PDA

View Full Version : Monkey Takes a Trip

mbaldwin
02-04-2006, 02:22 PM
Hey all,

I just posted this final image on cgtalk:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=315712

'thought I'd post it here as well to see watcha think. Made in Lightwave and Photoshop(about a 60%-40% split).

thanks!

-m.

mbaldwin
02-04-2006, 02:25 PM
a few close-up views:

GregMalick
02-04-2006, 02:30 PM
I's say.... hmmmm... wonderful. :thumbsup:

I love the mood.

objuan
02-04-2006, 02:47 PM
Gorgeous! Really like it, especially monkeys pose, and all the jungle critters. I'd say tell all those people on CGtalk saying to crop the left to stick it. I love the composition, and knew what you were trying to convey before I read you explanation.

Very nice work. Kids books is indeed a fine sounding area fo ryou to look into.

5had0w
02-04-2006, 03:41 PM
Cool! Nice "Happy Land" =P

Nice work! :thumbsup:

thesir
02-05-2006, 02:37 AM
Totally awesome!! It makes me smile! :)

TomR
02-05-2006, 11:24 AM
I's say.... hmmmm... wonderful. :thumbsup:

I love the mood.

x 2. Very nice

Darrell
02-06-2006, 09:26 AM
great style & color...i'd love to see this animated hehe:)

Nicolas Jordan
02-12-2006, 10:58 PM
Great work! I agree with Darrell, this piece of work is screaming to be animated!

LCA
02-15-2006, 08:03 PM
That's really cool! :D

:)

Lindsay

Weetos
02-16-2006, 04:06 AM
This is oh so gooood ! it's simply gorgeous !

I love the style/mood. That's the best stuff of this kind I've seen in a while

Congratulations !!!! :thumbsup:

Kuzey
02-16-2006, 06:27 AM
Wonderful work!!!

:thumbsup:

Kuzey

JustAnotherBox
02-17-2006, 02:28 PM
That's really cute, EXTREMELY marketable stuff. I wish I could do that!

Cesar Montero
02-20-2006, 12:04 AM
I saw it first on cgtalk.
It is a wonderful piece man.
A lot of emotion, movement, color composition...everything.
Very pretty piece man!
GOtta new wallpaper now :D

mbaldwin
02-21-2006, 10:51 AM
hey all,

Thanks for the comments!

objuan: I appreciate that you 'got it'. I know that it was harder for others on the thread to do so. thanks.

Cesar: I'm glad you're putting the image to good use!

After I work my way clear of some other work, I'd like to go back to this. flesh out the story and put together a few for compositions.

thanks again all.

-m.

Stooch
02-21-2006, 02:11 PM
3 thumbs up.

fronzel
02-22-2006, 03:14 PM
wow! amazing! its so rich with color detail, super stylized, amazing, I love it.

monovich
02-22-2006, 08:35 PM
this is really great work, man. I loved the birthday cake scene, and this one is great, too. I envy you!

one *tiny* crit if I'm allowed to crit without being able to surpass:

the metal scaffolding and such all seems really uniform in texture and a little matte...

five stars!

mbaldwin
02-24-2006, 08:53 AM
Monovich,

On the scaffolding, it's a valid crit. and I can see your point. I don't mind the matte look overall(maybe it's just cause a higher specular level is done too often). But I agree with you. If I was to take another whack at this and revise it, it would be to make the scaffolding a little greasier, more rusty, up the little hits of detail a bit more. I think it would be a nice contrast to the toy-like bright colorful shapes of the jungle/animals.

toward the end, I felt like my battered hulk of a body washed up on the rocks of this piece. I was exhausted from laying in all the detail! Now a few weeks out, my energy's back and I'm ready for more of this style of 3d. I think I'll tackle some new images, part of the same story.

Exception
02-26-2006, 04:34 PM
I just so love this image... there's even bugs waving goodbye!
I love it, every bit of it, and me and my friends have been sitting here looking it over and picking out all the great and the even better parts. We discovered you used not thomas the tank engine but the 'engine that could', and... and... !!!!
its so fun!

What's the crown doing there?
Why are people saying it should be cropped? I think the emptyness on the left really shows the unknown of the trip...
I like it topo that noone is sad that monkey is leaving...
I left myself last year to far away and everyone was crying... it would have been so much better when there would be tiny cute giraffe and parrot and platypus and all the animals of the forest happily waving me goodbye...

riki
02-26-2006, 06:38 PM
Mmmm really nice work, would be fun to animate.

mbaldwin
02-28-2006, 02:02 PM
Riki: Thanks! regarding animation, rigging is such a foreign thing to me. I understand what it's for, but I haven't had the stones to slog through learning it. I always wind up exhausted after a detailed piece and don't have the wind to pick it up. I know I should, 'cause it would be incredibly helpful with even still images(or a series of stills based on the same theme). maybe this year.

Exception: Awww, that's a sweet reply--thanks! Regarding the crown, here's what I said on cgtalk(I'm pasting to save on keystrokes):

About the crown: I hope it's abiguous enough so that it works different ways for different people. For me, I thought it had nice formal similarities to the artichoke plant shapes that populate the ground. Also the hill on the right is one big crown.

Symbolically, I guess(trying not to be too forceful here) the monkey is leaving his innocent, open, beautiful child-world for the chance for a journey. I think the crown represents the hope for a special life. It lies just to the other side of the threshold in a newly-opened crate. Also, the movie equipment installed up and around the train hardware is meant to heighten the feeling of a unique story being told, as well as provide a post-modern wrapper to the scene, as if filtered through media.

Lastly, if this is just a movie, than what are the animals and plants? Props? or real live things? I kind of like the models in my illustrations to hover between these two possibilities. neither one or quite the other. It sort of sets up a vibration for me.

-m.

Bog
02-28-2006, 03:06 PM
Wow. What a charming, charming image.

It's really fascinating - I was really thinking hard about *why* the film equipment was there - was this a stage? Was it the wrap of a shoot? What's off to the left? And then when I read the story that goes with it... heh.

That's really lovely, mate. Technical acheivements aside, it actually got me thinking, and it evoked quite a few emotions. That's art. Thank you for sharing it.

Exception
02-28-2006, 04:40 PM
You're awesome. those are great thoughts and intentions. Although post modernism usually makes my skin crawl, I think it is downright in place here.

It's wonderful how you make a world which is attractive for children and incredible rich in detail and color, but at the same time allow for quite dense under layers of secondary meaning, intent and discourse, which appeals in several ways to a mature audience, not least in an academic sense.

I see you're in brooklyn... I'm in new haven, doing different things but similar thinking here at the university. Would you care having a drink sometime in the city (that is new york, i'm not asking you to come over to this .... place)?

agv
02-28-2006, 10:27 PM
Wow, I LOVE this!!! What a wonderful image! It's very inspirational to be sure. Your sense of color is fantastic. I could go on and on!

How much time would you guess was put into it? Is it possible to break it down into developing it, Lightwave, and Photoshop? Even just a guess would be interesting to hear.

Thanks and keep up the fantastic work!

ruud
03-01-2006, 06:10 AM
Magical! very good indeed! Nice use of color, I like what you did in the background, using 2d clip figures as a solution to fill the blank space. :thumbsup:

Also I must admit you have a great style in here, using nonsymetrical shapes as wel as perfect symetrical (as in the train)

Your rubber-hose figures are also wonderfull.. nothing bad to mention here! :hey:

Matt
03-02-2006, 01:35 PM
Awesome work, Proton is gonna love this!

Titus
03-03-2006, 01:29 PM
Beautiful image! tenderness in its maximum expression

lardbros
03-03-2006, 01:41 PM
Gorgeous colours and despite the back story to the image, it's really happy to me... and glorious colours make it so nice to look at!! Superb work, and would love to see more! :thumbsup:

parm
03-12-2006, 12:12 AM
What an utterly enchanting piece of work.

And to echo lardbros, would love to see more. :)