PDA

View Full Version : LW 8.5 crashing like crazy...

ArneK
02-09-2006, 04:22 AM
Geeez... What's happening here?

I haven't been animating in Lightwave for quite a while and Layout seems to have gone mental since the last time I used it. There have been some OSX upgrades since then (I'm now on 10.4.4), and I have never EVER had a software crash as much on me as LW 8.5 now does...

I make a preview of my animation. Fine. Exit preview...
Blam! LW crashes and disappears...

Moving keyframes or tweaking beziers in Graph Editor...
Blam! LW crashes and disappears.

Rendering using F9...
Blam! LW crashes and disappears (usually)

Rendering a sequence using F10...
Blam! LW crashes and disappears after rendering the final frame...

And the list goes on and on... Can hardly touch a button and LW goes down.

I'm on a G5 dual 2,5 GHz with 6GB RAM, Nvidia 6800 videocard and using OSX 10.4.4, using Lightwave 8.5 build 830 (4. Oct 2005).

I have tried reinstalling, deleting prefs, disabling hub - all the usual tricks, but nothing seems to help. It doesn't matter if I have lo-res objects with no textures, or hi-res objects with loads of textures - it still crashes.

I've also tried turning off the advanced OpenGL options in the Options menu, but this hasn't helped either. And I 'm now getting pretty desperate as I have a deadline for a client and I can't get any work done... help...

Darth Mole
02-09-2006, 05:37 AM
Much as LW is flaky at the best of times, this sounds positively fatal. I usually get crashes when using shader plug-ins or FPrime, but this way worse.

Could it be the Nvidia card and driver? I'm running 8.5 on 10.4.4 with an ATI card and not getting anywhere near this amount of grief.

ArneK
02-09-2006, 06:00 AM
Actually, FPrime is my lifesaver right now. The only way I can make previews and get rendered out stuff without crashing...

eblu
02-09-2006, 07:21 AM
yeah,
i get everyone of those bugs. frequently.

the only thing that ever helps is reinstalling Lightwave, and it doesn't eliminate the problem, it simply slows it down. but don't worry, it gets worse and worse as you use it.

munky
02-09-2006, 08:07 AM
Hi there,

apart from me only having OSX 10.4.2 I have exactly the same kit as you, but not the same level of problems! Apart from the graph editor crash bug, but that is the same for all versions of osx as far as I know. One thing I do a lot of is fixing my macs permissions especially when I install anything new, but I try to do them once a week. There is a thread about 10.4.4 and problems in this forum that might be of help.

regards

paul

ArneK
02-09-2006, 08:51 AM
Paul, I always repair permissions every time I've installed new software. And every time before and after I make system upgrades. All my other software runs without a hitch - except LW.

This is a major problem to say the least... I've been using LW since v5.6 but the crashing has never been as bad as this.

To date I actually think LW must have been the most unstable app I have ever owned for the Mac. I've been using Mac's for about 14 years now - and that says alot...

I like LW and the way you use it (when it doesn't crash), and I would still like to continue to use it (if it doesn't crash) - but I have a feeling that my 9.0 upgrade (which I already purchased) will be my last ever. 'Cause I can't imagine NewTek hired Merlin the wizard to use his magic to get rid of the Mac bugs in 9.0 once and for all...

A few months ago I started as a student at AnimationMentor.com to study character animation - and had to buy Maya as it is the app of choice at the school. I was a tad sceptic as Maya has had a bad rep on the Mac, but I'm impressed. It has crashed on me once (!) during the past 6 months of intensive use. Nuff said.

C'mon NewTek, I've been patient and loyal to you since v5.6 and I have "spread the gospel" and made others use the software too. But now I'm really losing faith...

Regards,
Arne

erikals
02-09-2006, 04:00 PM
It could be hardware problem (e.g. Ram problem)
latly (basically since 8.5) I've had many crashes, and they seem to sometimes to be related to heavy geometry.

Hard to say what the problem could be, sorry :/

I hear you, suppossedly though LW9 is going to be the most stable version ever. Time will show.

3dworks
02-09-2006, 04:17 PM
Geeez... What's happening here?

I haven't been animating in Lightwave for quite a while and Layout seems to have gone mental since the last time I used it. There have been some OSX upgrades since then (I'm now on 10.4.4), and I have never EVER had a software crash as much on me as LW 8.5 now does...

I make a preview of my animation. Fine. Exit preview...
Blam! LW crashes and disappears...

Moving keyframes or tweaking beziers in Graph Editor...
Blam! LW crashes and disappears.

Rendering using F9...
Blam! LW crashes and disappears (usually)

Rendering a sequence using F10...
Blam! LW crashes and disappears after rendering the final frame...

And the list goes on and on... Can hardly touch a button and LW goes down.

I'm on a G5 dual 2,5 GHz with 6GB RAM, Nvidia 6800 videocard and using OSX 10.4.4, using Lightwave 8.5 build 830 (4. Oct 2005).

I have tried reinstalling, deleting prefs, disabling hub - all the usual tricks, but nothing seems to help. It doesn't matter if I have lo-res objects with no textures, or hi-res objects with loads of textures - it still crashes.

I've also tried turning off the advanced OpenGL options in the Options menu, but this hasn't helped either. And I 'm now getting pretty desperate as I have a deadline for a client and I can't get any work done... help...

i have the same configuration but with low end nvidia card and it runs smoothly. only get some crash at quitting LW after heavy fprime use. so i really could be a hardware issue. so here just a few additional tips. btw. did you also try to run for some time without any third party plugins? did you add the standard plugins individually? sometimes LW just doesn't want to load them.

apart checking RAM, try to do an fsck to your harddisk, maybe there is a disk corruption. another thing (but maybe you already tried) is the good old good parameter ram reset at startup. last thoughts: a defective USB mouse or keyboard, or a corrupted firewire drive.

really wish you the best! :)

markus

paul summers
02-11-2006, 02:06 AM
This is the way things are in Mac lightwave land.

LW is the most unstable app I have ever owned for the Mac

djtoltz
02-11-2006, 06:56 PM
I am experiencing similar problems. They seem to have gotten a lot worse since the upgrade to OS X 10.4.4. If I try to do dynamics, any dynamic effect on even simple, 4 poly plane will crash immediately when I click [calculate].

What I found was that I could still run LW 8.3 pretty well. Fortunately for me, I have a 2nd boot disk that still had LW 8.3, so I set it up to use a different preference folder from 8.5, and I use it when I need to muddle with dynamics, or when 8.5 is killing me.

BTW: I found that when F9 crashes, I can set my render to 1 thread and render on one CPU without a crash. Strangely enough, I later set it back to 4 threads, and it renders again without crashing???

It's official now, that Lightwave 8.5 [Layout] is unusable. I work with another guy using a G5 2.7Ghz dual (the same generation as my 2Ghz dual, but with a different video card), and he has exactly the same problem. He is also running 10.4.4. This is not a hardware problem.

3Dswade
02-13-2006, 10:00 AM
I too am having the same problem. Dual G5 2.5. And called support this is what was told to me. "Lightwave is at the end of their support for 8.5." How do you like that! so inless your willing to get on the 9.0 band wagon their not going to help us!

Otso
02-14-2006, 02:48 AM
[QUOTE=djtoltz] BTW: I found that when F9 crashes, I can set my render to 1 thread and render on one CPU without a crash. Strangely enough, I later set it back to 4 threads, and it renders again without crashing???

Thanks for the tip! That really seems to help!

I actually just joined the LW forums (this is my first posting) because of the constant crashing of LW 8.5, especially when I'm starting a render. It's really awful, as the scenes I have in my current project take usually some 10 minutes to load...

I really really REALLY hope that LW 9.0 is more stable than 8.5.

By the way, I'm also using LW on a PC and there LW usually crashes in the MIDDLE of a render, which is even more fatal as I usually have already gone home when that happens!

Sande
02-14-2006, 11:00 AM
This is the way things are in Mac lightwave land.

LW is the most unstable app I have ever owned for the Mac

Don't worry - things are not any better when running Lightwave from Windows. Lightwave (especially layout) seems to be very unstable, no matter what platform you are using. I hope that the dev team is aware of this (and if they try to use Lightwave even for a day, they pretty certainly are) - no matter what their public relations says...

Stability would increase productivity way more than ngons, edges or any other feature (okay, modeller-OGL speedup would still be nice though) currently promised to be in version 9.

PS. Lightwave at least seems to crash a bit less for me when I only have modeller or layout open - not both at the same time. Unfortunately this is often a bit difficult way to work and the layout still crashes frequently.

PPS. Please don't get me wrong: I really really do like Lightwave and I wait for all the new features in LW9 - but I would just like it so much more if it would be stable... :)

Glendalough
02-14-2006, 01:19 PM
Stability would increase productivity way more than ngons, edges or any other feature (okay, modeller-OGL speedup would still be nice though) currently promised to be in version 9.

Agree with this!

Stability, render speed, and quality (fix those crawling textures) are critical.

Extra features may not be much needed at this stage (who uses the spreadsheet?). Particles, Hypervoxals, etc. as they are at present could all be greatly improved......

Upgraded to 8.3 last May and find it the most stable by a long way of all versions....Think 8.5 may have issues...

Was running 7.5 until then, but this on OS 10.2.8 as Panther had the graph editor crash problem. So have stayed with 10.2.8 much to everyone's derision and find 8.3 very stable....

Get the F9 crash only when I have changed something in a scene and not saved it.

Ron Herrmann
02-20-2006, 01:14 PM
Um, guys, I hope I'm not stating the obvious here. In Tiger, the F9, F10, F11, and F12 keys are mapped for the Operating System to Trigger Exposť and Dashboard.
Unless you've remapped these keys, I believe your going to have some surprises, if not conflicts.

PeteS
02-21-2006, 01:51 PM
I'm having.teh same preview problem..on both my computors!! both G5's w/ 2 gids of ram!!
crashes after i close teh preview..not matter how simple the scene!!

ARRRRGGGHH!!!

Unwanted
02-28-2006, 07:09 AM
{Maya} has crashed on me once (!) during the past 6 months of intensive use. Nuff said.

Nuff said is right.

I experience all that, too. Some things to consider:

FPrime - pause before adding gradients and procedurals, pause before replacing objects, pause before doing anything with hdri, pause, pause, pause and then save before hitting "go"

Hub - complete piece of crap. disable it

preview - no fix

nvidia drivers - crap. something got screwed up with 10.4.3 and hasn't been same since. Many people having kernel panics when working in ogl. Only solution is to either downgrade to 10.4.2 or use Pacifist to extract the nvidia drivers from 10.4.2 and install over the ones in 10.4.5.

PeteS
02-28-2006, 07:39 AM
lol...

well, y our right..i never leave fprime runing if I am addding to teh scene. texure or model....which isn't too bad.

preview...ther is a work around. Though a bit of a pain.
set the frames to be rendered higher than what you need.(ex. you need to frame30-render to frame 50)and then hit teh ESC button BEFFORE it finishes.
The file will be in your program folder and you can open it up there.
When finished, make sure you delete it before you render again...or it will crash!

johnchuray
03-11-2006, 11:17 PM
Me and my 2.3 dual SC/4.5Gb/X800 on 10.4.5 were solid as rock, until I bought that $400 one-trick pony know as fprime. Then, I became like you all. Here's what helped: I started up from my second drive and did the full Disk Utility/permissions repair, plus the full repair and optimization suites from TechToolPro. It took hours, but it my stomach acid levels have dropped significantly. Now, I can modify lighting settings in the Scene Editor while fprime is running, and even quit the app and have my save actually stick! I only did it a few days ago, but I use LW like 24/7 and so far so good-- although I fully expect the progressive degeneration to recur. I wish fprime didn't work so **** good, coz I'd hate it otherwise for how unstable and how Mac-unfriendly it is. I've been tempted to get G2, but not if it's going to compound the problem.

hard8
03-16-2006, 03:20 PM
yeah... what a mess 8.5 is. I can only hope 9 is better, but it really seems to have gone downhill since 7.0.

Layout crashes if you look at it wrong.

I had a dream the other night. I dreamt I was in charge of Newtek. I walked into the development teams office and said "that's it boys(and girls)... No more new features. No more new versions. Lets make our customers happy by releasing a rock solid version of Lightwave."

really folks. I've been a loyal user since version 4, and upgrading is always such a crapshoot with this software. I hate to say it, but I think it might be time to look elsewhere.