PDA

View Full Version : Character animation

sudac20
02-13-2006, 11:39 AM
Ive noted that CA was mentioned in the fact sheet, or should I say noted that NT was aware it needs to address LWs character animation tools.

Does this mean that any new character animation tools will not be included in V9? I would love some more definitive information on the subject. Any clues what will be addressed and when? (In the interim I supposed I will be forced to purchase yet another application to do CA.)

Earl
02-13-2006, 11:54 AM
In their FAQ they stated that they wanted to get improved character animation done right. That means to me that they're putting a lot of thought and effort into design and implementation so that we aren't disappointed. That also leads me to believe that we shouldn't expect anything until LW10. Truthfully, I wouldn't want anything sooner because it would mean a rushed implementation. I want whatever improved character animation system they're gonna work on to reflect the innovation that Jay Roth talked so much about at SIGGRAPH. I don't want something that can be had in another application. I'd like something better.

hrgiger
02-13-2006, 11:55 AM
I get the impression from what Jay Roth wrote that there won't be a lot new in the realm of character animation in LW9, but that they have some things under wraps and in development. I would look for them during the LW9.x cycle as he mentioned that we wouldn't have to wait long....

Also, see the poll I just posted here in community....

hairy_llama
02-13-2006, 12:09 PM
Well, they have one option that should be good for character anim.
I know we have the quaternion booster right now which
works awesome but it sounds like they are making a new
quaternion rotation controller... I hope it works with IK
and they are not just bringing the already included quaternion booster to "light".

"A new rotation controller offers quaternion rotations to minimize gimbal lock."

SplineGod
02-14-2006, 01:12 AM
It also depends on what you mean by character animation tools.
Many things are not specifically for character animation but are used alot such as motion modifiers, expressions, deformations etc etc.

Adding relativity into the mix will greatly enhance what can be done with rigging since it doesnt have many of the limitations the current expression/constraints system has. The new Adaptive Subs and support for Normal maps will allow more to be done with deformations. Having the modeling tools in layout will also greatly change and improve what can be done with characters. :)