PDA

View Full Version : Transparency Issues

kiwi dave
02-06-2006, 02:08 AM
I'm rendering a character that is going to be semi-transparent, and I have encountered a problem that I'm hoping someone can help me with.

If you look at the attached image, you can see that the face is looking exactly the way I want it, but I can see parts of his ear etc in the background. How can I get rid or the background charcter elements so that they don't clutter up the foreground. The character will be posed in various scenes, so its not as easy as deleting the ear.

Any ideas? :confused:

Cheers

Dave

gerry_g
02-06-2006, 04:16 PM
I'm rendering a character that is going to be semi-transparent, and I have encountered a problem that I'm hoping someone can help me with.

If you look at the attached image, you can see that the face is looking exactly the way I want it, but I can see parts of his ear etc in the background. How can I get rid or the background charcter elements so that they don't clutter up the foreground. The character will be posed in various scenes, so its not as easy as deleting the ear. Dave

It looks like all your polys are flipped and you're looking at him from the inside out, take it into modeler and hit the F key to flip 'em right way out

kiwi dave
02-06-2006, 04:41 PM
No the polys aren't flipped, its just the transparency gradient thats been applied.

Dave

gerry_g
02-06-2006, 05:31 PM
No the polys aren't flipped, its just the transparency gradient thats been applied.

Dave

Sorry, it was what it looked like, if all you are trying to do is fake some sort of SSS on the skin or ears why not try translucency instead.

kiwi dave
02-06-2006, 06:11 PM
Translucency could be an option because the more I think about it the more impossible it seems. What I was trying to achieve was to have a semi-transparent person (ie just seeing a subtle shaded edge) so that a basic skeletal structure could be seen inside. I just don't want to see all of the background stuff - kind of like hidden line mode where you only see the front facing polys.

Thanks for your comments though Gerry.

Dave

pureandapplied
02-06-2006, 09:37 PM
Make the surface double sided. What looks wrong in the image is not that you can see the ear, but that you can't see any of the other surfaces from the inside. Think about it: if it was a real transparent object you _would_ see through to his ear, and the surface at the back of his head. If you want more realism (but >> render times) add refraction.

Or, try turning down the raytracing steps to 2 or 3. That way you'll see into him, but not back out the other side.

kiwi dave
02-07-2006, 12:28 AM
Pureandapplied the raytracing option sounds exactly what I'm looking for.

But how do I do it...?

Cheers

Dave

evenflcw
02-07-2006, 03:08 AM
Ray Recursions in the Render Options panel.

Clever trick btw!

kiwi dave
02-07-2006, 05:14 AM
BRILLIANT!!!!!!

Thanks for the help everyone. The ray recursions worked a treat!

Dave