PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Building CPU for Lightwave 8 and beyond

RegGFX
02-07-2006, 11:49 PM
Hi all...
I'm a long time user of lightwave and now it has come time for me to build or order a new CPU to handle Lightwave 8
Because i'm on a very limited budget, i will be building a barebones system and put what i can in it power Lightwave 8 and beyond.

Lets just say i'm trying to build a sturdy 3D CPU.

I would like the forum to suggest what system requirements they have found helpful?
Here is what i need to know

Motherboard - ?
CPU Chip AMD or INTEL (Note i'll probably go with AMD cause of my budget)
Ram -?
Videocard -?
etc.

I've built my systems in the past and they've all served their purpose. Now i'm building another for LW 8 and beyond.

So please RSVP...

Stooch
02-08-2006, 08:36 AM
Motherboard: any Nforce 4 ultra.
Go with socket 939 (or 940, 940 is more future proof. but 939 has alot of potential too.) i got the ABIT

AMD cpu obviusly. you have a huge choice here, so just spend as much as you can afford. (x2 cpus are nice)

ram, get 2 gigs but keep a slot open for 1 more gig just in case. i use corsair

video, any good 3d accelerator, lw doesnt really use the power of 3d acceleration so dont go all out. im using a passively cooled radeon.

oh yeah, dont skimp on the powersupply or you will be sorry. i recommend a nice 500w seasonic. almost inaudible. stable. efficient.

By the way.

do some research if you are on a budget. it seems that people still have the perception that AMD is a better bargain but its really not.

look into a p4xeon system, running at 3.2ghz. check out the benchmarks and find a comparable AMD system in LW, you will be surprised.

im still recommending an AMD system just because of the upgradeability with all the dual core chips...but dont assume p4 is more $$$ for the bang.

RegGFX
02-08-2006, 10:58 AM
Thanks Stooch for the reply
I at least have a starting point. I was surprised i'm getting little feed back about this so i appreciate your input and have noted your advice.

I'm building my pc from the BareBones Section at following site http://www.greatpcsonline.com/products.aspx?category_dept=190&category_ID=190

Let me know if anyone knows of a better place to custom build or order an "affordable" custom system.

Thanks again for your reply.

Input from Other forum members are still welcome.

Stooch
02-08-2006, 11:14 AM
i like monarch computer and newegg. monarch for prebuilt, newegg for parts.

at work its boxx.

RegGFX
02-08-2006, 12:23 PM
AWSOME....
I went to their web site... very nice affordable prices

Suggestion Noted...

JCG
02-08-2006, 01:23 PM
Just a quick note about 940 being more future proof. The new AMD 940 pin socket (socket M2, I think) will not be pin compatible with the current 940 pin sockets.

Mha8649
02-08-2006, 02:43 PM
If your only going to use it for rendering then I would go to one of the fx chips from amd if your going to use it for multiple apps I would go with the amd x2 4800 that way you can browse online while your waiting for your renders to complete.As for gfx card for render only an nvidia quadro if you want it for games and everything else then a 7800 will work fine also.as for ram as much as you can afford if you plan on using the 64bit if 32 I would go with 2gigs....Im still new to lightwave but I've used alot of other 3d apps and this would be the way to go for me.

RegGFX
03-08-2006, 12:23 PM
Thanks everyone for your suggestions.... I plan on building my upgraded system (on a tight budget) in the next few months :agree:

AbnRanger
03-08-2006, 11:52 PM
Thanks everyone for your suggestions.... I plan on building my upgraded system (on a tight budget) in the next few months :agree:
Whether you get AMD or Intel...do yourself a HUGE favor and go Dual-Core. It's roughly the equivalent to having an extra rendering node...without having to buy all the other hardware that would go with it. You also save floorspace and wattage. Rendering is where Dual-Core is King....Even the FX series chips are now Dual-Core...starting with FX 60 (fastest chip on the market)

mattclary
03-09-2006, 05:10 AM
Go with a dual core CPU. You can get Intel dual cores cheaper than AMD, but AMDs are faster (this month).

Go with the most expensive consumer level nVidia card you can afford, a Quadro is wasted on LightWave.

Edit:
You might want to go look at this:
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47511