View Full Version : Perilous Journey

LW_jackn
02-13-2006, 02:30 PM
Between a rock and a hard place...

;)

EDIT: Moved image from URL to Attachment

starbase1
02-14-2006, 03:13 AM
Oooh! Very nice! I like the rock textures, great sense of murcky depths too.

Whats that "^" shaped thing on the front of the sub?

Nick

Tzan
02-14-2006, 08:36 AM
When you run out of torpedoes and you still feel like sinking a ship you ram it! That bit cuts into the ships hull.

iconoclasty
02-14-2006, 08:58 AM
Excellent mood to this piece. I can feel the slow tension of moving between the mines.

colkai
02-14-2006, 09:08 AM
Very nice Jack,
It actually makes me feel tense looking at it, waiting for the scrraape - Kaboom! :)
Great atmosphere.

nthused
02-14-2006, 11:56 AM
As a former submariner...brings back...fond(?) memories. Great work and mood.

red_eyes23
02-14-2006, 03:16 PM
Really good job.

Sculley
02-14-2006, 05:36 PM
Gr8 look.. really nice.. But i think the thing on front is for cutting ropes / nets.. ramming a ship in a sub is pretty much suicide :P

colkai
02-15-2006, 02:17 AM
Gr8 look.. really nice.. But i think the thing on front is for cutting ropes / nets.. ramming a ship in a sub is pretty much suicide :P
Yeah, that was my take on it too.

Tzan
02-15-2006, 08:12 AM
Well I didnt say it was a good career move :)

Ropes sounds good though.

LW_jackn
02-15-2006, 10:05 AM
For the record... reference for building the contact mine models was tough to find... I winged it for those.

I believe there was several purposes for the rip saw up front...

Cutting/punching thin ice, served as a mast connection for wireless from the conning tower, as well as a few other things I've heard.

I'm no expert, so it's all up for grabs on my end... ;)

spec24
02-15-2006, 10:53 AM
For the record... reference for building the contact mine models was tough to find... I winged it for those.

I believe there was several purposes for the rip saw up front...

Cutting/punching thin ice, served as a mast connection for wireless from the conning tower, as well as a few other things I've heard.

I'm no expert, so it's all up for grabs on my end... ;)

that was in fact a net cutter and is a left over from the subs of WWI. Generally these were removed not too long into the war (WWII).

Starlost
02-15-2006, 01:40 PM
Now that's cool. Glad to see I was'nt the only one that made an underwater with old mines pic.. I like the sub quite alot, I'm still not able to make a sub look that nice. But I came up with a vehicle ( possibly robotic ) that would remove the mines.. here's what I came up with..

Tzan
02-15-2006, 02:15 PM
Yup a net cutter. I poked around google for a bit :)

Although I did find several reports of subs ramming things.
A US sub rammed a Japan trawler, not cutter involved. Then the sub crew threw molotovs on the deck.
http://www.skylighters.org/potd2004/040204.html

A Finnish sub rammed a Soviet sub in 1942 with a net cutter.
http://users.tkk.fi/~jaromaa/Navygallery/Submarines/submarines-cont.htm

see the date 5.11.1942 a little more than halfway down the page.

oh yeah.... nice render! :)

LW_jackn
02-22-2006, 09:46 PM
Thanks everyone... ;)

I learned a lot from this one...

oDDity
03-01-2006, 01:15 PM
It's a geat render, very realistic and moody. My only crit would be the mines are a little too clean and shiny, you don't get a proper sense of their scale.

ACLOBO
03-02-2006, 06:11 PM
Uboats and other submersible surface ships of that era were not very tough.. First off, they were not true submarines. They were surface ships with the ability to submerge and stay under for a while, but not extended periods of days and months like modern submarines. The were also quite fragile and would only engage merchant ships on the surface, but later their deck guns were removed (by germans) to deter u-boat captains from engaging on the surface.

Yes, that serrated front edge is DEFINITELY NOT FOR RAMMING. I think you must be a fan of 20,000 leagues under the sea. As far as ramming goes, DESTROYERS and other surface ships would sometimes ram a uboat caught on the surface and quickly send it to the bottom. It is a matter of mass and uboats and their US counterparts did not have the mass.

I like the render, but that boat would be toast if that close to those mines. Those submerged mines usually had magnetic triggers. The proximity of that boat to them would cause them all to blow. Still, the render is pretty nice.

-Adrian

LW_jackn
03-03-2006, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the crits!

Some of it does come down to creative license...

:)