PDA

View Full Version : regarding 8.5...

Pavlov
02-13-2006, 10:45 AM
hi all,
i used 7.5c until now, never upgraded to 8.x serie.
I did it now to access to 9 beta test program and to get the nice offers (LWcad + Vue).
In my daywork i think 9 will remain "experimental" for quite a bit, unless there's no bug around and all plugins i use works seamlessly form first release....
Tomorrow i'll get my 8.5 box, and i'd like to know if it's worth to jump on it waiting for 9 to be stable and production ready.
Quesion is: coming from 7.5c, which are bad issues with 8.5 ?
I rely heavily on Fprime and Kray, plus a *ton* of freebies.
Are there important tool which wont work as expected ? Any bug or issue i shoud care of ?

thanks,
Paolo

hrgiger
02-13-2006, 10:49 AM
One of the bugs that I'm aware of is the OpenGL transparency bug in modelers viewports. It's a tad screwy.

Lewis
02-13-2006, 12:49 PM
For me 8.5 is more stable than 7.5c (i never upgraded to d) especialy in clearing scenes and closing (7.5 and 8.0 were crashing a lot when closing) and only nasty bug is as hrgiger mentioned modelers openGL transparency issue :(.

But why not have all versions instaleed and see for yourself ? I have 7.5c, 8.0.1, 8.3 and 8.5 (and 5.6c somewhere also ;)). They all can be in own folder with -c switch for configs so all configs can be on different folders also and you can ewen turn on few versions of LW at once if you wish :).

8.5 is very stable for me but i'm mostly in modeler so i can't guareante that for layout although i didn't notice crashes while I was working with scene setups and renders in 8.5 (2-3 milion polys scenes).

Joscci
02-13-2006, 08:51 PM
But why not have all versions instaleed and see for yourself ? I have 7.5c, 8.0.1, 8.3 and 8.5 (and 5.6c somewhere also ;)). They all can be in own folder with -c switch for configs so all configs can be on different folders also and you can ewen turn on few versions of LW at once if you wish :).

Hello, Lewis...

I'm currently running v8.3 as I am hesitant on installing the 8.5 upgrade, and have thought about installing 8.5 in its own folder. I'm wondering, since you have all those installations, how do you handle your plugins folders? Does each LW version you have have its own plug-ins folder, or do you have all of them reference a single folder?

How about the 'Content' folder... do you keep a master Content folder if you will whereby all your LW versions point to this content folder, or do you also keep a unique content folder for version you have installed?

I could use the advice... thanks!

Regards,

dgon64
02-13-2006, 09:55 PM
Each version of Lightwave will have its own folders with Content, Plug-ins etc. The major thing that differs is the location for each config file under Documents and Settings. This can be configured so that each shortcut on your desktop will be linked to whatever version of Lightwave you choose ( there are several good explanations on this forum if you do a search ). The easiest way to start is to install the earliest version you want, make copy of this version and then when upgrading-during installation-just direct the upgrade installation to the copy of Lightwave. All you have to do then is configure your shortcuts and you finally end up with both versions. Repeat above process for more versions however , I think 8.3 necessitates a Sentinel driver update as well.

ACLOBO
02-13-2006, 11:01 PM
If you really want a taste of some of the festering nastiness in 8.5, take a look at the 8.5 bug thread. There are a lot of bugs in 8.5. Yes, there are some nice features as well, but there as some "whammies" in there as well. If you are using lightwave to make money, then I would say upgrade and patch through version 8.3. Use 8.5 if you really need one of its features or render improvements (8.5 on my machine does show some improvement in render times). Other than that, I think you are wise to consider version 9.0 experimental for the time being. Depending on what you are doing, I would never advocate using a fresh version for production work. Instead, wait until it gets at least one maintenance patch.

-Adrian

Lewis
02-14-2006, 04:33 AM
Hello, Lewis...

I'm currently running v8.3 as I am hesitant on installing the 8.5 upgrade, and have thought about installing 8.5 in its own folder. I'm wondering, since you have all those installations, how do you handle your plugins folders? Does each LW version you have have its own plug-ins folder, or do you have all of them reference a single folder?

How about the 'Content' folder... do you keep a master Content folder if you will whereby all your LW versions point to this content folder, or do you also keep a unique content folder for version you have installed?

I could use the advice... thanks!

Regards,

HI !

Each LW install will have it's own content in its folder (i have folders c:\Lightwave75, c:\Lightwave8, c:\Lightwave83 , c:\Lightwave85 and each of them have own folder of content and "configs" folger (manualy made) so i direct shorcut icon to save configs in it's own LW folder so that they don't mix with each other. By defult LW saves configs in Docs..and.Settings/User but in that way you'd have overwriten configs each time you start different version. MY content folder is on another disc to so me that's not important since i don't use default content to store my project files.

So to instal 8.5 and have 8.3 also i make new dir on C: called Lightwave 85 and COPY all content of current 8.3 to it. Then i start 8.5 upgrade and point him to LightWave85 folder. That way you can have ALL plugins you had in 8.3 and add new ones to 8.5 if you wish adn not add them to previous versions. Also you preserve older version intact.

Pavlov
02-14-2006, 04:56 AM
hi, pretty clear.. i'll install it on another dir.
It would be nice if NT will add a "config path" below "content dir", and maybe added MORE content dirs.
anyway: how can i make 8.5 point at a custom made config dir, exactly ?

Paolo

EDIT Found it, it should be -c"path"

Joscci
02-14-2006, 07:31 AM
Ahhh, gotcha! Thanks dgon64 and Lewis! :)

Cheers.

Rich
02-14-2006, 09:03 AM
I use LW 8.2 at home and 8.5 at work. I'd say if anything at least use 8.2 if you make UV maps on Subpatch models. The reason is since ver 8.2 you can subpatch the UV to solve the stretching issues.

Lewis
02-14-2006, 12:58 PM
Yes Paolo thing is to edit LW icon shortcut wiht path to config files :).

on my machien it looks like this:

for LW 8.5
C:\Lightwave85\Programs\lightwav.exe -cC:Lightwave85\configs

for 8.2
C:\Lightwave82\Programs\lightwav.exe -cC:Lightwave82\configs

for 7.5
C:\Lightwave75\Programs\lightwav.exe -cC:Lightwave75\configs

and so on m pattern is same :).

Only thing what you need to manually (after that shortcut switch) is to make "config" folder in LW directory or any other name for dir what would you liek lw to store config files :).