PDA

View Full Version : LW: Old and New(?)

SG1
02-09-2006, 03:04 AM
This is a straight forward query, and not intended to start a flame war or anything of the like - so please bear that in mind, lest you think I'm trolling or being inflammatory - which I'm not. And I ask this here, of all places, as I always want to hear from a program's end user, not just what a co. PR dept. says about a product.

a) I've read on several sites comments that seem to indicate that LW has begun to lose its luster, or steam, overall - "showing its age," was overall tone of what I've read.

b) I've also read that things that used to be in LW are now being doled out separately as modules, that you must buy, or at least download.

So, for those of you now using LW, and who've kept up with the upgrades - are above comments, in general, true? Not true? (I ask as I'm shopping, to upgrade an old 3D app & again, I always want to hear from those who've put their money down for a program: and, would you buy it again, if you had to do it over? The proof is in the pudding, as the saying goes).

Thanks for any replies, info in general.
SG1 (Pat)

Lightwolf
02-09-2006, 03:45 AM
a) I've read on several sites comments that seem to indicate that LW has begun to lose its luster, or steam, overall - "showing its age," was overall tone of what I've read.

I'd agree to a certain limit as far as LW 8.x is concerned. It seems that 9.0 will be a nice step forward though, so I'd hold my judgement until 9.0 is released.
Mind you, LW still has a couple of nice features that the competition is missing (and vice versa).

b) I've also read that things that used to be in LW are now being doled out separately as modules, that you must buy, or at least download.

Nope, more like the opposite. There have been some free third party products made available to registered users in the past, but they've never been a part of LW.
A lot of previously third party stuff keeps slipping into LW though (something that happens with all 3D packages it seems).

Cheers,
Mike

Dodgy
02-09-2006, 05:10 AM
While 8 did lag behind in getting new innovative features, this was mainly because of the old dev team leaving and a new one getting on board. The new team has been rewriting the core of LW to bring it bang up to date which will give 9 a much more powerful and more easily updateable centre.

Mostly 8 brought in a lot of 3rd party plugins and not the other way round :)

Wonderpup
02-09-2006, 05:48 AM
Hi SG1,

I would wait for the lightwave 9 feature list, which should be posted soon now, before making any decisions. As far as the splitting thing is concerned I would say Lightwave is moving the other way, with more features being added to the base.

habaņero
02-09-2006, 07:15 AM
It'd be interesting to know who your sources are. So I can slit their throats in the dark ... well not, but they are spreading false information.

It could be argued that some important functionality in LW is found in commercial plugins that you need to buy, but then in other packages you have to buy the 10 000 $ licences to get the same functionality, if it exists.

The new code base in LW is modularized, which means that the render related code will be in one place, dynamics in one place, scene editor in one place etc etc. This is a great advantage in all ends, it will likely open up for more 3rd part render options, platform/processor optimized builds of the native renderer, enable far more powerful scripting and generally be good for optimization all over.

I very highly doubt Newtek would change the licensing in the direction you mention, although there are talk of a light version for hobbyists.

BeeVee
02-11-2006, 03:17 AM
Hi SG1,

It's also worth pointing out that if you have a licence of LightWave, whether it be the absolute current version 8.5, or a copy of 5 gathering dust in a cupboard that you haven't used for ages, the upgrade to LightWave 9 still costs the same. We don't do the "older version = more expensive upgrade" thing.

B