PDA

View Full Version : Rendering TIme Help - PLEASE!

DHudson
02-08-2006, 09:23 AM
Hello! I am pretty new at Lightwave. What I need to render are two connected rooms, empty of anything except wood mouldings (crown moulding, floor moulding...). The project is to go on the web as a Flash to show off the wood mouldings for a lumber company.

The wood mouldings come to me in Adobe Illustrator files that are life-sized. So if the moulding is 4" tall in real life, it also is in the AI file.

Because of this, I have made the 2 connected rooms "life sized".

My question is this - is the size of the rooms the reason it is taking soooo long to render? I have over 300 mouldings to render and it will take me years at this rate.

(I'm sure the fact that I am using a PowerPC Mac with only 450 MHz and 576 MB SDRAM probably isn't helping)

I have attached a screen shot so you can see where I am.

Thank you!

BazC
02-08-2006, 11:00 AM
No I don't think the size of the models has anything to do with the render time. My guess is you have a very high polygon count from those moldings? It's really best if you give more info about your scene though.

What is your polygon count? How many lights are you using and what sort are they? Are you using Radiosity? What sort and what settings. Are you using transparency and or reflection? How big are your renders and what are your antialiasing settings? What about textures? How many and how big are they?

All these things have a major impact on render times.

"I'm sure the fact that I am using a PowerPC Mac with only 450 MHz and 576 MB SDRAM probably isn't helping"

Er, no, probably not lol! :D

DHudson
02-08-2006, 12:46 PM
Thank you for your response.

I have 31,191 Polygons. There are 3 area lights and 4 point lights, no radiosity (should I? I am new at this still) and in camera properties, I set the resolution mulitiplier to 25% with antialiasing off, just so I wouldn't have to wait forever to see a single rendering.

I am using transparency and reflection on the glass panes in the windows. And there is reflection on the door knob, 2 ceiling lamp bases and the wood floor.

I have a photo texture for the wood floor and for the "scenery" outside of the two windows.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated!

BazC
02-08-2006, 01:26 PM
I'm fairly new to Lightwave myself but I'll make a few suggestions, hopefully someone more expert than me will be along to help!

First off your scene doesn't sound as though it should take too long but you can certainly speed it up! 3 area lights may be a bit much, area lights render slower than any other kind so try changing 2 (or even all 3!) of them to spots, distant or point lights. I think spots are the fastest. Turn off reflection and transparency for now and try another render and see if it's much quicker. If it is you may need to tweak your settings.

If you can get the results you want without radiosity don't use it! Radiosity will increase your render times by quite a bit!

Hope that helps a little! - Baz

DHudson
02-08-2006, 02:59 PM
Hey Baz=
Love your icon and thank you for your help. I will do as you suggest.

Much appreciated! :)

loki74
02-08-2006, 11:00 PM
If youre using ray-traced transparency/reflection and you need them in there, you should try decreasing the ray recursion limit. It defaults to 16, but that is excessive IMO. I typically use 4 and things look fine.

For items that wont be view up close you could decrease the Subdivision level.

How long exactly is each frame taking?

Mylenium
02-08-2006, 11:02 PM
Hey Baz=

Most likely it's the glass in front of your camera - since it is in full frame all the time, it will have a noticeable impact on rendering all the other stuff. Transparencies are the most critical part in any rendering process. Also check your Ray Recursion depth. The default 16 is way to much, in such simple scenes 4-6 will be enough.

Mylenium

LMUSIC
02-08-2006, 11:25 PM
following up on Mylenium's comment - Is it acceptable to stage your scene so the camera is just inside the window instead of outside looking in?

DHudson
02-09-2006, 12:24 PM
For what I have to do, I am am definitely moving the camera into the room. Anything I can do to speed up rendering time I will do, except take away from the quality of the final product, of course.

:D

DHudson
02-09-2006, 12:49 PM
How long exactly is each frame taking?

Loki74- With the resolution mulitiplier set at 25% with antialiasing off, it is taking me 1 min. 11 sec to render one frame.

Of course, what I need is the resolution set at 400%, and the antialiasing set at enhanced medium.

BazC
02-09-2006, 01:13 PM
Hey Baz=

You're very welcome! Actually your rendertime doesn't sound too bad! What size image do you want to produce in pixels? Print resolution renders take time, I work mainly for print and my renders frequently take hours!

DHudson
02-09-2006, 04:28 PM
Actually, with help of you gurus, about 9 minutes have been taken off of the rendering time. So - thank you.

As far as pixels go, I'm trying to get an image about 1800 x 1800 pixels with 300 pixels/inch.