PDA

View Full Version : VT[2] and Dell Precision Workstation 650

akira_cn2000
05-15-2003, 04:44 PM
Based on NewTek's website, the recommended system config states one based on Intel's E7505 chipset. The VT[2] box I received recommends a system based on Intel's i860 chipset.

We purchased a Dell system based on the E7505 chipset. Problem is that the VT[2] is not recognized as being present in this system and LED1 doesn't light while any other PCI card has no problems being recognized.

We tried this card in a variety of other systems including those based on Intel's i860, i845PE, and i840. I functioned just fine in all of these systems and LED1 lights up as soon as you switch on the system as it should.

Has anyone come across a situation like this?

Our system:
Dell Precision Workstation 650
BIOS A00
Intel E7505 Chipset
Dual Xeon 2.4GHz 533FSB
2 X 512MB PC2100 ECC DDR
nVidia Quadro 4 750GXL
LSI Logic 1030 Ultra320 SCSI Controller
Western Digital WD1200JB 120GB IDE
4 X Seagate Cheetah 36GB 15000 RPM Ultra320 in RAID 0

Any help would be appreciated.

Ian.

sbrandt
05-16-2003, 02:58 PM
The 7505 was released after the manual was printed...

I had exactly the same problem with a Tyan K7 Thunder motherboard. I was TOLD it had something to do with PCI slot it populated being either a 33mhz or 66mhz slot. By the time I was told that, I'd already changed to an Asus K7M266-D. So I don't know for an absolute fact that was the problem. I'd really like to know the right answer to this one too !!!

akira_cn2000
05-21-2003, 02:51 PM
sbrandt

What happened to your E7505 Tyan board? Did you exchange it? Which model was it?

sbrandt
05-21-2003, 04:32 PM
Like I said, it's a Tyan Thunder K7 (Model - S2462) with an AMD-760 MP Chipset. It's in another case running as my print graphics workstation also with my Premiere and Vegas Video4. By now I thought it would be my third machine after completing a dualie Xeon, but my Video camera died and I've got to put the money into a JVC GY DV500u. (I've decided against the XL1-s) When I'm back on track it'll be a third machine running probably as a general file server with project and audio storage and continue as the print graphics workstation, and I'll move the Premiere and Vegas Video to the A7M266-D that's now the current VT box. (Whatever box the VT runs on... I want to be exclusively Toaster, with nothing else hacking the Registry up in any way. Also if things go wrong it's much easier to deduce what the source is.)

Why ?:D

akira_cn2000
05-22-2003, 10:24 AM
Actually, what I was asking about is the make and model of your Xeon dualie board (the one the Toaster wouldn't work on).

sbrandt
05-22-2003, 11:54 AM
I don't get it...
I don't have a dualie Xeon.

I had exactly the same problem as you stated, ("The problem is that the VT[2] is not recognized as being present in this system and LED1 doesn't light while any other PCI card has no problems being recognized.") I had that exact same problem with a TYAN THUNDER K7 DUAL ATHLON MOTHERBOARD.

Further, I was TOLD it had something to do with PCI slot it populated being either a 33mhz or 66mhz slot. But by the time I was told that, I'd already changed to an Asus A7M266-D.

I thought the information I'd recieved about the 33Mhz and 66Mhz slots might be a clue that's applicable to the e7505.

So, ...haven't had a dual Xeon yet and the money that I was going to put into it has to go to a new camera for right now, and I won't have a dual Xeon for at least a couple of months.

(Which, by the way, brings me to the JVC DV500 and the Canon XL1s. I was leaning toward the JVC, but I started to order one this morning, and discovered why they are priced alike. The JVC come without a $1,500 LENS. So it turns out that the Canon XL1s is the better deal after all !):cool:

akira_cn2000
05-22-2003, 12:11 PM
Ah. Sorry. I misunderstood. Well, this certainly sheds some light into the problem knowing that it happened in both AMD and Intel platforms. My original suspicion was that it has something to do with the way the PCI spec was implemented on these boards. Makes me wonder if it's a design issue or a BIOS issue.

jcupp
05-27-2003, 08:33 AM
Are you installing the VT card into a 32 bit slot or a 64?
If a 32 bit it should work, I have had problems getting the VT to work in PCI-X slots, you may need to force the clock to 33 MHz which may have a negitive impact on other devices in the machine that run on that bus.

akira_cn2000
05-27-2003, 11:45 AM
Yes, I was aware that the card needed a 32 bit slot. The machine had 2 of them. The card failed in both slots. The machine doesn't have any settings in the BIOS or jumpers on the mainboard that would allow setting the bus frequency to 33Mhz. Question is, shouldn't a 32 bit only slot already be running at 33Mhz?

jcupp
05-27-2003, 03:04 PM
Yes, the 32 bit slot should be 33MHz. Do you have any idea what MB Dell used in your machine? Do other cards work in the slots?

Dell - ick!

akira_cn2000
05-27-2003, 04:50 PM
Hi Jeff,

Dell uses proprietary boards in their Precision and Server line of products. However, they do work quite closely with Intel when designing the boards, but in the end it's their own board.

Other cards do work fine in this Dell. The only card that won't work is the Toaster.

jcupp
05-27-2003, 05:08 PM
If you can get the VT to work in another MB, I'd call the Dell junk and send it back. I would always recommend computers by a reputable VT dealer over Dell anyway, they will have a configuration that works using common off-the-shelf parts.

akira_cn2000
05-27-2003, 05:20 PM
Unfortunately, the money is spent and there's no turning back. Interesting to note that since Dell works so closely with Intel, that their boards really should be as close to reference as possible. This ultimately means that these Dells should be amongst the most compatible of machines around.

I really think that the ball is now in NeTek's court to ensure that their products work with Intel reference design boards before certifying them to work with a particular chipset platform. I can't remember, but I might have mentioned that the VT didn't have problems being identified in all previous chipset platforms I tried it in, including the Dell Precision 530 based on the i860 chipset. The board in the 530 also has PCI-X slots.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

jcupp
05-27-2003, 10:03 PM
I personally wouldn't use an Intel board either. The Supermicro X5DA boards work great as do Iwill's 7505 based boards though the Iwill won't fit in an ATX case.

But I'm pretty sure there are others out there running a Toaster in a Dell Precision 650. But with Dell you never know from one day to the next what hardware you might get in a particular model.

Anyone out there with personal experience?

Sorry you've stumped me.

OBroschart
06-05-2003, 08:23 AM
We have a VT[2] in a Precision 650 dual 3.06 with Win2K SP4 and it works fine.

The Toaster card is installed in a 64-bit PCx slot running at 100MHz.

There have been some technical glitches such as a non-functional SX8 daughtercard that took 1 month to replace and now we have a genlock card which isn't behaving as it should, but those are not the DELL's fault.

The DELL is a fantastic box. I would suspect that your problem is with the Toaster board.

akira_cn2000
06-05-2003, 11:12 AM
Hi OBroschart,

Thanks for the post. You're the first person I've come across who's got the same configuration as I do in terms of workstation hardware. This is important because it proves that some way some how, this VT[2] hardware is supposed to work on a Dell Precision 650. Can you give me a more info about the configuration of your Dell? Perhaps I might be missing something.

Is it also possible that since your hardware is so new that you might even have a newer revision VT board? As far as I can tell, there is nothing wrong with our board or any of the add on hardware it comes with. It just simply doesn't exist when plugged into any slot in any of our 2 Dell Precision 650s (Rev A00 and Rev A01 mainboards).

Right now, our VT board is temporarily deployed in another machine (Pentium 4 2.4GHz / Intel 845PE chipset) while we are trying to sort out the problem. When I get my hands on it again, I'm going to see what other information I can get about the board and perhaps I can compare that information with you.

Thanks again,
Ian.

OBroschart
06-17-2003, 11:06 AM
Hi Ian,

Sorry it took so long to reply.

We had our machine built by Videolink and they tell me that they didn't need to do anything special in the bios for the Toaster board. The board is sitting happily in a 64-bit PCI slot and working fine.

Maybe it does have something to do with the fact that we're using brand-new Toaster hardware, but I wouldn't be able to confirm.

Let me know if there's anything particular hardware settings you want to compare with mine.

Good luck to you,
Olivier