PDA

View Full Version : surface baking camera questions

lw3d23
02-10-2006, 04:02 AM
In surface baker, we have some options like bake color, bake diffuse.,etc but I couldn't see it in surface baking camera panel.:confused:

Jarno
02-10-2006, 06:04 PM
It renders like any normal F9/F10 render. Use your favourite render buffer saver plugin to save out whatever render buffers you need.

---JvdL---

Panikos
02-10-2006, 07:26 PM
I am excited in advance !
IF Mr Worley adopts the new Camera, this will allow FPrime Baking :)

MooseDog
02-10-2006, 10:14 PM
That would be a beautiful thing.

Quoted for agreement.

Keep in mind though, that to this day at least, FPrime cannot render over a network, while a LW camera (including this new one) can. With AmbOcc capabilites (either native or 3rd party) and lwsn, the concept of baking has been brought to fruition: doing work upfront so that the animation can render quicker!:thumbsup:

Overall, the combo of the Node Editor and Camera Baker is outstanding and leaves me kinda speechless:o .

Thx Jay!

badllarma
02-11-2006, 01:33 AM
So then what does surface baking actually mean?

Looking at the demo it bakes the captured surface setting and how it relates to light etc but if the object moves all that information is then false, the same is with the camera as well if you move the camera in the scene would it alter how the surface of the baked object reacts to it suroundings and it's own textures?

Don't really get how useful this can be? Unless it's only good for saving time rendering 1 still image that is involving no aniamtion, could someone explain please?

badllarma
02-11-2006, 09:13 AM
This is a tutorial I did awhile back for microwave, it should explain how this might be useful.

microwave tutorial (http://www.bpmediasolutions.com/microwave_tutorial.html)

Now I get it (or this use for it anyway) thanks for the info bryphi77 :)

StereoMike
02-11-2006, 11:06 AM
@badlarma

Right, baking the lightning into the surface will reduce the possibilities for the animation, but you use it for a lot of things though:

-you can still have moving shadows from animated objects on that surface by using e.g. two identical spotlights, one with a positive value and casting shadows, the other with the same but negative value and disabled shadows.

-a lot of objects won't change their shadows much, if you move some objects, so you can bake it, e.g. a surrounding city, the walls and the ceiling of a room, objects that just dirty up your scene (in the background).

By using this technique i was able to get down rendertimes from 30 min/frame down to one minute/frame on a recent project.

Mike

badllarma
02-11-2006, 11:27 AM
Cheers StereoMike,

The more I think about it the more I see the savings
For instance if I had a scene with a character in a room I could bake the walls, tables, lamps etc etc then just worry about the render times on the character as everything is still in the same position and so long as the lights do not move the objects within the room scene are the same from frame to frame.
:)

wacom
02-11-2006, 06:57 PM
It's also very useful for when you start getting some really crazy procedural textures that slow everything down since they have to be calculated every time you render. Instead you can bake them out and re-apply them. In a way this can help you avoid some of the procedural AA nightmares too. This method also helps you use the textures over again in a render tree in a simplier fashion.
It will also let you manually go back and "edit" certain areas since you're making an image map out of it- put a little extra blur on something, maybe noise removal etc.

I'd like to see how well it works on highly detailed meshes though- but I'm sure that adjusting the camera tollerance correctly will do it.

Panikos
02-11-2006, 09:30 PM
Wacom, you are right about procedural textures. A great saver as long as you dont take the camera very close to the texture.

I am very excited with the new Camera possibilities.
I've been asking for them for years.

Oh, happy 1K posts, you and me :)

Fozz
02-12-2006, 03:20 PM
Not to mention it's killer for games. A game I worked on a while ago, I could model and texture everything in LW, without much attention on the polycount. Light it the way I wanted, GI and everything, then bake it all down and end up with an 800 triangles realtime scene that looked like a 50k poly LW render...and then they canned the game. :(

spec24
02-13-2006, 09:53 AM
how is this different than just using the surface baker that we're currently using now?

Weepul
02-13-2006, 10:30 AM
how is this different than just using the surface baker that we're currently using now?

I don't have enough experience with surface baker to say for sure, but the gist I'm getting goes something like, faster, more reliable, works correctly with area lights, able to be rendered across a network...and it probably doesn't have any restriction on polygon types, as long as they can be UV mapped.

We'll see for sure once LW9 is available. :)

Fozz
02-13-2006, 10:59 AM
To be honest, the current Surface baker shouldn't be allowed to exist, IMO. It's limited and problematic in so many different ways.

wacom
02-13-2006, 11:37 AM
I'm not techie certain, but in XSI it bakes everything out using a camera too (unless you're doing a vertex bake, which I hope is being improved in LW too) and as everyone has noticed it's MUCH MUCH faster. And as they state on the vids it allows you to access anything that has to pass through to the normal final render too- IE it isn't just some plugin and is instead another instance of NT finally intergrating things!

wacom
02-13-2006, 12:59 PM
-delete-void-

Weepul
02-13-2006, 01:46 PM
spec, the new bake camera will alow us to render a high res mesh to low res uvs. check out this pic

How'd you manage that - center both objects on one another, bake using the low-res object as target, but set it to be unseen by camera?

Is normal map shading/creation a part of LW9 and I've missed the announcement? :D

wacom
02-13-2006, 02:08 PM
To be honest, the current Surface baker shouldn't be allowed to exist, IMO. It's limited and problematic in so many different ways.

I'm with you!

OT - Awsome gallery BTW. I like how you're able to manage such a similar visual style to your work despite different subjects.