PDA

View Full Version : sharp corner to round corner question.

punisher2005
02-07-2006, 02:03 PM
I'm new to lightwave/3d modeling in general and I'm wondering if there is a way (preferably easy) to change a sharp 90 degree corner into a rounded corner.
I tried boolean and drilling, but they don't sem to work (unless I am doing something wrong).

I have attached a file to see what I mean.

The object already has depth and is not flat.

Speaking of which, assuming I have something that already has depth, is there a way to convert it into a flat object?

Hardwater
02-07-2006, 03:25 PM
Use the tool "rounder" under "multiply". First select the edge you want to round by vertices/points. So select the 2 points that make up the edge shown in the image and hit the rounder tool. click and drag in any viewport to apply tool and have the numeric panel open(button is at the bottom menu). In the panel you can choose how many segments in your "rounded" edge, distance from selected edge and more.

I would search this tool in the help manual and learn all the options.

punisher2005
02-07-2006, 03:36 PM
Just tried that and I'm getting an error:

Zero length vector - polygon points coincident (E402)

Did a search and 1 topic came up, but no answer for the cause.

Tim Parsons
02-07-2006, 03:55 PM
Its important for Rounder to have good clean geometry. Be sure to merge m points before using Rounder. Also get in the habit of checking your Sel: field in the lower left-hand side of your interface for the number of points or polys you have selected. For instance you may assume that you just have two points selected making up your edge when in reality you have four, this area will tell you exactly.

Tim

kiwi dave
02-07-2006, 07:40 PM
The easiest way might be to redraw your square and using the numeric panel add edges to round off the corner.

Then use your stretch tool to sharpen the edges you wish to remain box-like.

Hardwater
02-07-2006, 08:30 PM
Make sure your object is closed, no open edges. Just for testing, make a basic box and round one edge(2points) with rounder, should work.

Now try deleting a poly from the box, making an open edge. now select an edge that hits the open edge and use rounder. The error should come up.

Jim

Silkrooster
02-07-2006, 11:40 PM
There are multiple ways to create rounded corners. If all else fails, take an extruded disk and boolean subtract a side of a cube. This is now a template. Take the template and boolean subtract your object. Make sure the cube is large enough to remove all unwanted material from your object. Also after every boolean subtration merge your points.
Silk

prospector
02-08-2006, 12:56 AM
here's 1 way

prospector
02-08-2006, 12:56 AM
and another

punisher2005
02-08-2006, 12:29 PM
First off, thanks for all the replies!

Just to clarify, the actual item I was working on wasn't a box, but a logo that a co-worker decided, after the logo was extruded, that rounded corners would look better.

I did notice that when I picked a corner to round that it was coming up as 3 points instead of 2, so I tried the merge tool on one set and the weld tool on another set. Neither solved the problem.

I did end up fixing it by going into the top down view and deleting all of the extruded points and making it flat again. After this, I noticed that ALL of my "flat" points were coming up as 2 points, so I merged the whole thing and checked the points one by one. They all came back as one point and I started rounded the singlepoints, then extruded it again. It worked for most of it, but I did have to re-create one section because once I extruded it it came back were 2 points that weren't supposed to be connected "seemed" to be. (Think of the letter E, where, instead of a space between the top and middle horizontal line, the top and middle were connected so that it was solid).

Is there a way to change the way points connect to each other after the fact? Is there a way to add points to the middle of a segment and have them connect to an object?

Silkrooster
02-08-2006, 03:27 PM
In the case the letter E, do a test render as that could be an openGL issue. For placing a point between 2 others on an edge, select the 2 points and use the divide tool, this will place a point dead center of the 2 selected.
Silk

loki74
02-08-2006, 11:53 PM
When I bevel edges, I prefer to add geometry using the knife tool or (if it is not perfectly straight) the BandSaw tool, making a cut very very close to the edge. When you SubD, it will appear beveled. The closer to the edge the cut gets, the sharper the corner will be.

I also remember reading about some sort of bevel shader... not sure how well it works tho.

This could be done entirely with edge wights in 9 i think. Gawsh I cannot wait.

colkai
02-09-2006, 04:34 AM
An alternative I use a heck ofa lot is ume_polyfan, from (who else), pictrix
http://www.pictrix.jp/lw/PolyFan/index.html
totall indispensable. :D

monfoodoo
04-09-2006, 10:54 PM
Jetto Filet is the tool for this. Scott