PDA

View Full Version : Problems with modeling patches of a soccer ball

Palash
02-05-2006, 01:28 PM
I'm having a problem, with modeling a socerball for the world cup 2006.

I'm doing it by drilling the patches from a ball (I tried diffrent one, tessalation and normal globe one) and when I get the patches and I smooth shift them or extrude them I get a problem with the look of the material (smoothing is turned on).

I've been playing with this for a few hours trying difffrent ways to get the shift effect but can't solve it.

I attaches pictures 1 and 2 with the problem from LW and the view of orignal ball.

IMPERIAL
02-05-2006, 02:36 PM
To me, it looks like OpenGL problem, it should render fine.
Maybe you should check the point overlaping...the order of the points.

If it does not render fine... send the wireframe pic.

SplineGod
02-05-2006, 02:46 PM
It appears to be a smoothing error. Try playing with the smoothing angle on the surface. Also always do test renders because thiis may not show up in the render. :)

Palash
02-05-2006, 02:49 PM
It's not the openGl problem, I checked it a few times.

I playes with the smoothing angle, however I woul like to avoid using this as a solution.

SplineGod
02-05-2006, 02:53 PM
If youre not using subpatches then I would triple everything and I would make the parts youre working on separate surfaces. I would also still try playing with the smoothing angle on those surfaces. :)

Palash
02-05-2006, 03:01 PM
Well smoothing angle is now the only solution I have found.

Tripling doesn't make any change :-(

By the way does export to 3DS save smoothing angle information?

IMPERIAL
02-05-2006, 03:21 PM
As I can see you have polys with more then 4 points.. and some are lined in weird way. You could weld.. but..a lot of work...Since you have the points placed.. copy them, paste them...then select in order and create closed spline.. try to reduce them , create 4 points polys from those spline poins...then super shift.

I feel ashamed giving tips while spline god is doing the same.. :bowdown:

SplineGod
02-06-2006, 04:08 AM
I kind of banged this out and havent tweaked it but you get the idea.
The ball is a single object. I stenciled in the various areas and then used those to derive splines and create a spline cage. I patched it and then turned on subpatches.

KillMe
02-06-2006, 05:45 AM
ahhh thats impressive technique - really need to learn to use splines more

Palash
02-06-2006, 06:53 AM
It looks great, I have to play with the spline, I have never used spline cage, but today is a good day to start. :)

Palash
02-06-2006, 07:17 AM
I kind of banged this out and havent tweaked it but you get the idea.
The ball is a single object. I stenciled in the various areas and then used those to derive splines and create a spline cage. I patched it and then turned on subpatches.

Could you give some more details about using splinecage? For this object.

IMPERIAL
02-06-2006, 12:30 PM
Since you are doing it with polygons.. here is how to get clean quad ball.
1. Use subdivided box ShiftD 4 times and use Spherize to get nice rounded ball.
2. Stencil the shape of the black surface
3. Delete 3 quarters of the ball
4. Delete stenciled polygons
5. Clean all the points on the ball edges untill you get almost all quads
6. Mirror in all axis
7.Select one row of the points, copy, paste in another layer.
8.Create 4 points polys by hand.. exept for the tip.. then use bandsaw to subdivide. Use Spheize to make it round.. select half and paste it in the ball layer...merge points or weld. Paste again rotating.. using ActionCenter Origin.
9. Mirror again, but make sure you have Set Value to 0 on all 3 axis.
10. Study the object, you will find a way to get rid of the 3 points polys.
The rest.. you know.. super shift and create the gaps in the cross section with adding more geometry there.