PDA

View Full Version : Using AVI's as image maps - Argh!!

starbase1
02-13-2006, 01:50 PM
Hi All,
I am getting some very odd errors using AVI's as image maps.

For example, some of them won't animate. Others skip sections. In the weirdest case of all, I ran out 2 versions of the same AVI, changing one surface colour, every other parameter identical.

One runs fine, the other runs through once, stalls for a few seconds, then restarts! I used the Microsoft Video 1 codec for both.

Is there a reliable way to use AVI's on surfaces?

(I am using Version 8.5 on Windows XP).

Nick

bgraves44
02-13-2006, 02:19 PM
Image sequences seem to run alot smoother for me. I'm sure there's a program the could "decompile" the avi into bmp's or something if you couldn't re-render. I think you might even be able to do that with image editor in Layout...

B

starbase1
02-13-2006, 03:52 PM
I don't think I'd trust LW to decompile an animation it could not read reliably!

It's the inconsistency that really gets up my nose...

Nick

Wonderpup
02-13-2006, 04:07 PM
I had problems with AVIs where the frame rate was different- say a 30fps avi playing in 25fps scene, so it may be worth checking this.

I got around it by loading the avi into premiere and rendering out a sequence at 25 fps.

starbase1
02-13-2006, 04:36 PM
Ah, now that sounds like it might fix some of the problems.

Incidently I found a tiny free program called AVIFRATE which lets you change the FPS value in an AVI file directly. Obviously it changes the spapparent speed too, but its a very handy little tool.

(Google should find it I think...)

Nick

TheDAve
02-14-2006, 04:39 AM
Nick

If you want to convert avi's to image sequence's, mess about with frame rates, infact do pretty much anything with an avi go and get VirtualDub (http://www.virtualdub.com) or one of its mods.

It's free and probably the best little tool for messing about with AVI's (IMHO)

DAve

starbase1
02-14-2006, 05:26 AM
Ahoy The Dave!

I took a quick look before, and got the impression that it is powerful, but a bit of a pig to use...

How do you find it usability wise?
Nick

TheDAve
02-14-2006, 10:40 AM
TBH I find it really easy to use.

I'm always finding its just the tool I need for simple conversions, resize, audio extraction/addition etc.

It also has a frame buffer (which can be very handy) and numerious filters which (apart from resize) I have to confess I've never needed to use.

DAve

Matt
02-14-2006, 12:13 PM
Definately use Image Sequences, I had a nightmare trying to get a movie file to be a 'screen texture' one until LightWolf pointed them out to me. Image sequences were MUCH faster and stable.

Lightwolf
02-14-2006, 12:52 PM
Image sequences were MUCH faster and stable.
The main reason to use image sequences instead of avi/quicktime files is that most of the new codecs compress across a sequenceof frames.
LW needs to retrieve a single frame from the animation files, which can lead to more than one file having to be decompressed.
There is also the fact that across a network multiple nodes need to read from the same file, which makes access more sluggish than multiple nodes reading a single file each.

Virtualdub is really quick for converting, you can use LW as well (load the movie and apply it as the background of an empty scene, change the resolution to be the same as the movie, turn off AA and render away).

Cheers,
Mike

starbase1
02-14-2006, 01:59 PM
OK guys, thanks, I'll make the switch to images! (And give Virtual Dub a go)
Nick