PDA

View Full Version : 5 connection limitation in xp

bgraves44
02-13-2006, 01:44 PM
I'm am a realitive newbie to Lightwave (been dorking around with a "discovery" ;) edition for a couple of years but finally got the real deal for X-mas - Yeaaah!!).

I've finally got SN figured out and was excited to start expanding the farm. Until I hit 6 machines... I get the "there are as many connections as this computer can accept.." thing. Dammit! Does anyone know how to circumvent the 5 connection limit in XP Home. I would prefer not to buy XP Pro (I eventually want more than 10 machines) or Win Server, if possible, and am hesitant to invest the time into learning how to do it in Linux... is there an easy, cheap way to set up a file server to put content/config/program files on that all computers could access without the limitations?

I've got SN running using the "mapped drive" scenario right now and it works great. I've also had it set up using unc names but had the same problem in both instances.

I would eventually like to expand to 20 or 30 racked boards and remotely admin. them. I'm using VNC now (after paying for a similar but inferior program already - research first dummy!) and am familiar with remote admin. and basic networking in general.

I would appreciate any feedback

B Graves

BTW. I notice that I can run 10 rendercows (I've actually gotten 8 machines to work together consistently) in Vue Infite with few problems (it does seem to "drop" the extra nodes after rendering but they all come up up when you re-initialize...). Is there a fundamental difference in the way it addresses the network? Hmmm?

andreabix
02-27-2006, 06:17 AM
I'm not aware of way to circumvent the Xp Home connection limits. You may want to check Win XP pro with it's 10 connections limit, but if you do not want further costs, try to setup a Linux server where store all the scenes, objects and related files. This could lead to less open files in your Screamernet control workstation. A Linux server in a windoze workstations environment is what we are currently running here.

You may also want to setup your screamernet to find command files, plugins and executable from the linux server, it is a matter of patience dealing with picky configuration files and tests, but it can works.

pixelinfected
02-27-2006, 11:33 AM
your next step probably are :
- buy xp pro or a lan drive, to share on your lan and avoid problem of that, you can search like iomega or lacie, where you can find an external drive that can be connected like lan drive, and you solve all your problem, also a 300gb space for lw and content.

happy screamernet and welcome in the world of LightWave3D

Riplakish
03-06-2006, 08:23 PM
I'm am a realitive newbie to Lightwave (been dorking around with a "discovery" ;) edition for a couple of years but finally got the real deal for X-mas - Yeaaah!!).

I've finally got SN figured out and was excited to start expanding the farm. Until I hit 6 machines... I get the "there are as many connections as this computer can accept.." thing. Dammit! Does anyone know how to circumvent the 5 connection limit in XP Home. I would prefer not to buy XP Pro (I eventually want more than 10 machines) or Win Server, if possible, and am hesitant to invest the time into learning how to do it in Linux... is there an easy, cheap way to set up a file server to put content/config/program files on that all computers could access without the limitations?

I've got SN running using the "mapped drive" scenario right now and it works great. I've also had it set up using unc names but had the same problem in both instances.

I would eventually like to expand to 20 or 30 racked boards and remotely admin. them. I'm using VNC now (after paying for a similar but inferior program already - research first dummy!) and am familiar with remote admin. and basic networking in general.

I would appreciate any feedback

B Graves

BTW. I notice that I can run 10 rendercows (I've actually gotten 8 machines to work together consistently) in Vue Infite with few problems (it does seem to "drop" the extra nodes after rendering but they all come up up when you re-initialize...). Is there a fundamental difference in the way it addresses the network? Hmmm?

The best suggestion I can recommend in this case, on a bang-per-buck basis, is Linux or FreeBSD running Samba. No connection limit, typically better disk I/O.

If you then want to go to the next level, install Wine, and run LWSN.EXE natively using NFS on the render nodes. Improved memory management and network disk performance. IMHO, you also get better remote system administration.

lilrayray77
03-07-2006, 06:00 AM
just a question, why does XP limit the amount of connections? What good does that do anyone?

BeeVee
03-07-2006, 07:21 AM
It does Microsoft good, if you have to buy Pro to get 10 connections, then you decide you need more so you have to buy Server.. ;)

B

Riplakish
03-08-2006, 06:03 PM
It does Microsoft good, if you have to buy Pro to get 10 connections, then you decide you need more so you have to buy Server.. ;)

B

B-I-N-G-O.

One of the reasons I'm such an advocate of a *nix based render farm is that between the cost of the OS, anti-virus software, and misc. M$ expenses, you can usually buy an extra machine or two.

faulknermano
03-10-2006, 03:31 PM
i'm looking at linux myself. you can say i'm pretty much fed up with microsoft (not windows, per se) as well...

i read that there's no kernel differences between the server and the workstation versions of windows xp. simplified, it's more like some changes in the registry settings and some additional dlls or the like.

Dexter2999
03-10-2006, 06:40 PM
Has anyone here ever read of LWSN working on Linux under WINE?
Also I was curious if anyone has gotten network rendering to work on IP rather than by windows network. Does anyone else think that could bypass the node limit? If it treated the distributed rendering like it was using the internet?

bgraves44
03-10-2006, 07:46 PM
thanks, everyone for your suggestions. I'm currently trying out the LAN disk solution. I'll update with results (when I get back from sunning my pasty, white self in Destin).

bgraves44
03-28-2006, 03:20 PM
Well, I got the LAN Drives "working". It's a great concept, but unfortunatly, I don't think it's reliable enough with 9 computers reading and writing at the same time. The drives required drivers and managment software installed on each computer and the connections were dropped fairly frequently. It seemed somewhat slow as well. That said, I like the drives and think they would be great for a less throughput-intensive application. Maybe with a little more tweaking they would work out but if I had the time, I would probably just learn how to set up a Linix server.

I ended up just getting WinXP Pro. No hastle and I worked great right out of the box. My whole network seems to run smoother. I guess after more than 10 machines, the laws of diminishing returns probably kicks in anyway.

I know people love to hate Microsoft but the make some pretty good stuff for the non-IT guy (if you're will to prostrate yourself before the Gates altar). O well...

B Graves

pixelinfected
03-28-2006, 03:35 PM
our iomega lan drive work for 15 computer qithout problems, where we access with win and mac computer.
but you need the fast lan setup.

bgraves44
03-28-2006, 05:39 PM
Really? Do you run the LW and Modeler .exes from the lan drive or locally? I had copied my whole directory to the lan drive and changed my shortcut targets so that the whole operation was running off the lan. Maybe that was a problem. When it was working, it worked ok. I just kept getting occasional Windows Delay-write failure errors and a "recycle bin is corrupted - run ckdisk" messages on random computers on the net and that seemed to muck up the whole thing...

I may try to mess with it again one day (simply out of hard-headedness since I already tithed to the MS gods:))
Thanks Again

B

pixelinfected
03-29-2006, 12:33 AM
yes, we use one lw install on lan disk to avoid problem during net rendering.
actually during common work since 4 operator call at same times lw, but when we render with network rendering, we have 15 computer that load lw and content info from iomega disk. but we not found problems.
attention that we save rendering in another disk to avoid overflow of request.