PDA

View Full Version : The Motion Of a Marble

paulmcg1
02-04-2006, 04:12 PM
Hi, I am looking to animate a marble rolling accross a metal surface. The surface will be metal and will have a slope in it. Basically if you look at the image I attached, I will be animating marbles rolling inside of the O for instance...on top of the line between the X and the T and having it fall into the V shape between the X and roll up onto the other side.

How do you think I can do this? Thanks

Paul M.

Axis3d
02-04-2006, 04:52 PM
I would probably hand keyframe it. Especially the marble that rolls across the flat part, then into the V shape and up onto the other side. Trying to do that with a dynamics simulation will probably have you pulling your hair out.

As far as the marble rolling inside of the O, you might try doing that with the dynamics. Make the O object a collision object and place the marble in it as a HardFX object with some gravity on it. Let it fall and see how it rolls for you. It might be better to just hand keyframe it though for more control.

hrgiger
02-04-2006, 06:34 PM
Personally, I would at least try the dynamics simulation first because that's what we have the dynamics for. Hand animating a roll can't be that easy, though admittedly, I've never attempted it. I imagine the translation of the marble would be fairly easy but I'm not so sure about rolling the ball on a few different axises and hand keying it to where it looks right.

Can you change the logo shape at all? Because I can't see the marble realistically rolling down that 'V' shape and then back up again. Can you make it a curve for a better roll surface?

SplineGod
02-05-2006, 03:11 AM
I would hand animate it as well. It doest look that complicated and you have absolute control of the outcome. You can sit there and fiddle with dynamics for a very long time sometimes and not quite get there. :)
If you do use hardfx have an invisible collision object so that the marble rolls across the V part. I would then go back with editfx and animate how it falls into the V by hand.