PDA

View Full Version : LightWave 7.5c Update Online

Chuck
05-15-2003, 05:37 PM
NewTek is pleased to announce that the [7.5]c release is now available for registered owners of LightWave 3D [7.5]. The release is a maintenance update, providing enhanced reliability for existing features. The update also brings three LightWave-native plugins to OSX that had not previously been ported to that operating system - ReducePolygons, ReducePoints, and Rest_On_Ground.

In addition to the update, the new HTML Help File for Lightwave is available for download on the update page. This is a complete HTML conversion of the Reference manuals, updated to 7.5c.

For details and to download the update, go to:

http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/product/7.5c/index.html

hrgiger
05-15-2003, 05:43 PM
Cool! Is there a list of features that were specifically addressed Chuck?

By the way, I just received my new book on Lighting in Lightwave by Nicholas Boughen today. I see he gives thanks to you Chuck in the beginning.

riki
05-15-2003, 05:48 PM
Thanks Chuck, the updated manuals are a definate plus.

Matt
05-15-2003, 07:12 PM
Didn't I say 7.5c was days away!!! What a guess! I hope LScript is fixed!!!

Thanks NewTek, much appreciated!

Now all we need is CIM to flame it!!!

;)

Titus
05-15-2003, 09:46 PM
I can't make layout start, modeler works fine. This is the error I got:

"Can't open message table."

Note: Mhh, weird. I have two versions of layout. The previous called Lightwav.exe and the new one Lightwave.exe. Now the old one runs as 7.5c discovery edition. I have the Animator edition of the VT[2].

kevman3d
05-15-2003, 09:51 PM
I love the fact that you guys put in the list of tips and tricks the community all posted online into the manual! Cool!

Nice one William and Newtek! :)

dmoc
05-16-2003, 01:57 AM
I'm still downloading the update and help files but in the mean time I'm checking out the online help... great! Colour too, whoohoo!

Thanks Chuck.

Earl
05-16-2003, 12:04 PM
Agreed! Taking the time to add User Tips from the forums is a nice touch NewTek! :cool:

Userdelta
05-16-2003, 02:36 PM
so far soo good :) all the extra plugs and scripts i use are still working and everything is smooth. happy happy joy joy. i think this ones a keeper.

StevenDS
05-16-2003, 09:23 PM
Did anyone have a problem opening the PDF for the 7.5 Manual in the 7.5c Doc/ update?
Did anyone else 'lose' files like the images, scenes, objects etc from the standard LW installation?

-Steve

Titus
05-16-2003, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by StevenDS

Did anyone else 'lose' files like the images, scenes, objects etc from the standard LW installation?

-Steve

Well. I did lose the Video Toaster instalation when trying to reinstall LW 7.5 back. It's a stupid idea to install an upgrade a day before a deadline but I was tempted by the "Surface Thickness". I was doing render with RenderMan before that.

kyuzo
05-19-2003, 03:43 PM
Steve - I did.
I tried installing the help files, they didn't show in my start menu as I expected. I tried again, then uninstalled them, and discovered that all folders withing the lightwave directory (scenes, objects, plugins, etc) had been cleared out.
I was barely awake at time, so I put it down to sheer stupidity on my part.
Either way, unless anyone out there knows a magical way to restore my plugins from wherever the hell they went (They ain't in the trash, I've looked) I'll be spending a few days reinstalling LW and hunting down all the plugins I can remember ever using...
:rolleyes:
Any wizards out there?

On the plus side, 7.5b was a nice treat, I know 7.5c will be just as good (when I've re-installed the sod) and the online help is fantastic. When I've finished banging my head off my desk, I'll be giving Newtek two thumbs up...

Derek

kyuzo
05-21-2003, 02:50 AM
Alright, I'm still having serious problems installing the help file. I've installed and uninstalled five times last night, and here's what happens:
Complete uninstall of ALL LW files. Fresh system.
Install LW 7.5 from CD, into 'C: Lightwave'. Copy across license key. It works.
Install 7.5c into 'C: Lightwave'. It works, but I have two entries for Lightwave in the Start menu. No big deal.
Install Help file into 'C: Lightwave'. Everything in the Lightwave folder except programs, .dll's and such have gone. Plugins, objects, scenes, images, have all been deleted. The help file is not in the start menu, but I can find 'index.html' and create a shortcut from there.
If I do a maintenance reinstall of LW 7.5 or 7.5c, the Help files are wiped out.
I spent all of last night running round and round in circles installing and uninstalling. My system is running XP home if that helps anyone.
The forum hasn't exploded with people complaining about this problem so I can only assume that either: very few people have tried to install the help files; those that have tried to install them have been stunned into silence; or I am overlooking something mind numbingly simple.

Please put me out of my misery. (With useful info though, not a bolt gun) Any words of wisdom will be much appreciated.

Derek

:(

Aegis
05-21-2003, 05:17 AM
Make sure you're not using "custom" install - I've installed 7.5, 7.5c & the help files on WinXP without any deleted files.

kyuzo
05-21-2003, 05:29 AM
Ahhhh... That could be it.
I usually install as 'Custom' so I can see exactly what is being installed...
I'll give that a try tonight, thank's Andy, I hope that's it.
If there's a blinding flash and mushroom cloud in the north of England tonight, you'll all know it wasn't... :D

Derek

kyuzo
05-21-2003, 02:13 PM
IT WORKED!!!

Thank you Andy, you're a bloody hero. As I suspected, it was something stupid I'd overlooked, but I never would have guessed the solution.
Two thumbs up for Newtek for Lightwave, two fingers up to Bill Gates for not providing printed manuals with Windows anymore...

Derek

kevman3d
05-21-2003, 06:00 PM
Just an interesting observation...

When I downloaded the update patch right when it first appeared on Newtek, it was 19.8Mb in size.

When the guys at work downloaded it, and when I downloaded it for the local University last night (I did a demo of the new features), the file is now 15Mb?

That's like 5Mb missing? Corrupted? No, apparently not since Winzip doesn't give it a CRC fail, and well, it all installs fine...

Anyone know what is missing (or if the patch was updated and I need to re-download the patch *again* to fix something? Please don't tell me I need to do that... I am on a 56k modem here! Argh!)

Oculus
05-22-2003, 10:44 AM
same here

and i can't find the update on the mirror anymore

btw, did any of you guys find the updated lwsn-rpm ?
it's not included in the intel-update, nor is it anywhere on newtek ftp

LSlugger
05-22-2003, 06:27 PM
Wow, that's gross! They changed the file without giving it a new name. If one of our release engineers did that, I'd read him the riot act.

I have two versions of LW75cIntelUpdate.zip:

20,796,007 bytes
MD5SUM 92d6197c2029fb22f52faa1ec42f9437
15,172,826 bytes
MD5SUM 5c612c1bb4e4157578816704c0a9dec0

The only differences are in the documentation and the Linux renderer. If you have the old 7.5c, you don't really need the new 7.5c. If you have the new 7.5c, then you'll have to wait for NewTek to post the Linux renderer.

kevman3d
05-23-2003, 04:39 AM
Well, that and they also didn't bother to change the file size description on the web page - I know of people who would download it several times cause they read it said 19.8Mb and thought they had a download failure somewhere...

Some people actually still *pay* for Internet data in some parts of the world. :)

Hmmm, ah well, if its only the doco and Linux then I'm not too paniced, but agree that its pretty bad doing a swap-out of files like that without any warning. I was getting a little worried someone had discovered some new bugs and posted an updated patch again... (for instance, like the occasional panel that doesn't redraw correctly (just like 7.5b had)) :)

Oculus
05-23-2003, 07:46 AM
that's sad :(

but the filesize of the rpm isn't too much, so could somebody mail me the zipped rpm-package?
[email protected]

would be great