PDA

View Full Version : Why higher # passes faster?

Johnny
02-07-2006, 07:38 AM
I resumed work on a scene recently, which I'd previously worked with AA at Classic Medium. I felt I didn't need that much AA, so I changed it to Classic Low, hit F9, and the very same frame under identical circumstances (nothing going on in the background) took twice as long to render!

It's always been my experience that increasing the level of AA will INcrease the render time, not decrease it. I actually prefer how the render looks using Classic Low, but since I'm going to be animating, I'm not crazy about the double render times.

Any ideas on what's going on here? I'm using Mac on LW, but I can't imagine why that would explain why a doubling of render time with a lessening of AA passes.

thanks!

J

Mr_Bester
02-07-2006, 08:27 AM
Maybe you added dithered Motion Blur or used a different reconstruction method. I don't think it is likely to get slower with lower AA.
Dug

Johnny
02-07-2006, 09:08 AM
Maybe you added dithered Motion Blur or used a different reconstruction method. I don't think it is likely to get slower with lower AA.
Dug

See, that's the confusing part: I didn't change *anything* other than the AA quality.

I tried this 2 or 3 times just to make sure I was actually seeing what I was seeing.

J

Mr_Bester
02-07-2006, 11:00 AM
No clues then, you might want to see if anyone in the mac forum has found this. I haven't on the pc side.
dug

Weepul
02-07-2006, 01:19 PM
Doesn't make sense to me either. Could you perhaps post the scene in question?