a LINUX file server using SAMBA after passing the XP PRO limit of 10 PC's recently.

It's not really that difficult, just get a good book on it.

All I had to spend out on was a large harddrive for it (and the book !).

If your interested the book I have is the "Red Hat Linux 8 Bible" published by WILEY - ISBN 0-7645-4968-5

Red_Oddity
02-14-2006, 03:43 AM
Download a hacked tcpip.sys (http://www.lvllord.de/?lang=en&url=tools&PHPSESSID=dd7c3588da203be09a65ad67730536ad&PHPSESSID=dd7c3588da203be09a65ad67730536ad) from some place, they often allow 50 or more connections, or do it your self using the instructions below.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=105977

Red_Oddity
02-14-2006, 03:44 AM
note: i'm sure this is completely illegal according to MS, so if Newtek feels i'm breaking some serious forum rules here and removes the post, try to PM or email me.