PDA

View Full Version : Info about Sasquatch?

freakstate
02-13-2006, 10:58 AM
Hi all, i've just joined the forums. Been using Lightwave at Uni for last 2 years of my degree course so i'm still on a very steep learning curve but my newest project for uni needs fur for grass and some sheep.

I've made use of Saslite for screenshots but ive just reach it's limitations. (only 8 instances of saslite allowed and a limit on points on the polygon) This is a major blow to my project idea where i want to render a large grassy field and furry sheep!

I've explored the Sasquatch website but the plug-in of $499 is alot for a poor student like me so how easy is it to get a 2nd hand copy or is that even possible? (with registration etc) Or does anyone know the EXACT limitations of saslite and i may be able to work around it.

Paul_Boland
02-13-2006, 11:45 AM
Having not used Saslite yet (I'm new to Lightwave too), I'm not the best person to answer this question, but I will tell you that I saw a picture in an old issue of 3D World magazine, where they covered Lightwave. The image depicted a toy bear, covered with fun, sitting in the middle of a grassy field, and the tutorial on creating this image was done using Saslite (if I remember correctly). There was a lot of fur and a lot of grass, though whether this reached the limits of Saslite or not I don't know. If you want, I can dig out the tutorial and scan it for you. It may not be what you are after, but it might point you in the right direction. I'm sure more advanced users will be able to give you more details.

sachmizzle
02-13-2006, 01:51 PM
hey paul, you know which issue of 3DW that was in? might have to rummage through my old issues and find it ;p

hrgiger
02-13-2006, 02:09 PM
Hi freakstate. Yes, it is possible to buy a secondhand copy of Sasquatch. I've both sold and bought a copy of Sasquatch and Worley will allow it but you will have to do one of two things. Either switch dongles with the person, or you will have to order a new dongle from Newtek so they can unlicense your old one and transfer it to the new one. This is usually the better, and sometimes only option.

There is no workaround that I'm aware of that will allow you to place more then 8 instances of saslite into a scene.

bgraves44
02-13-2006, 02:10 PM
Maybe try this:

Once you have your scene layed out and animated, just render the Sas'ed object from the back to front in groups of 8 and render with alpha and then composite the layers together. you would have to save different versions of your scene I guess, with sas apllied to the varying levels... you might have to do some finaggling to get the shadows right...

Kind of a round about way to do it, but I think it would work. BTW, the full version of Sasquatch is awesome. If you're going to be doing alot of hair, fur and stuff, it's definitly worth the money. It realy is amazing what you can do with it. Especially with the new dynamics functions in 8.5.

B Graves

Paul_Boland
02-14-2006, 11:12 AM
hey paul, you know which issue of 3DW that was in? might have to rummage through my old issues and find it ;p

3D World issue 18 November 2001. The tutorial starts on page 40, a little fury bear sitting in the middle of a load of grass, and yes, it was done using Saslite.