PDA

View Full Version : Linux, has everyone given up?

wellsichris
02-08-2006, 04:20 PM
I have been trying to setup some linux rendernodes. I have screamer net setup on windows. Now I'm trying to see if a Linux render farm is an option. I know lwsn was ported to linux, but all the tutorial sites are down. searching the forums, i found 3 tutorial sites but all are down, and probably have been for some time.

anyway at work we are looking at seting up a linux render farm for other software. and I want to be able to take advantage of it with lightwave.

has anyone had any luck and if so what are the steps. this would basically be a complete linux setup. linux server, and linux render nodes. well lightwave scenes would be created in windows.

any help would be great.

thanks
chris

Exception
02-09-2006, 08:32 PM
I'd love to help you but I can't, so ill just bump the message for your sake. You get to thank me with another message to bump it again to prevent me from getting offended for not thanking me : )

Celshader
02-09-2006, 08:56 PM
I've never set up a Linux renderfarm, but I know of a site that might help you find tutorials that have disappeared from the Internet:
http://www.archive.org

This website archives web pages, and if you know the exact URL, you can look it up in their "Wayback Machine" to view the last known copy of that web page.

Here is a Linux renderfarm tutorial stored on the Wayback Machine:
http://tinyurl.com/bez57

See if the "Wayback Machine" has archives for the other Linux-tutorial sites that are down.

wellsichris
02-09-2006, 11:24 PM
thanks Celshader and Exception. I didn't know about archive sites. I'll have to see which ones I can scrounge up.

thanks for the help
chris

djtoltz
02-10-2006, 08:33 PM
I got LWSN running on Linux, after hunting down the LWSN that was shipped with LW 7.5. First, the LWSN couldn't cope with the Mac paths; or so it seemed. After writing a script to locate and correct the paths to match the Linux paths with forward slashes, etc., the renderer would actually render frames, report that it was saving them, but would never actually write out a file. I checked file permissions, and searched for help on-line, but everything I found indicated the people could not get it to work. Newtek has been silent. I am hoping that LW 9 ships with a Linux renderer. If you get it to work, I'd love to hear about it.

The only good news I have is that several people have gotten the Win32 version of LWSN to run in WINE under Linux. If this interests you, search for LWSN and WINE on Google. I think you'll find some tips. As long as you have WINE working, and the network shares setup, it should be equivalent to rendering on Win32.

wellsichris
02-10-2006, 10:18 PM
yeah I was playing with it for a couple of hours last night and didn't have much luck. it was more problems with linux. I didn't even get to messing with lwsn. some reason mounting a network drive was being more difficult than normal. anyway let me know if you have any luck aswell.

chris

habaņero
02-11-2006, 01:20 PM
I think the main problem is that you can't run any compiled plugins. I also seem to remember there are issues with file savers, that you have a very limited amount of options though that could be wrong.

The wine option seems the logical choice, I don't know about overhead from the emulation but there should be some gain to running the thing without a OS gui that could compensate, particularly for the available amount of memory.

What Linux is you on?

Phil
02-14-2006, 11:06 AM
Your best option is to run the Windows LWSN program under Wine. This unfortunately adds a need to run X11 on each render node, but you can drop a very lightweight interface on there (not GNOME or KDE). All you want to be able to do is to launch an xterm so that you can run the LWSN node via wine in the console - just put wine in front your regular LWSN command line and it should work (if not, try quotes). This also gives you all your Windows plugins back as well :)

Despite various comments in the past, there still seems to be no real interest at NewTek in properly supporting linux users. *shrug* It's their right, but it is disappointing.

wellsichris
02-14-2006, 12:06 PM
thanks for everyone getting back to me on this. I am still playing with it but from what i have seen and your help looks like wine is the best option.

thanks
chris

Riplakish
03-06-2006, 08:26 PM
Your best option is to run the Windows LWSN program under Wine. This unfortunately adds a need to run X11 on each render node, but you can drop a very lightweight interface on there (not GNOME or KDE). All you want to be able to do is to launch an xterm so that you can run the LWSN node via wine in the console - just put wine in front your regular LWSN command line and it should work (if not, try quotes). This also gives you all your Windows plugins back as well :)

Despite various comments in the past, there still seems to be no real interest at NewTek in properly supporting linux users. *shrug* It's their right, but it is disappointing.

Actually, you only need to install the X libraries for wine. You don't even need to set up a desktop on all the machines. Just use ssh to open Xterms back to a fully configured display. LWSN.EXE, itself, will run in a "Graphical text mode" inside the window.

Works like a champ once its running.

dulo
09-11-2012, 08:59 AM
Just installed Lightwave 11.3 x64 under wine 1.5.12 on gentoo and nearly everything worked out of the box. the hub gives some troubles and the color picker had to be switched to the lw one. Modeler and Layout worded really well and our screamer net renderfarm is on gentoo linux for over a year now.
Screamer net is about 30% !!!!! faster on wine than on native windows 7 or windows 8 ( the more cores are in the nodes the higher the performance gain compared to windows ). In the screenshot you see VPR with Opengl overlay. Everything worked first try without any handcrafting ..

cagey5
09-11-2012, 01:05 PM
Looking good. Your screenshot shows it running in discovery mode, which is the stage I have got to previously. I'm guessing you are able to run in full mode?

Red_Oddity
09-11-2012, 05:15 PM
I've never gotten anything that requires a Sentinel Pro dongle to work in Wine, even with Etersoft and Sentinel Linux drivers and daemons installed.

Now, for render slaves this isn't a problem, but for using Linux as a workstation for use with Lightwave, the reliance on the Sentinel dongle will always be a problem (yes even with the new licensing lwk system i haven't gotten it work.)

Phil
09-12-2012, 07:20 AM
The new licensing system requires certain support from newer versions of Windows, so it might be a while until Wine adds that support (assuming it can). I was under the impression that there was a way to persuade newer versions of Wine, specifically on Linux, to work with the dongle, though. I had this in my bookmarks : lwonlinux.oleeblood.com

Does this no longer work?

Dexter2999
09-12-2012, 11:55 AM
Anyone here try it using a HASP dongle dump?

Red_Oddity
09-12-2012, 02:30 PM
Haven't tried that, using RHEL/CentOS though, not Ubuntu.

I could see if i can get it to run whit the USB patches, haven't tried that one yet

dulo
09-24-2012, 04:16 AM
The new licensing system requires certain support from newer versions of Windows, so it might be a while until Wine adds that support (assuming it can). I was under the impression that there was a way to persuade newer versions of Wine, specifically on Linux, to work with the dongle, though. I had this in my bookmarks : lwonlinux.oleeblood.com

Does this no longer work?
It should still work but I couldnt make it work under gentoo cause of the precompiled dongle parts .. but it worked under debian ..

cagey5
03-12-2013, 02:36 PM
With Modo going Linux compatible, will this increase the likelihood of Lightwave following suit? The only reason I boot Windows now is to run Lightwave and I hate doing so..

Celshader
03-12-2013, 03:19 PM
With Modo going Linux compatible, will this increase the likelihood of Lightwave following suit?

No pressure until Autodesk releases a Linux version of 3ds Max. ;)

Lewis
03-12-2013, 04:00 PM
No pressure until Autodesk releases a Linux version of 3ds Max. ;)

Why do we always have to be LAST :D?

Celshader
03-12-2013, 04:12 PM
Why do we always have to be LAST :D?

No worries there -- I don't think Autodesk will ever release a Linux or Mac version of 3ds Max. ;)

Lewis
03-12-2013, 04:19 PM
No worries there -- I don't think Autodesk will ever release a Linux or Mac version of 3ds Max. ;)

We have saying "Never say NEVER" ;).

Aquarian
03-18-2013, 11:52 AM
Linux has been in use in Hollywood since the mid-late 90s and I'm sure it's stronger now than ever so it would only make sense to plan on supporting it. With the release of Windows 8 I think it's clear Microsoft isn't targeting production environments anymore, rather they are going after consumer tablets and/or users who use their PC to check facebook 90% of the time. Having moved production workers (albeit not in the FX industry) from windows version to windows version since about the Win 2000 pro days, I've seen a lot of pain and frustration users have when switching to new windows versions. Often users spend more time fighting with the new OS than getting their work done and with the Win 8 release I am actually seriously concerned about the future of windows for production and for the time being am refusing to put users on Windows 8 machines.

I'm not saying that because I (and a good deal of other people in the IT industry) really hate windows 8 and find it extremely user unfriendly Newtek should support Linux, but I do believe that in the coming years many people across the board (especially production workers) will seek alternatives to Windows and I think it would be a wise move. The ill-fated CORE had Linux releases so I don't think it's out of the question and I think that supporting Linux will soon have marketing value, so for now I have high hopes of the LW group releasing Linux builds someday soon, maybe in the 12.x days. Unity 4 publishes to Linux, Steam runs on Linux now, 3D Coat, Maya & Modo have Linux builds, are we are seeing a trend here?

In the meantime I'll have to try 11.5 with wine, I could not get LW 10.x to work very well with wine and although I've not tried any of the 11.x releases maybe now that with 11.5 LW no longer requires dongles it will be more wine friendly. The other hold I have on windows is running the Unity 3D editor with wine, last time I tried it didn't work. I truly hope that Windows' days are limited even if it's an impossible dream, but Linux really is a better OS, better design, more stable, faster, open-ended, (I'm not even going to mention free because, as nice as that is, it's not why I prefer Linux) and I think eventually those qualities will win out over the market share behemoth of Microsoft, and we'll see Linux with a substantial percentage of production use in "mainstream" computing.

COBRASoft
03-18-2013, 12:23 PM
People often forget that Linux might be free, the people offering support for businesses are not. IBM earns a LOT of money these days providing Linux business support all over the world.

I've heard the Linux news since the beginning (I was still on Amiga back then). Today, it's hardly mainstream in offices. It's used in Germany, a bit in France, but the rest of Europe? While windows 8 might not be the best thing ever, it works and it works quite fast too. People want MS Office and this works on Mac and Windows, no Linux (yet). All the alternatives are... well... alternatives and not the real thing. OpenOffice is full of bugs and gives my only customer using it more headaches than results.

I see a growing market for HTML where the OS or platform is of no concern anymore. It will take some time before programs like lightwave will be ported to 'webbrowser' versions, but I'm confident it is coming.

Celshader
03-18-2013, 12:38 PM
I truly hope that Windows' days are limited even if it's an impossible dream, but Linux really is a better OS, better design, more stable, faster, open-ended...

How's OpenGL on Linux? I know GL started on SGIs, but I could've sworn I heard that Windows had the best OpenGL support between Windows, Macs and Linux.

Red_Oddity
03-18-2013, 03:44 PM
It depends on what system and what program you test.
When it comes to gaming, CryEngine 3 runs really good on Linux, other game engines are a mixed bag.
When it comes to programs, Maya runs good enough on our workstations running OpenGL in CentOs 6.3 (sometimes even faster than Windows for that matter) with the latest Nvidia drivers (custom compile, the repo versions always seem to be very outdated.)
Overall in my experience, the OpenGL performance in Windows is still the best, but i have a very limited collection of OpenGL programs to test with.

Phil
04-01-2013, 07:08 PM

Various versions of max will actually run under Wine under Linux and OS X. Activation is problematic because of gaps in the functionality that Autodesk rely on in the activation dialogs. DRM, it seems, is a large part of the issue.

Autodesk don't really seem to have a platform strategy. They have Maya on 3 platforms, Softimage on 2 (MainWin doesn't like OS X, it seems) and 3dsmax on a single platform. They had MotionBuilder on two platforms for a little while and then killed off the Mac version. Meanwhile, they actually brought AutoCAD back to OS X. It's just bizarre.

allabulle
04-11-2013, 08:09 PM
I don't think porting LightWave to GNU/Linux is the main issue. Supporting it is. Look at all the mac specific bugs, etc... To have another flavour of LightWave means more manpower. So if they are not willing to hire, we probably won't see a native GNU/Linux LightWave. Even if they manage to make a special adaptation of WINE to run LightWave (Fusion does that, if I'm not mistaken) there's the installation, the different configuration needs, etc... you need to be able to support the platform. They need to see how to organize themselves and how to profit from it. If they don't see it, it won't happen. And, at this point, sadly, they seem a bit blind on this matter.

Again, I don't really think it's technically that problematic, the resources needed to make it viable once it's done (and while it's in developement) are the thing.

That being said, I don't have a clue of what I'm talking about. LW3DGroup does, though, and they won't say a word. We'll see, then (or not). A pity. The Foundry's Modo on GNU/Linux is turning heads. Mine too.

Celshader
04-11-2013, 08:38 PM
Best reason to port LightWave to Linux: Windows 8 scares (http://www.itworld.com/software/224533/windows-8-10-biggest-problems-so-far) me.

;)

paulhart
04-11-2013, 10:27 PM
Celshader, Hello...
Windows7 64Pro is the place to be, don't even go near Windows8. I have played with it on family stations, not mine, but have Win7 64Pro on all of my work stations, doing fine.
Paul