PDA

View Full Version : Backdrop File Format problem

nelson3d
02-10-2006, 08:31 PM
Hello,
I'm trying to use an .jpg image as a backdrop, but when try the Load image in the Backdrop panel of the Display Options, it doesn' t opens that kind of image. It only sees tga images.
What s happening? I don' t understand....

Panikos
02-10-2006, 09:02 PM
Maybe you have some plugins mangled.
I have some problems with OpenEXR plugin.
Maybe Backdrop doesnt like jpgs, a bug maybe ...
You can change the format of the image and shoot away.

Kuzey
02-10-2006, 09:15 PM
I just tried it and Modeler crashed.

A tiff on the other hand worked, seems like a plugin bug to me.

Kuzey

Filmdesigner
02-11-2006, 12:00 AM
I have had all kinds of issues with Jpeg file causing crashes. Thanks to some handy words of wisdom from these forums, I changed to PNG file and solved the crash issues.

nelson3d
02-11-2006, 03:56 AM
Every little freeware program can read JPEG files. LW is no freeware, its one of the best in the world and I can live with no JPEGs, but its very strange. A bug with such a simple task is a problem... There are many others in areas in wich I can' t have a turnaround and use a tif ???? I' m new to LW but not new to 3d or graphic programs in general AND NEVER SAW THIS!!!Thanks for all adviices. Let's try to solve the problem and maybe post a solution here.

BeeVee
02-11-2006, 04:14 AM
It's because you configs are corrupted. LightWave has always been able to accept JPG images. Here are the steps to repair your configs:

WARNING! This will kill any customisations you have made, so it's a good idea to use the editors to save menus and shortcuts.

1. Load the Layout portion of LightWave;
2. Hit Alt F11 (or go into the Utilities Tab and click on the Edit Plug-Ins button) and then the Scan Directory button and point it to your LightWave plugins folder. It will scan the plug-ins and give you a message like "xxx Plug-Ins found in xxx files.";
3. Hit Alt F10 (or go to the Edit menu and choose Edit Menu Layout) and change the Presets menu to LightWave 7.5. Return to it and change it back to Default;
4. Hit Alt F9 (or go to the Edit menu and choose Edit Keyboard Shortcuts) and change the Presets menu to LightWave 7.5. Return to it and change it back to Default;
5. Now quit LightWave and start Modeler from your new icon;
6. Repeat steps 3 and 4 but be aware that the Preset Menu will only offer LightWave 7.0;
7. Quit Modeler and quit Hub too.

B
PS. It's not strictly necessary to do all these steps, but it's safest.

Kuzey
02-11-2006, 04:45 AM
I followed those steps and Modeler still crashes.

Should that work with both platform versions, because I'm on a Mac?

"5. Now quit LightWave and start Modeler from your new icon; "

What do you mean by new icon??

Is there an easy way to edit the config files by using a text editor to make the changes??

Kuzey

nelson3d
02-11-2006, 05:25 AM
Hello, Ben Vost,
firstly, thank you for helping me solve this thing.

Like Kuzey, I have some doubts:
Me too, followed those steps and Modeler still cant read jpeg files but, in my case, it never crashes. I have LW 8.1 in WIN XP home edition.

Like Kuzei, I dont understand that part: "5. Now quit LightWave and start Modeler from your new icon; " What do you mean by new icon??"

I must say that I appreciated the quick response and the efforts to solve my problem. Thanks to all.
Nelson

BeeVee
02-11-2006, 01:11 PM
No, I don't know why it refers to new icon either. I must have edited the file without realising... :(

B

Kuzey
02-11-2006, 05:10 PM
Ok, I found the problem...it's the same one in LW7+ that causes problems on some machines but not others :p

I removed the "JPEG.p" plugin to the desktop and now jpegs load without a problem.

:D

Kuzey

nelson3d
02-11-2006, 05:38 PM
I don' t understand how to do it: "I removed the "JPEG.p" plugin to the desktop and now jpegs load without a problem" .
Where is that JPEG.p plug in? How can I remove it? Why it causes this problem?
And, finallly, why other bitmap file formats do not appear in the list for the backdrop? Like psd, or bmp or tga?

One more question: why quit the hub?

Nelson

Kuzey
02-11-2006, 06:35 PM
You can find it in the input-output folder, the path is LightWave [8]/plugins/input-output/JPEG.p

You just grab it and drag it onto to the desktop or you can move it to the recycle bin but don't delete it yet.

Then start Modeler and try adding a jpg and see if that works.

If it doesn't work you might need Quicktime installed (but I'm not sure of this), WIN XP might be able to handle the jpg format on it's own.

If it works you can then you can delete the plugin or zip it for safe keeping.

All the best,

Kuzey

nelson3d
02-12-2006, 05:24 PM
Allright, I have two sollutions, one word of wisdom and one turnaround in this thread. It' s enough for me.
Thank you all.
Nelson

newsvixen8
11-10-2006, 01:16 PM
Just a note of thanks guys - on my way out of state for the weekend, after hastily loading my LW8.5 onto a handy G4 Powerbook... somewhere over Virginia it became apparent Modeler was refusing to load a simple .jpg as a backdrop. Thanks to a wi-fi connection in the Atlanta airport I discovered the forum has been buzzing on this very topic today, and the solution was as simple as fixing the configs and re-loading plug-ins. You have saved more than one rear end today - sincerely grateful! :thumbsup: