PDA

View Full Version : CG is not THAT bad

wvp
02-10-2006, 10:45 PM
For those that think the CG is pretty bad, try using FCP's built in CG.
You will think VT's is the best one ever created!
We have a project being done on one of our FCP systems. We wanted to create a two line scroll. There is NO way to paste or type text & see how it will fit on the screen without switching views!
You type the text in a small box & the switch to another tab to see the results as layed out on the "screen". The "screen" is also a small window, to see the text on a monitor (aka interlaced) you need to render.
When I checked FCP's forums for a solution I found two:
1) Use a Boris effects plugin (supplied with FCP)
2) Use Photoshop

VT may need improvments, but its worlds (or out of this world) better than FCP.:thumbsup:

Ivan
02-10-2006, 11:01 PM
That's why Apple bought Live Type and includes it with FCP. Not to bash CG but in no way does it compare to that. CGPost allows for some cool stuff right from the timeline and FCP can't compete on other fronts but with both VT and FCP you would have your bases covered.

Ivan

tmon
02-12-2006, 01:24 PM
I agree VT-CG is way more useful than FCP's built in CG.
I agree that Live Type was a good acquisition for Apple. When that hapened, it was definitely a "loss" for the PC side of things....

But don't forget that VT has Aura and Lightwave 3D built in.

In addition to Boris and Photoshop:

http://www.toastergarage.com/oasis/
http://www.toasterdudes.com/
http://www.bauhaussoftware.com/products_mirage_features.php

Jim Capillo
02-12-2006, 04:13 PM
While I pretty much use the VT's CG all the time now, there was a time not long ago that I used the Trinity's CG and imported it into the VT. I can't remember what company wrote the code, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't Play. The interface was compact, good looking and very functional.

I wouldn't be unhappy if Newtek licensed it for use in the VT.......

Seti Orion
02-12-2006, 05:09 PM
Does Aura do scrolling credits?

The problem with vt cg is that if you are lucky you
may be able to get a few fonts to look sort of
good, which is not the biggest collection.

What 3rd party program is best to do cg for vt 4?

Ivan
02-12-2006, 06:39 PM
You can creat a large brush in Aura and keyframe it. CG Scroll looks much better if you turn HQ and ISS. I have started to save the Scroll Pages at the default speed or slower as an RTV and play them back at 200 -300% speed with Iss and HQ on. You can experiment to find the one that works best for you but it looks pretty solid.

Ivan

ted
02-12-2006, 08:08 PM
Jim, we both miss the Trinity CG. :(
I agree that the VT CG is very useable now. I'm even opening it from time to time. We still use PhotoShop for most everything though since many of our elements go to After Effects.

Rich Deustachio
02-13-2006, 11:59 AM
Jim, we both miss the Trinity CG. :(

Ted, do I have a deal for you!!

Matt Drabick
02-14-2006, 04:48 AM
Jim, it was InnoVision Technology that developed the CG for Trinity.

Matt Drabick,
DigiTek Systems

Jim Capillo
02-14-2006, 07:45 AM
Jim, it was InnoVision Technology that developed the CG for Trinity.

Thanks Matt ~ I knew they licensed it from someone, just couldn't remember who. Seems they are long gone, at least according to Google. Some company in Australia pops up, apparently nothing to do with video.

Ted, do I have a deal for you!!

Ha ! Let me guess...... multi-colored (blue/yellow) boat anchors ?????? :D

Tim Johnson
02-15-2006, 01:14 PM
That's funny! I can remember quite a few faces here that were on the old TrinityCentral boards quite a bit.

I miss the Trinity CG, too. Had some cool stuff in there. (I don't miss it enough to buy one, though--sorry, Rich!)

ted
02-15-2006, 06:49 PM
Ditto Tim. Many of the regular posters here were the regular Trinity posters. Funny how we all merged to the same system. I think real time performance is important to all of us. The other thing is a passionate user community. Lord knows there was a lot of passion on the Trinity forums! :p

Dexter2999
02-25-2006, 04:35 PM
Trinity User here.

Jim Capillo
02-25-2006, 05:56 PM
I kind of miss being an active member of the "Dirty Dozen" (so named internally by Play/GS employees ~ how's that for customer appreciation ? :ohmy: ), but I have to admit, I am MUCH happier with this product than I was with my beloved boat anchor..... and it even sucked at doing THAT job !

Roland2
02-27-2006, 08:00 AM
Does Aura do scrolling credits?

The problem with vt cg is that if you are lucky you
may be able to get a few fonts to look sort of
good, which is not the biggest collection.

What 3rd party program is best to do cg for vt 4?

I SAW A GREAT DIFFERENCE IN VT CG OUT IF THE CG WAS SELECTET
OR NOT AS ACTIVE TOOL BUT NOT DEPEND IN THE QUALITY OF THE
FONTS:
Roland2