PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave to Ogre Exporter finally ready !

PierreBlanc
02-06-2006, 07:16 AM
Hey,

I finally released my Lightwave to Ogre Meshes, Animations and Scene Exporter for the Ogre3D rendering engine.

Please follow this link to learn about it.

http://www.ogre3d.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=17219

I hope you will enjoy it.

P.

Lamont
02-06-2006, 01:44 PM
h3lls yeah I will enjoy it!!

Ade
02-12-2006, 09:31 PM
Im reading this now...
How hard is it for a 3d artist to use ogre with no game programming experience?

Lamont
02-12-2006, 10:31 PM
You'll need a programmer to compile the engine in order to run it.

jasonwestmas
02-13-2006, 06:21 PM
Yes, you'll need a programmer to put together anything that is meant to be run in a game engine. Thanks for this exporter Pierre, the more options the better!

PierreBlanc
02-14-2006, 12:36 PM
Thanks.

@ Ade : Ogre is at the same time powerfull and easy to use, but it's a graphic API, you need to know how to program to use it. It's written in C++ and there are Python and C# with .net wrappers if you prefer these languages.

Like you can read on Ogre forums, I'm afraid the plugin only work with 8.5. I'll solve that as soon as I go back home.

Emmanuel
02-23-2006, 02:13 PM
My programming buddy and I are planning our next title after the one we make right now, and it shall be an old fashioned, commercial point-and-click adventure with loads of humour and memorable cast.
Since the uber-scuccessful german adventure "Ankh" was made with OGRE, I wonder if You guys have some tips for a LW-orientated workflow ?
Beeing an artist, I would love to do almost everything in LW, which means, build all the sets, characters and objects and use stand-ins for trigger zones.
So I would love to build one background in LW,UV it, texture and light it, bake the lighting to the textures and add the zones and trigger objects, then export everything from Layout to the OGRE format...and then ? Can it be done that way or what do I need else ?

Lamont
02-23-2006, 03:35 PM
I don't see why not.

gjjackson
02-24-2006, 09:06 AM
Is there someplace to get the compiled Ogre for win32 that is.

Emmanuel
02-26-2006, 10:06 AM
I don't see why not.

I have actually never worked with such things, so far I know the dotscene format is some sort of XML file that references items.
Yet, I would have to use an external level/map editor to actually create the sets for our characters act in.Right ?
Or could I actually build all the sets in LightWave and how do I set trigger zones, how do make objects "work" and all that stuff.
From my understanding, what I do not need is an external lightmapper, cause I can bake the lightmaps right there in LW.
Apart from that, the exporter seems not yet to support things like transparency, luminosity, reflection...so I wonder if we couldn't just do it in Blitz3D or wait til the BlitzMax 3D module is available...or use something like the 3D Gamestudio from Conitec.
For an engine that has been in the making for quite some while the Ogre3D feels a bit lacking in the tools area (of course Max and Maya tools are always amongst the first to appear :grumpy: )

dtkalcec
03-12-2006, 02:38 PM
As far as I know, Ogre is an API, not a set of tools. It is there to make the job of a programmer easier, but it can not be used like 3D GameStudio to build a game without programming knowledge.

You can't take the Ogre source code, compile it into an executable and work with it as you would with 3D Game Studio to build your game. You need to use the code to write (programmer's job) your own tools and/or the game.

If I wasn't clear enough ... Ogre is something that a programmer can take, learn how to use and start writing a game using C++ or some other programming language. It takes a lot of learning and a lot of C++ programming before anything resembling a game comes out.

phillydee
03-13-2006, 11:44 AM
This looks great!

Lamont
03-13-2006, 04:05 PM
It's a really nice tool. I am pretty much done with contract work at home till the fall. I can now dive into it more, and learn about it.

dj_faceplant
06-26-2006, 05:48 AM
Is it just me, but I can't seem to get the link to work.. Looks like the originator Website for the download is missing.. hmm..

Lamont
06-26-2006, 04:43 PM
I just checked and it works fine.

Adrian Lopez
06-26-2006, 05:44 PM
I just checked and it works fine.
We're talking about Pierre's website rather than the Ogre forums, right? Pierre's website doesn't work for me, either.

PuG
10-12-2006, 01:33 AM
Still looking for a download of this plugin :| real shame his site if offline as it doesn't appear that anyone has mirrored the file - would anyone here who already has a copy of beta 5 be willing to email it over?

Regards!

ZWF_BES
04-27-2007, 10:22 AM
Meanwhile there is version 0.9.8 available and it turned out to be a nice tool.

Only Mac support is sadly missing, but we got IntelMacs these days... :-) .

Get it at the beginning of this thread:

Lightwave2Ogre (http://www.ogre3d.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=17219)

tyrot
07-15-2007, 07:21 AM
dear pierre

that is one amazing exporter. Thank you sooooo much.

Best

MentalFish
08-11-2007, 08:22 AM
Nice one. I am not using Ogre at the moment, but its good to know that the LW exporter is in place atleast ( cant stick to ShockWave forever :) )

wtdedula
02-29-2012, 02:53 PM
Hello All;
I am working with a developer to develop a educational game using OGRE. Has anyone successfully used the Lightwave to OGRE plug-in to export a scene (.lws) ? I sent my developer a .scene file created with the Plug-In and it didn't seem to work right in exporting the layers and animations correctly. I am using Lightwave Version 10.1. I am able to export a .mesh file and it works but not a .scene file. Am I just doing something wrong, or is there a problem with exporting a .scene? Currently I'm looking at alternate ways to get a scene out of Lightwave but would rather use the Lightwave2OGre Plug-in as that is the quickest method.

To repeat my question - I'd like to verify that the Lightwave2OGre Plug-in works correctly to export a scene with animations to OGRE using LW10.1 or am I likely doing something wrong ?

Thanks.

Tim

shrox
02-29-2012, 02:56 PM
Oh, nevermind...