PDA

View Full Version : Exterior at dusk

otacon
02-05-2006, 10:48 AM
Heres a render i did this weekend for fun. Ive never done an outside shot where you could see the inside of the house, and ive always liked those kind of scenes. Rendered with fprime, about 4 hours. Comments appreciated.

Edit: Ive softened the water a bit in post based on comments about the water being to hard.

Lightwolf
02-05-2006, 11:08 AM
Very nice... it really shows you have some excellent lighting skills. I love the atmosphere...

I do have a small gripe with the water surface... it looks more like ocean waves from far away than smaller ripples (too harsh imho).

Other than that minor crit... gorgeous.

Cheers,
Mike
P.S. my "suite" is standing next to me and she's blown away! - the "coder" ;)

Stooch
02-05-2006, 12:34 PM
Lighting is :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

the water, i suggest you put a null in the middle of the stream and then faloff your crumple texture along x or z (depends on the orientation) so that the ripples faloff or blend into a more subtle, turbulent texture along the edges of the pool. you can even animate the middle section moving along with the null and use motion blur for the water :)

apply a matching underwater procedural to the building that is blended in and with a greenish tint that could also be driven by the same null, maybe with a verticall falloff gradient... (i know these are single frame shots, but motion blur would help to smooth radiosity noise and reduce the quality settings needed) also low (20-40) % motion blur looks sweet even in still shots..

you should be able to reduce the time needed for render too.

the outer walls could also be a bit less perfect imo (very sharp edge), some roundness, weathering or just chips to the outline would add a nice contrast to the perfection of the building shapes. bloom or corona filters might look insteresting, especially on the water.

i could also see the dim, cloudy tip of the sun peaking over the far fence and blowing out a bit, casting some strong specular highlights on the windows and the specs of crystal in the concrete. Bloom glaring from the windows upstairs.

otacon
02-05-2006, 01:47 PM
Thanks guys. The water is the main concern with everyone right now. Mainly that the bumps are too high.

Those are great tips Stooch, i will have to try them out.

lesterfoster
02-05-2006, 06:22 PM
I very much like the lights on the left under the water. And the reflections on the right side, both under the water and above the water. I think that however, It would be a big improvement if you could add some light rays from the underwater lights on the left, to the reflection of the lights on the right side.