PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Kensington trackball, VT and DirectX...

Jim_C
02-11-2006, 09:16 AM
Recently when installing 4.6b the DirectX installation would crash while loading giving me an error pointing to a driver(?) associated with my Kensington Expert Mouse PRO trackball.

I uninstalled the Kensington software and the DirectX installation went fine.

I have yet to reinstall the software out of fear of conflict, but I REALLY miss being able to assign things to the trackball buttons. Basically its just a huge 2 button mouse now, the 8 assignable shortcut keys are going to waste.

Anyone have any advice on whether reinstalling the trackball software is OK?

I always install the latest vrsion from the web site and immediately run an update on it.

Thanks

Jim

Jim Capillo
02-11-2006, 09:35 AM
I know the two devices are not the same, but the ShuttlePro V2 hasn't gummed up the works on any of the installs yet (knock on wood). You could always try the trackball install and then uninstall if it screws things up. Have you updated the trackball software lately and then noticed it or was it just the latest VT build?

Jim_C
02-11-2006, 09:44 AM
Hey Jim,

It only started with the 4.6 DirectX installs. The DirectX install would start then crash giving an error.. I poked around the error log and saw it mentioned the Kensington driver....

Yea I always grab the latest version and update it too....

I can't say for sure that it ever caused problems in the past... There is always the infrequent, random weird crash that could have been caused by it... but eh. never know. I do know I have not had a crash since moving to 4.6b (and uninstalling Kensington). But I never really had that many crashes to be able to say anything conclusively.

thanks for the input. Yea, I should probably just reinstall it and give it a go....

JiM

Jim Capillo
02-11-2006, 10:17 AM
Yea, I should probably just reinstall it and give it a go....

I wish I could help more - technically. If I were in your spot, I would try to reinstall and see what happens. One way or the other, it'll probably nail down whether the K driver is causing the problem.

Jim_C
02-11-2006, 10:22 AM
Yea... probably a good bit of info for Newtek too... maybe... dunno....

But just in case...

Hey Newtek, Kensington Trackball software conflicted with the 4.6x DirectX setup....

kmw.exe was the app associated....

So,,, there ya go.

:)