PDA

View Full Version : Crawling texture fixed, but back now

Johnny
02-09-2006, 04:57 PM
I had some issues with crawling textures, and mostly fixed them (got them to the acceptable level).

Now, I've begun to render the very same scenes with the same settings (noise reduction, boosted mipmap settings) and the texture squirming is back!

I post here on the chance it might be a Mac thing..I don't know why the squirming would return to my clips.

thanks for any hints.

J

djtoltz
02-11-2006, 06:37 PM
I might be able to offer some ideas if you could be more specific about your render settings. Generally, a little motion blur, anti-aliasing, and NTSC legalization do the trick for me. Are you targeting video? Where are you seeing the crawling; playing back on your computer, or on a monitor?

I'm sure someone here can help, if you are very specific. BTW: I don't think mip-mapping will help. Pixel blending might help, but it's important to be NTSC legal (you can also legalize in your NLE), and lots of A.A. A soft reconstruction filter can also help. Motion blur generally does it, but sometimes you may not want blurring.

p.s. I've also noticed that lighting quality can adversely affect the temporal stability of some textures.

Johnny
02-13-2006, 09:05 AM
Sorry this took so long; visiting family this weekend.

OK..here's what I'm doing. This animation is intended for viewing on LCD screens only. I'm not dealing with NTSC issues, with broadcast, or with CRTs at all. I am rendering 864 x 486 px, pixel aspect ratio 1.0. AA is Classic, Enhanced Low. Reconstruction filter: Classic. Ray trace recursions: 4, extra optimization ON. Ray Trace shadows used only; no other type of raytracing involved.

My surface texture bump is achieved with a high-res (300dpi) bump map, not with procedurals.

As I'd mentioned, the squirming was almost gone or at least acceptable when I was rendering at a larger size (720p) but my hardware can handle that size video, so I entered smaller pixel dimensions (above) and now get some pretty nasty squirming.

You're thinking mip mapping isn't a factor, but many more iterations of AA could do it?

til I hear back from you, I'm going to experiment with that idea.

BTW, I use 1 area light, and that is set to 4 or 5 Quality level.

thank you!

J