PDA

View Full Version : PPC 970 report now online

wizlon
05-15-2003, 11:46 AM
for those of you interested (Beam), www.arstechnica.com have there massive in-depth article about the PPC 970 online, it's a big one 11000+ words! but a very interesting read.

tallscot
05-15-2003, 05:46 PM
It sure does counter those fake benchmarks we saw. Seem they think it will be as fast as the current Pentium 4, except for specific things, much like it is right now.

If it only catches up to the Pentium 4 and doesn't blow it away, there still will be a lot of people who won't be able to justify the much higher price of a Mac over PC hardware.

But if a dual 1.8 Ghz 970 PowerMac is priced at what a dual G4 is right now, about $3K, and it's as fast as a dual 3 Ghz Xeon, that would be a competitive price since dual 3 Ghz Xeons are expensive.

I wish I had a time machine!!!!

Beamtracer
05-16-2003, 01:20 AM
The jury is still out as to how fast this processor will be. It'll certainly be much faster than the current G4. Plus, it sounds like improvements in Apple's motherboards will also make a big difference.

Don't forget that the article states that Apple could implement Quad processors very nicely with the IBM processor.

js33
05-16-2003, 01:30 AM
Beam,

I thought you were going to lose the tag lines?
Anyway, this processor better be a P4/Athlon killer or Apple/IBM will be playing catch up as soon as it comes out.

Although a reasonably priced quad would be nice.

Cheers,
JS

Lynx3d
05-16-2003, 04:19 AM
Hm PC guys think in GHz, MAC guys in CPUs huh? :D
I don't think there will be something like a "reasonably priced quad" anytime soon on this planet...
Apart from that just putting more CPUs in a machine doesn't cut it either, it may be usefull for rendering or heavy data-/webserver activity, but it's not as easy to write thread-save code that performs well, like many seem to believe.

But i don't think it will take 4 CPUs to make the PPC970 competitive...

tallscot
05-16-2003, 08:40 AM
There was a quad Mac clone - I think the Starmax, or Genesis?