PDA

View Full Version : I hope!!!

Vigen
02-12-2006, 04:15 AM
I hope the LighteWave9.0 will be 64 bit on Mac.It's better choise because performance it's very important especially in render.

jahn
02-12-2006, 04:51 AM
i dont think this will help for render because macosx doesnt have 64bit gui support.
only command line.

BazC
02-12-2006, 05:04 AM
Newtek have already stated that there won't be 64bit LW for Mac until OSX is FULLY 64bit.

loki74
02-13-2006, 09:37 PM
well i dont really know a whole lot about how the whole 32 vs 64 bit thing works, but I seem to remember reading much on ths forum about it having a lot to do with how much RAM an app can use. On OSX, apps can use much more ram than on Windows, so by the comparative benefits of Windows 32 to Windows 64 versus OSX 32 to OSX 64, OSX needs it less. That's not to say that OSX 64 wouldnt be awesome, I just dont get the feeling we need 64 bit as much as the PC folks.

or I could be completely wrong.

eblu
02-13-2006, 10:08 PM
lets try this:
1. 64bit cannot actually help things like User interfaces. (it can be more work for a 64 bit approach to do some things)
2. 64bit can help "some" mathematical calculations, especially the ones that are computationally intensive (some parts of "rendering" for example).
3. the osX finder is Not 64bit (the finder IS NOT the whole OS).
4. osX does fully support 64bit applications.
5. osX is currently ramping up its 64bit developer toolset and only the low level tools are currently available, in other words... its not easy to work with yet.

whether we "need" 64bit, is a very subjective thing.
osX supports 64bit above the command line perfectly fine.

personally, I would rather have an Xcode version, quickly followed by a mac intel version. Thats where we'd see the best improvements. But they have to come before a 64bit version anyway.

cheers

loki74
02-13-2006, 10:47 PM
personally, I would rather have an Xcode version, quickly followed by a mac intel version. Thats where we'd see the best improvements. But they have to come before a 64bit version anyway.

Well its already in the works... and there no reason that they would not compile to Universal Binary, so... as far as i can see, Xcode version = Intel version. And im fairly certain we will see many speed increases even on PowerPC based Macs.

BazC
02-14-2006, 12:47 AM
I just dont get the feeling we need 64 bit as much as the PC folks.

That's my understanding too. As for Xcode, well it doesn't sound like it's a huge priority for Newtek so who knows when it will be done. Hopefully during the LW9.x cycle!

Captain Obvious
02-14-2006, 04:47 AM
A 64-bit version of Lightwave for Mac wouldn't actually be faster. The reason 64-bit apps are faster in Windows is because x86 CPUs have access to more registers in 64-bit mode than in 32-bit mode. This is NOT the case with PowerPC. Lightwave rendering is done entirely in floating point code, and this will run at the same exact speed in both 32-bit and 64-bit mode on a PowerPC processor.

There are only two reasons to ever make a 64-bit application for PowerPC Macs:
*64-bit integers - Lightwave doesn't use any
*More than 4 gigabytes of RAM

Of course, the latter of these two things would be nice. But it won't speed up rendering, as such.

eblu
02-14-2006, 10:07 AM
A 64-bit version of Lightwave for Mac wouldn't actually be faster. The reason 64-bit apps are faster in Windows is because x86 CPUs have access to more registers in 64-bit mode than in 32-bit mode. This is NOT the case with PowerPC. Lightwave rendering is done entirely in floating point code, and this will run at the same exact speed in both 32-bit and 64-bit mode on a PowerPC processor.

There are only two reasons to ever make a 64-bit application for PowerPC Macs:
*64-bit integers - Lightwave doesn't use any
*More than 4 gigabytes of RAM

Of course, the latter of these two things would be nice. But it won't speed up rendering, as such.

cap, we won't BE on powerPC processors anymore. Newtek doesn't have the resources necessary to devote an entire compile of LW to a 64Bit PowerPC platform, when its effectively dead*. so a 64 bit vers. of Mac LW may actually be faster based on your info, bc we will be on intel processors.

*not saying its outmoded by any means, just that Newtek can't aim at where the moving target is NOW. by the time they are ready to ship a 64 bit vers. of Mac LW, there won't be any viable powerPC macs.