PDA

View Full Version : Polycount in Modeler vs Layout

DavidL
02-08-2006, 03:53 PM
I never realized there could be such a difference in the polygon count from modeler to layout as I never usually check the count in layout. I have a realitively "simple" model of about 1,000 polys. I brought it into Layout and it shot up to around 18,000. I lowered the subdivision level (visible not render) and saw the polycount go way down. So my question is:
1) when people refer to polycount of a model, is it in modeler or layout. At first, I'd assume modeler as it's the model, but then it's not really done until it's textured in layout.

Thanks,
David

jeremyhardin
02-08-2006, 04:18 PM
Modeler polycount unless otherwise specified. It only goes up in layout with SubDivision Surfaces, which aren't always used.

DavidL
02-08-2006, 06:39 PM
Thanks for the answer.

Is there a generally accepted polycount limit in LW? Or a number to stay under so your system still works.

jeremyhardin
02-08-2006, 08:00 PM
It really depends on ram. on 64 bit systems you can do a LOT more in either modeler or layout.

I've got a gig of ram, and I really don't notice an upper limit in modeler perse. I usually don't have more than a 1million visible at a time without pretty hefty slowdowns. SubD's slow things down a bit too more in modeler too.

In layout, i can comfortably get to 2 - 3 million.

these figures are off the top of my head, but that's what I remember them being I think.

but lot's of factors speed up and slow things down more than polygon count.

loki74
02-08-2006, 10:48 PM
It really depends on ram. on 64 bit systems you can do a LOT more in either modeler or layout.

I've got a gig of ram, and I really don't notice an upper limit in modeler perse. I usually don't have more than a 1million visible at a time without pretty hefty slowdowns. SubD's slow things down a bit too more in modeler too.

In layout, i can comfortably get to 2 - 3 million.

these figures are off the top of my head, but that's what I remember them being I think.

but lot's of factors speed up and slow things down more than polygon count.

I have a question that isnt exactly on topic, but it is kind of: do you think one of those factors could be the OpenGL in Modeler vs Layout (noting the disparity in polycount)? I guess what I'm fishing for is... you think that'll be better in LW9??

jeremyhardin
02-09-2006, 12:57 AM
yes it's partially related to different handling in how opengl works too.

i'm not a beta tester of 9 though, so i'll be seeing with everyone else if this is improved. ;)